follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #43
MaximS

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This blue mustang is the most similar example I found, only I wasn't doing a burnout and I was going around the corner, but the right left and just a little too late correction back to right was basically what happened.
MaximS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #44
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Why do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximS View Post
Anyways, I needed to go make a quick run to Shoppers, so I went. On the way out I got into my car as usual, turned off traction control and started leaving the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #45
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Forgive me if I'm saying things that have already been said, or offering advice that has already been offered. I kind of skimmed through the first 3 pages of the thread so I might be repeating things here.

First of all, being hard on yourself and bashing yourself the way you are in your initial post is not going to help anything. Did you screw up? Yes, without a doubt. Should you not ever do anything like that ever again? Absolutely. But brow-beating yourself and calling yourself names like that speaks to a deeper self-esteem issue. I was like you when I was that age and having that kind of attitude toward yourself, despite what happened, is not healthy. Shit happens, you deal with it, and life goes on. Hopefully, as others have already said, you learn from your mistakes and grow as a person. To err is human, after all.

I, like everyone else in here, was young once too, and did some very stupid shit in motor vehicles. I have had Careless Driving pinned on me THREE times in my relatively short driving career so far, two of which were honestly undeserved, and was just the cop giving me Careless because he really had nothing else to give me (as TCoat mentioned, it's kind of a "blanket" ticket that they use when there's nothing else to charge you with), but one of which was completely and totally my fault.

What I can tell you, is that not a single one of those three charges stuck.

First thing you should do; TALK TO A PARALEGAL!! X-Coppers, Pointts, whatever. One of those places that specializes in traffic tickets. Usually they will offer you a free consultation, and most places won't make you pay unless they successfully get your charges dropped or reduced. Be completely and totally honest with them, and get their opinion on whether you stand a chance to get the charge reduced (I doubt you would be able to have it dropped in your instance, based on what you've shared with us). The fine sucks, but that's the least of your worries. At the very least, you should try to get the charge reduced to at least eliminate some of the demerit points, as that is what will really hurt you in the long run when it comes to insurance.

Two of my charges got knocked down to lesser charges with smaller fines and less points, and one of my charges was dropped completely. So there's really nothing to lose here. If it could potentially save you thousands of dollars in the long run for insurance, the $400 or $500 the paralegal will charge you will be worth it. What they hope for is that most people who receive a Careless charge will simply suck it up and pay the fine, but from what I've experienced, and what I've heard from other people who have experienced the same thing, it's an easy ticket to get reduced unless you were being a complete fucking moron, in which case they probably would have charged you with Dangerous instead.

Give yourself a smack on the head and learn from your mistakes, and get your chin up. Your life is not over, you are NOT the biggest idiot in the world. You are a young person who did something that most young people will do; this is life, and this is how you learn. Welcome to adulthood.

Good luck.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 06-13-2018 at 02:41 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLVRSRFR For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (06-13-2018), MaximS (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #46
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well tbh I get a military discount on insurance, and the lease isn't too bad. So after food, rent and everything else (mess dues, RRSP, tax deductions, this is all deducted automatically by the military) it takes up about 40% of my monthly disposable income. This still leaves me a fair chunk to take it to the track, gas money (I do a lot of weekend road trips) and whatever else.

Fortunately, despite my very little income (relatively), I'm 18 and have no responsibilities, other than my phone and my car. Other than that despite some pretty grim living conditions the government takes care of me.

I can afford my insurance tripling but that would really tie my hands, at that point I would do my best to have someone take over the lease. You see, I am pretty dumb yes, but don't believe I didn't do the math before signing the contract. I just underestimated how much I could fuck up in 4 months.
By tie your hands, are you at risk financially? If so, you've obviously got some stuff to figure out, but if you're not at risk financially, I see no reason to get rid of the car, unless you don't plan to keep it.

Stomach the cost if you're not at risk, I think that alone should teach you a lesson, mind you, we each have our own threshold for risk, but you're 18, so you have more than enough time to easily recoup from this.

And seriously, stop calling yourself dumb/idiot/etc, just do better, don't try, DO. The more you keep saying stuff like that, it just begins to sound like a half-ass excuse.

Edit: Do look into a paralegal like most are saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
MaximS (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #47
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Just grab some timbits & icecap & remember don't don't Don't turn off traction control.

oh and don't file for a claim, try to fix it yourself with friends and junk yard parts.. if the car still drives. :/
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #48
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
By tie your hands, are you at risk financially? If so, you've obviously got some stuff to figure out, but if you're not at risk financially, I see no reason to get rid of the car, unless you don't plan to keep it.

Stomach the cost if you're not at risk, I think that alone should teach you a lesson, mind you, we each have our own threshold for risk, but you're 18, so you have more than enough time to easily recoup from this.

And seriously, stop calling yourself dumb/idiot/etc, just do better, don't try, DO. The more you keep saying stuff like that, it just begins to sound like a half-ass excuse.
Alright you're right. I was just being a little hot headed and emotional. I understand a lot of you guys are older and this moving violation doesn't compare to more serious problems many people experience, but this is honestly one of the most difficult things I've dealt with in my short adult life.

But you're right about demeaning myself. I was mad and I also wanted to make it clear how much I was feeling down about it in order to weave out some of the insults and get a little more information and help.

Thanks though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaximS For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (06-13-2018), SLVRSRFR (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #49
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah well wanna bust my lease? Because I agree.
no no no, the kid doesn't need to be told he can't drive anything ever again... We've all had split seconds of misjudgment and shoudln't be castrated for it I mean.. No one was hurt and he learned his lesson.... Thats all that counts right? right?

And as for you @MaximS stop this. Admitting you are dumb doesn't make you not dumb.

Just fix the problem and stop caring about what ppl think fuck em.
GibbsFRS (06-13-2018), Jordanwolf (06-13-2018), MaximS (06-13-2018), SLVRSRFR (06-13-2018), Tcoat (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #50
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
I'm also in the market for a throwaway bumper I can use for track days. Mine took a beating on the last track day.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #51
MaximS

nvm
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #52
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Why do this?
Because 80% of the people on this forum will tell you that you are a puzzy that doesn't know how to drive and you should just buy a Corolla if you leave them turned on.
HKz (06-13-2018), Summerwolf (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #53
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Because 80% of the people on this forum will tell you that you are a puzzy that doesn't know how to drive and you should just buy a Corolla if you leave them turned on.
I mean, the limits of the car can be approached without turning off transaction control. So 79% of those people really need to do some learning about these cars. The minute traction control invades you're most definitely over the limits of the car.
wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #54
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
WHoever finds the sister thread to this but in the Challenger forums gets a high-five... I'd go look myself but that place sounds scary.
Clipdat (06-13-2018), SLVRSRFR (06-13-2018), wparsons (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #55
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
WHoever finds the sister thread to this but in the Challenger forums gets a high-five... I'd go look myself but that place sounds scary.
Just go to bodybuildingforums, I bet it's very similar to any "muscle" car forum.
TorontoNat (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #56
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No problem. Have a Corolla already
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
Cheeky (06-14-2018), Tcoat (06-13-2018)