follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #1023
kimcheefists

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfilmer View Post
what gauges are you guys using? having a hard time figuring out which one to get

I’m using Defi gauges for oil pressure and boost. As far as AFR, I’m using AEM. I’d recommend both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kimcheefists is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kimcheefists For This Useful Post:
thecarfilmer (04-08-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #1024
mrloko

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone that have this kit running 5 PSI ? is that even possible with this kit and a tune?
mrloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #1025
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloko View Post
Anyone that have this kit running 5 PSI ? is that even possible with this kit and a tune?
You'd have to get the 5PSI spring for the wastegate since it comes with a 7PSI spring. I have the spring, just haven't decided if I want to turn down the boost haha
Old 05-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #1026
Astroboy

Drives: None
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Can anybody help me figure out where to tap the bov hose line? I own an avo kit and asked people there but the thread has been somewhat dead. Here's a picture of work. You can see on the left where i spliced the t valve. Its blue.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #1027
kimcheefists

JDL turbo kit owners thread

I believe JDL’s instructions tell you to tap it into the brake booster line below the check valve. I also had a JRSC and they also recommended tapping it from there also.

Here’s a picture of my engine bay during installation. The brake booster line is circled in red.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimcheefists For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #1028
Astroboy

Drives: None
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcheefists View Post
I believe JDL’s instructions tell you to tap it into the brake booster line below the check valve. I also had a JRSC and they also recommended tapping it from there also.

Do you mind if I ask for a picture ☺

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #1029
kimcheefists

The brake booster line is in the circled area. The line is an upside down U that connects directly to the right intake manifold port.

The Following User Says Thank You to kimcheefists For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (05-29-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #1030
mrloko

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
You'd have to get the 5PSI spring for the wastegate since it comes with a 7PSI spring. I have the spring, just haven't decided if I want to turn down the boost haha
I'm looking to run as reliably as possible
mrloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #1031
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloko View Post
I'm looking to run as reliably as possible
Then don't boost it.

You will break something eventually if you boost it.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #1032
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Why is it so difficult to communicate with them. Never reply to emails until I call in and ask them to reply. Order was placed a while ago but they tell me a different story about some stuff. I hear it's one of the best turbo kit out there but why so unorganized to the point they can't communicate properly or even keep note of specific details with the sale.

나의 SM-G955U 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Last edited by dkstylezz; 06-12-2018 at 05:27 PM.
dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #1033
bryan.catano93

Drives: 2013 frs
anybody knows the bolt sizes for this kit? one of my dowpipe to turbo bolts went missing..

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
bryan.catano93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #1034
grichardt

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Take one of the others out, go to a hardware store and match the threads.... for sure they will have something
Old 06-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #1035
kimcheefists

Does anyone with the Garrett GT/GTX series have any problems with the turbo blowing oil into the exhaust?

I first noticed smoke after I removed the cat. The smoke would begin only after the car was warm during idle and higher load. After doing some troubleshooting, I noticed a pool of oil in the turbine housing when I removed the downpipe. So after reading a ton of articles on what makes a turbo smoke, I concluded that my turbo was improperly clocked and having problems with oil drainage.

I removed the turbo, got it rebuilt, and reinstalled the turbo. I reclocked the turbo to as much of a vertical angle I could, limited only by the T3 exhaust flange. When measuring the angle of the oil fittings on the turbo after everything was installed, it came out to about 20 degrees.

I drove the car for about 50 miles and I was still having some smoke when warm and at idle. I was hoping that reclocking the turbo would fix the issue but it apparently did not so the next problem that I thought was the issue was the placement of the oil drain fitting at the oil pan. When disconnecting the oil drain hose from the oil pan, oil poured out of the bung telling me that the drain is placed below the level of the oil in the sump, preventing the oil from draining freely into the oil pan from the turbo. So I installed an oil scavenge pump that essentially sucks oil out of the turbo CHRA and pushes it into the oil pan.

Installing the scavenge pump helped a little with the smoking issue but my exhaust is still slightly smoking whenever starting from a stop. I've been checking my oil level everytime I get home and haven't noticed any loss after driving for about 180ish miles since I installed the scavenge pump.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had/have the turbo blowing oil. Also, is 20 degrees too extreme of an angle for the oil to drain properly? I'm really at a loss for anything else I could do to stop this problem if it is a problem..
Old 06-26-2018, 12:02 AM   #1036
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcheefists View Post
Does anyone with the Garrett GT/GTX series have any problems with the turbo blowing oil into the exhaust?

I first noticed smoke after I removed the cat. The smoke would begin only after the car was warm during idle and higher load. After doing some troubleshooting, I noticed a pool of oil in the turbine housing when I removed the downpipe. So after reading a ton of articles on what makes a turbo smoke, I concluded that my turbo was improperly clocked and having problems with oil drainage.

I removed the turbo, got it rebuilt, and reinstalled the turbo. I reclocked the turbo to as much of a vertical angle I could, limited only by the T3 exhaust flange. When measuring the angle of the oil fittings on the turbo after everything was installed, it came out to about 20 degrees.

I drove the car for about 50 miles and I was still having some smoke when warm and at idle. I was hoping that reclocking the turbo would fix the issue but it apparently did not so the next problem that I thought was the issue was the placement of the oil drain fitting at the oil pan. When disconnecting the oil drain hose from the oil pan, oil poured out of the bung telling me that the drain is placed below the level of the oil in the sump, preventing the oil from draining freely into the oil pan from the turbo. So I installed an oil scavenge pump that essentially sucks oil out of the turbo CHRA and pushes it into the oil pan.

Installing the scavenge pump helped a little with the smoking issue but my exhaust is still slightly smoking whenever starting from a stop. I've been checking my oil level everytime I get home and haven't noticed any loss after driving for about 180ish miles since I installed the scavenge pump.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had/have the turbo blowing oil. Also, is 20 degrees too extreme of an angle for the oil to drain properly? I'm really at a loss for anything else I could do to stop this problem if it is a problem..
Maybe blowby lil from crank? Do you have a catchcan?

나의 SM-G955U 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote