follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #183
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
..have you seen one on the street..?
I saw it on the Nordschleife.

Technically a street, so....
Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 PM   #184
8inchAzN

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
So you're making arguments based on hypothetical vehicles now? I assume you're just here to troll, based on your posts thus far, lol.

Are you blind or did intentionally miss the part where I mentioned a real production minivan almost 2 seconds faster than a BRZ?
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:13 AM   #185
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
Are you blind or did intentionally miss the part where I mentioned a real production minivan almost 2 seconds faster than a BRZ?
I wasn't replying to that part of your post. Hence my not quoting that part of your post in my reply. As it seems you are the blind one, I quoted your statement about a Hellcat powered minivan, which you were using to further your argument. A pointless endeavour when the vehicle doesn't exist.

The other production "minivan" you mentioned was an AMG Mercedes that had a starting price of almost $110,000 in today's money. How is that in any way relevant to this discussion? Shall we also bring the Bentley Bentayga, or the Lamborghini Urus, into this discussion for good measure?

Don't be silly.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 06-01-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:03 AM   #186
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is there any real difference today between a minivan and crossover? If not, let's put in some crossovers like the Macan into the discussion. Just kidding....

In any event, why does anybody even care if a minivan is faster or slower? The only thing that matters is whether you like your car or not. When I get behind the wheel of a minivan, the driving experience is far different than our BRZ. IMO, minivans are just not fun to drive no matter how fast they are. The BRZ is a blast to drive even if I can't win any drag races with about 1/3 of the cars out there. Macan's are also a blast to drive, but the experience (and cost) is far different.

Our car is what it is. In my experience, you can ask if most cars have adequate power. I know a bunch of people who have 400hp and don't consider that adequate. That said, I have not met many Hellcat owners who said the same thing....

Man, if you really want power, do an engine swap or buy a top level Vette.... As for me, I'll just drive what I have with no performance mods (except for tires), and live with the smile on my face....
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
Rai-zero (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 AM   #187
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Stupid people say stupid shit about cars on the internet all the damn time. Don't trust them. Go drive one. If you feel you can live with the power, then get one and don't worry about what other people think. There are people who will tell you a 911 is too slow and you've gotta get the S, bro. They don't know things.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-04-2018), Rai-zero (06-01-2018), rvoll (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #188
8inchAzN

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I wasn't replying to that part of your post. Hence my not quoting that part of your post in my reply. As it seems you are the blind one, I quoted your statement about a Hellcat powered minivan, which you were using to further your argument. A pointless endeavour when the vehicle doesn't exist.

The other production "minivan" you mentioned was an AMG Mercedes that had a starting price of almost $110,000 in today's money. How is that in any way relevant to this discussion? Shall we also bring the Bentley Bentayga, or the Lamborghini Urus, into this discussion for good measure?

Don't be silly.
IF you shift the goal posts to a Minivan that out accelerates the BRZ that costs the same as a BRZ - and god forbid if that did exist, you will shift the goal post even further by claiming it won't handle as well as the BRZ- then you are correct. There is no Minivan that costs the same as a BRZ that can out accelerate it.

We are free to bring any Minivan that is or was available for purchase because that was what the discussion was, price was never part of the discussion.
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8inchAzN For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-04-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #189
atomicalex

Pacifica Hybrid? Torque from stall.... lol at the ironing of comparing minivans.

The twins are inexpensive itty bitty sports coupés. We should be glad they exist at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to atomicalex For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #190
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
IF you shift the goal posts to a Minivan that out accelerates the BRZ that costs the same as a BRZ - and god forbid if that did exist, you will shift the goal post even further by claiming it won't handle as well as the BRZ- then you are correct. There is no Minivan that costs the same as a BRZ that can out accelerate it.

We are free to bring any Minivan that is or was available for purchase because that was what the discussion was, price was never part of the discussion.
I'm not "shifting the goal posts." I'm pointing out that you are making unreasonable comparisons. Price is ALWAYS an underlying part of the comparison. So is the idea that we are obviously excluding special "crazy fast" edition vehicles. Otherwise there wouldn't be a point to any of these comparisons. Any reasonable discussion has reasonable limits. If you want to take things to the extreme just to validate your argument, that's fine, but you're turning the conversation into something other than what was intended.

One of your comparisons was a vehicle that doesn't exist.

The other was a vehicle with a starting price that, in today's money, was more than TWICE that of the most expensive Toyota Sienna you can buy.

It's also not *really* a minivan, but I'll let that one slide since it's commonly referred to as one by people who think sliding doors are what make minivans uncool.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #191
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I'm starting to lean toward the slightly inadequate, and the torque curve is to blame. I'm in 6th, doing about 90-100 kmh on the highway, a lane opens up and I wanna quickly overtake. So I shift down to 5th, and speed climbs so slowly, so I shift down to 4th. Still not really enough. I love how alive it feels at 5K+ rpm, but sometimes getting there is a pain. Meanwhile in my old Mini, which was turbocharged, I could squeeze the throttle in 6th and make quicker progress cause all the power was down low. Hopefully a UEL and a tune helps that, but at this point I gotta say I can't wait to get me an Edelbrock. In a way I did buy the wrong car, but it IS rear wheel drive, two door, manual, light, and with great handling and looks, with just the speed missing. I feel that once that's addressed, it'll be exactly the car I want.
mike_ekim1024 (06-02-2018), Rai-zero (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #192
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I'm starting to lean toward the slightly inadequate, and the torque curve is to blame. I'm in 6th, doing about 90-100 kmh on the highway, a lane opens up and I wanna quickly overtake. So I shift down to 5th, and speed climbs so slowly, so I shift down to 4th. Still not really enough. I love how alive it feels at 5K+ rpm, but sometimes getting there is a pain. Meanwhile in my old Mini, which was turbocharged, I could squeeze the throttle in 6th and make quicker progress cause all the power was down low. Hopefully a UEL and a tune helps that, but at this point I gotta say I can't wait to get me an Edelbrock. In a way I did buy the wrong car, but it IS rear wheel drive, two door, manual, light, and with great handling and looks, with just the speed missing. I feel that once that's addressed, it'll be exactly the car I want.
I was completely fine with "just" 200hp, and headers and a GOOD tune (not that OFT garbage) definitely fixed the dip.

But man, once you go FI, its unbelievable. at 7lbs of boost ~280whp and full boost at 3200 RPM it handles exacly the same, and no need to downshift to pass. Just give it a touch of gas and you're zooming past people.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #193
atomicalex

Um, 6 to 4 is one shift....
Old 06-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #194
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Um, 6 to 4 is one shift....
What about 6 to 3?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #195
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
6 to 1 for instant torque.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #196
atomicalex

All of the shifs are just one.

Wait. The flappy paddle people. I forget about them. Oops.