follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buddy Club Version 2 tail light Issue

In the Buddy Club instructions that come with the tail lights it claims that 2017+ cars don't need to install the provided LED relay switch.

I installed the tail lights on my 2017 brz and the sequential turn signal mode doesn't work. But the normal non-sequential mode works fine.

Here is a video of what the sequential mode turned on looks like with the factory denso relay switch installed.

https://imgur.com/Q5W4ctN

I contacted the shop that sold me the tail lights to see what sort of feedback they are getting from other 2017+ customers.

Their reply stated that 2017+ needed the buddy club relay switch installed and the sequential function would only when the hazards are activated but not when using the turn signal.

So I installed the provided buddy club LED relay switch and the turn signal does not function at all whether in sequential mode or normal mode.

After some hunting a found a guy in Korea that showed that both turn signal and hazard sequential functions should work at the same time on a 2017+ car.

Here is a video showing the sequential function working for turn signals and hazard mode.

https://imgur.com/mVNoPZy

So what exactly needs to be done to get the sequential function to perform normally?
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
LED86

Drives: Black 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Sounds like you need a new LED relay. Try that first
LED86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm actually having almost the exact same problem with the ft86speedfactory headlights. non sequential works fine, sequential+hazards works fine, and turn signal+sequential gives hyperflash. I'm pretty damn sure that I need a hyperflash relay
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
TachyonBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED86 View Post
Sounds like you need a new LED relay. Try that first
So are you suggesting that I need a new factory "denso" LED relay?

or

Are you suggesting that the Buddy Club LED relay that came with the tail lights could be bad?

my issue with the Buddy Club relay seeming like its broken is that the instructions state pretty clearly that the 2017+ year cars don't need the relay.

I remember seeing a thread a while ago that mentioned the wires in some tail lights need to be switched to have sequential functions work properly with north american cars. But this was an old thread and they where talking about an older style of lights. I can't seem to find that thread unfortunately to compare if this is the same issue.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
kevinpantz

Drives: 17 BRZ Series Yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interested to see if you figure out what causes the issue. I was so close to ordering these today too and by chance you posted this today while I'm searching the forums about it.
kevinpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinpantz For This Useful Post:
TachyonBomb (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #6
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
So are you suggesting that I need a new factory "denso" LED relay?

or

Are you suggesting that the Buddy Club LED relay that came with the tail lights could be bad?

my issue with the Buddy Club relay seeming like its broken is that the instructions state pretty clearly that the 2017+ year cars don't need the relay.

I remember seeing a thread a while ago that mentioned the wires in some tail lights need to be switched to have sequential functions work properly with north american cars. But this was an old thread and they where talking about an older style of lights. I can't seem to find that thread unfortunately to compare if this is the same issue.

It sure looks like hypeflash. I would order a cheap aftermarket non-hyperflash relay and see if that solves the problem. less that 10 bucks.
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fx1mark For This Useful Post:
TachyonBomb (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
It looks that the ON time from the relay is too low
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had the same problem with the original Buddy clubs, the stock relay and the buddy club relay and some other one didn't work either...I went back and forth with FT86speedfactory with different relays until they sent me a highpower one. That made everything work correctly on my 2017.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #9
TachyonBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
I had the same problem with the original Buddy clubs, the stock relay and the buddy club relay and some other one didn't work either...I went back and forth with FT86speedfactory with different relays until they sent me a highpower one. That made everything work correctly on my 2017.
Is the brand called HighPower? Do you have a link to the exact relay that worked for you?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
sorry, spelling error. I really dont know the brand, but they told me it was a high power 150 watts one. I just installed it and never really checked. They probably have it on their website.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #11
NRXRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
sorry, spelling error. I really dont know the brand, but they told me it was a high power 150 watts one. I just installed it and never really checked. They probably have it on their website.
duly noted. my problem was semi solved by turning the car on. now when the alternator is sending power to the turn signals, they work most of the time in sequential mode, but I still get hyperflash sometimes. hopefully op gets a hyperflash relay and his problems are solved
Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #12
TachyonBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
duly noted. my problem was semi solved by turning the car on. now when the alternator is sending power to the turn signals, they work most of the time in sequential mode, but I still get hyperflash sometimes. hopefully op gets a hyperflash relay and his problems are solved
Ordered a 150W hyper flash relay off amazon today for $11 with prime shipping. so I should be able to let you know on Wednesday how it works out.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
NRXRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
Ordered a 150W hyper flash relay off amazon today for $11 with prime shipping. so I should be able to let you know on Wednesday how it works out.
my breath is still bated
Old 07-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
TachyonBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
my breath is still bated
Because of "Prime Day" Amazon has been lagging with shipping. My tracking shows that it was delivered yesterday. I called amazon last night saying it was a no show. Amazon said it was an error on their part and will be arriving today.

To add to the whole clusterfuck, Amazon delivered my neighbors prime day shipment to my mailbox this morning by mistake.

...So I'm just as anxious as you are haha.