follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #225
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've only used 0w20 in mine since day one.

When the repair was completed last August, I got "the works", so OCV's, cam gear, ECU and all related smaller parts and pieces, but only on the one side.

The light that is currently showing up is not the same, symptom-wise, as when I had the P0018 code. In that instance, the slip light comes on WITH the CEL and stays on permanently, and the car goes into "limp" mode, with a noticeable dip in power.

The light I currently have is JUST the CEL, with intermittent flashing of the slip light, but it does not stay illuminated for more than 5 seconds at a time.

I also am not in "limp" mode even slightly. The car still feels like it has all it's "balls" and all it's power. So I'm confused as to what exactly the hell is happening right now.

Again I really want to get it scanned while the light it still on, cause that is step number one in hoping to diagnose it, but every time I try to get it scanned, the damn light turns itself off again before I have a chance to get the car plugged in (as I do not have an OBD scanner or OFT).

Cheers! Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #226
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty959 View Post
I think I'm the only person in this thread who has done the replacement them self, so I suppose I'm the best person to ask. I'll go ahead and say I've been checking this thread less since my problem seems fixed, so feel free to pm me if I don't respond.

The exhaust (bottom) sprockets dont have those flaps, so no need to check/replace them. I only replaced both intake (top) sprockets.

2nd, I assume you are looking at the engine tech manual? (http://www.ft86club.com/files/BRZengine.pdf) It goes over the process in pretty good detail. I spent a significant amount of time going over it to ensure I understood the process, because as you mention, you don't want to mess this up. Once you get the passenger's bank in place and chain off you can safely rotate the crank. I rotated to the indicated position to remove the driver's sprockets, and didn't touch the crank until I had the driver's chain back on. The colored plates on the chain are super useful to ensure the timing is in the right spot putting the chain back on. The crank is tough to spin at certain points when you don't have the passenger's timing chain on, the valves are all closed so the pressure isn't released. I just went slow so pressure could drop on it's own.

Be incredibly careful to not leave any rtv pieces in the engine or timing cover. There have been reports of blown engines from those little bits making their way into an oil channel.
Yes, I am using that manual, but the mistake we made was leaving the car in Reverse when loosening the Crankshaft pulley and then loosening the tensioners. Timing jumped and the crankshaft spun. Not wanting to risk bending anything, I'm having to pull the engine to look down the spark plugs when turning the crank. While I'm at, I'm replacing the plugs, exhaust sprockets, chains, and any other gaskets I find along the way.

I know you don't 'have' to replace the exhaust sprockets but after talking to several mechanics, they all agreed that when replacing any sprocket/chain/etc, you should do all of them. Even if looking perfect, they could have worn, stretched, etc, and it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially since all the work put in to crack it open.
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #227
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghurl View Post
So I just (this weekend), changed the ECU as well and saw an immediate change in the VVT learning values for the intake VVT(there was previously a 20 degree spread with no change after 3 weeks, now the spread is 4 degrees and I could see it change as the first 2 drive cycles went on).
I'm just curious, what are the "VVT learning values" you are referring to? Where can you view that? I have Techstream setup but don't recall seeing anything in there named like that. Are you referring the spread between VVT Target vs. VVT Actual?
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #228
kinghurl

Drives: BlueBurz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The SW used by the dealerships show these values and they're used as guides to check if key engine parameters are within design specs. The learning value is the value of the intake cam when it is most retarded by the ecu.
I used ecutek to read my ecu before and learning values were not part of their SW displayed values. I could only tell vvt angles. So it may be something only visible with special SW.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
kinghurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #229
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghurl View Post
The SW used by the dealerships show these values and they're used as guides to check if key engine parameters are within design specs. The learning value is the value of the intake cam when it is most retarded by the ecu.
I used ecutek to read my ecu before and learning values were not part of their SW displayed values. I could only tell vvt angles. So it may be something only visible with special SW.

Techstream is that special software though. I guess I will have to look through everything in there again.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #230
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
From what I was told, the "learning values" being off by too much is what necessitates the ECU swap in the first place, as I was told these values "burn in" and cannot be reset.

I believe if they are more than 10 degrees off, they look to replace ECU. I believe mine were 14 degrees apart when I had my P0018 pop up last summer.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #231
kinghurl

Yes, that's what I learned this time around. 10 is the threshold. Mine were 15 off this time. Not sure what they were the last time.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:36 AM   #232
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Wow, 17 pages on this thread and still not sure after reading it and other threads on what to do
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #233
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hi All. Just curious, is there a consensus that this P0016 code issue is more common to the early build (2013-2015) models? Would 2016-current year models have the updated cam sprocket design, and are less prone to these issues? Thanks.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #234
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,615 Times in 18,979 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
Wow, 17 pages on this thread and still not sure after reading it and other threads on what to do
Yes, it's that much of a mystery. I'm looking forward to plugging into your car this weekend if you have time.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #235
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
If anyone has one of these OBDLink doohickeys, their software can now monitor vvt data real time.

I put together this dashboard with all the parameters that I figured were significant. A couple, like the target and actual angles, are intuitive but I don't know what the others mean. There are a couple times in this clip where the actual value seems to lead the target. I think that's aliasing due to the low sample rate. ...I think.

Is there a way to export that dashboard? My OBDlink dongle got trashed, I've got another dongle and have been using Torque but I still have that software maybe it'll work with the different device idk... I'm just being lazy since Torque didn't have those parameters selectable when I was messing with it earlier today but they'll probably show up when I plug in the adapter.

Edit: Ok the OBDlink app doesn't work with other dongles, Torque doesn't spit out the VVT values naturally so I have to go hunting for them and create the PID's manually as quick googling doesn't show them... or buy another OBDlink but I don't wanna spend another $50

The rambling point is that I got P0011 years ago, ignored it, plugged in my OFT this morning and saw that my Intake VVT value was borked reading 100% and 'spiking' down to 0% intermittently. Command values look good and OFT doesn't distinguish which bank is problematic, maybe it's taking an average? idk

Fingers crossed it's just the sensor/shimming and I don't have to take the valve cover off, but I've also got an oil leak that may be the TSB or it may be the cover. I've got a fun weekend ahead. I'd also be a candidate for the 'ECM burn-in' values if I've really been driving around for 3+ years on a bogus sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
How to fix it isn't a total mystery, investigate sensors -> oil control valve -> camshaft sprocket assy -> ECM

Sensor diagnostics:
S-SB-0033-13 or 11-130-13R
OCV/Camshaft diagnostics:
02-132-12
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

Last edited by strat61caster; 04-17-2018 at 11:36 AM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #236
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,615 Times in 18,979 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
How to fix it isn't a total mystery, investigate sensors -> oil control valve -> camshaft sprocket assy -> ECM

Sensor diagnostics:
S-SB-0033-13 or 11-130-13R
OCV/Camshaft diagnostics:
02-132-12
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868
It's a mystery to anyone without a background in controls and intimate knowledge of the source code.

I understand how, for the sake of expediency, the troubleshooting procedures were written. I'm frustrated with the secrecy.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #237
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
So after a month on the new ECM, p0016 came back again. I'm going to drop it off at the dealership & complain in a couple of days.

I wonder, if they have to change the cam sprocket this time, will I need to pay for it (the ECM change was covered under the emissions warrenty)

I'm 8k miles over the drivetrain warrenty.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #238
kinghurl

What year is your car?