follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #43
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Once you get your car back you need to install some sort of heated covers on your pedals so you're not tempted to drive in socks again.

maybe they can add heated pedals as part of the cold weather package
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCA1ST For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (02-01-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #44
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is what the MT is for.

There are worse things than bare feet for driving

Right. Wait til you get to the club and then put them on. Ain't that so topcoat?
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 05:24 PM   #45
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCA1ST View Post
thanks for the best wishes guys, the wait to hear from the shop is brutal. They had it all day yesterday and said they would have the estimate together by COB...crickets so far. Their appraiser said he thought it would be fixable, but that the damage was more extensive than it appeared (not sure what that means). Hood and bumper are obvious, the top support bracket and the factory airbox (had perrin tube, also destroyed) and MAF are smashed (somewhat concerned about plastic bits getting into the engine as it ran for ~15sec after the impact and the MAF housing was disintegrated). Both fenders are buckled and pushed back near the doors, the frame connectors that the fenders are bolted to also looked tweaked.
Of course it is fixable -- My damage in a crash almost identical to yours was caused by a foot-long trailer hitch which impaled my car just inboard of the left headlight. Most of the front end bodywork needed replaced, including the frame bar that runs across the top front. But, after a month and $7500, it was absolutely perfect once again, with all OEM parts. Have faith!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:40 PM   #46
pfaffendorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
Right. Wait til you get to the club and then put them on. Ain't that so topcoat?
Truly funny -- those "kinky boots" are fabulous. You noticed, of course, that the vdeo was captured during a sashay up a treadmill? Must have been training for one of those "drag races" on the beach, sponsored by the inimitable RuPaul!

By the way, my predisposition is to do everything barefoot, but while driving, shoes are as needful as the seat belt. Without them, I feel uncomfortably naked.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #47
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
maybe they can add heated pedals as part of the cold weather package
Or maybe, just maybe, drive wearing shoes from now on? Glad you're ok but where did you pick up the idea to drive with no shoes? Initial D??

The average person wears shoes to drive, pro racers wear racing shoes to drive, i would have thought the common practice is to wear shoes for driving.

Get yourself a pair of chuck taylor all stars. $40 and pretty decent driving shoes that gives good feedback.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #48
Lynxis

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, drive wearing shoes from now on? Glad you're ok but where did you pick up the idea to drive with no shoes? Initial D??

The average person wears shoes to drive, pro racers wear racing shoes to drive, i would have thought the common practice is to wear shoes for driving.

Get yourself a pair of chuck taylor all stars. $40 and pretty decent driving shoes that gives good feedback.
It's easy for us in Canada to take for granted that shoes are a year-round requirement because not wearing them means burnt soles in the summer and frostbite in the winter. Other parts of the world may not have that problem.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #49
pfaffendorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My 58 Ford hood opened backwards and with it's lack of two catches and tendency to lift a bit at speed it always sort of worried me. No crumple zones or bend points meant it was coming right through the windshield in the event of a crash.

At least if it opened at speed, you still might be able to see over it, unlike rear-hinged hoods that would immediately become a blackout window shade . . .

By the way, T, I always thought the '57 was the last pretty Ford, but that black hardtop coupe has changed my mind. I bet you wish you still had it. It's yummy.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #50
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
At least if it opened at speed, you still might be able to see over it, unlike rear-hinged hoods that would immediately become a blackout window shade . . .

By the way, T, I always thought the '57 was the last pretty Ford, but that black hardtop coupe has changed my mind. I bet you wish you still had it. It's yummy.

Mine wasn't a hard top that was just the best picture I could find of the hood. I didn't like the 58 Fairlanes much since the body style was a bit much. Mine was a Custom 300 todor sedan. They were just a bit shorter overall and the more straight, subdued fins looked better to me.
I do miss it but the reality was I have no place to work on one anymore. I still get to visit it once in a while since it is still driven and local so it pops up at meets a couple of times a year.

A bit too much

More subdued (not mine since it never got painted)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #51
pfaffendorn

Quote:
. . . yeah, my MAF housing was in a million pieces and there is a good chance some of them ended up in the engine.
Story time, if you'll pardon me. Before my BRZ, I had a Mazda Protege ES: nifty little sedan with a five-speed and a 2.0 16-valve DOHC 4-banger. I loved it for 225k miles, as it handled remarkably similar to our twins. Some folks called it the 4-door Miata . . .

Well, an engine issue cropped up which made me laugh until it happened to me: apparently something like a bracket inside the cylinder head was attached with rivets instead of screws and over time they loosened, fell out and were sucked right into the combustion chambers. It was one at a time with maybe a couple thousand miles in between events, but the engine would suddenly go rough, and twice the rivets killed the engine dead like somebody jammed a tire pump in your spokes.

The dealer wanted north of $1000 for a new cylinder head (in my opinion, it should have been done for free, even if the warranty was expired, as this was a factory defect, after all), the urgent implication being that the rivet would get caught in a valve that was closing, thereby doing large damage. Since nothing like that had ever happened to my engine, I said no thank you. What did happen each time a rivet went wandering was that before it disintegrated it would hit the spark plug and close the gap. I think all told I pulled three or four plugs, regapped as necessary, and voila, perfect performance restored. The syndrome eventually petered out as the engine got tired of eating itself alive, and we lived happily ever after . . .

I hope y'all found some amusement in a tale of automotive perversity.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #52
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,211 Times in 3,488 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Story time, if you'll pardon me. Before my BRZ, I had a Mazda Protege ES: nifty little sedan with a five-speed and a 2.0 16-valve DOHC 4-banger. I loved it for 225k miles, as it handled remarkably similar to our twins. Some folks called it the 4-door Miata . . .

Well, an engine issue cropped up which made me laugh until it happened to me: apparently something like a bracket inside the cylinder head was attached with rivets instead of screws and over time they loosened, fell out and were sucked right into the combustion chambers. It was one at a time with maybe a couple thousand miles in between events, but the engine would suddenly go rough, and twice the rivets killed the engine dead like somebody jammed a tire pump in your spokes.

The dealer wanted north of $1000 for a new cylinder head (in my opinion, it should have been done for free, even if the warranty was expired, as this was a factory defect, after all), the urgent implication being that the rivet would get caught in a valve that was closing, thereby doing large damage. Since nothing like that had ever happened to my engine, I said no thank you. What did happen each time a rivet went wandering was that before it disintegrated it would hit the spark plug and close the gap. I think all told I pulled three or four plugs, regapped as necessary, and voila, perfect performance restored. The syndrome eventually petered out as the engine got tired of eating itself alive, and we lived happily ever after . . .

I hope y'all found some amusement in a tale of automotive perversity.

Rivetting!! I'm just glad you managed to vent your spent fuel.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #53
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Truly funny -- those "kinky boots" are fabulous. You noticed, of course, that the vdeo was captured during a sashay up a treadmill? Must have been training for one of those "drag races" on the beach, sponsored by the inimitable RuPaul!

By the way, my predisposition is to do everything barefoot, but while driving, shoes are as needful as the seat belt. Without them, I feel uncomfortably naked.

noooooooooooooooooooooooo what have you done.... "SASHAY, AWAY".
Old 02-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #54
MRCA1ST

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
where did you pick up the idea to drive with no shoes? Initial D??

I think it started with my right knee hurting from having my foot at an angle for extended periods of time (I am in my car for almost 4 hours a day). I wound up preferring it for aggressive driving in my Z06, just kind of carried it over to my BRZ
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #55
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,018 Times in 2,338 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I think it started with my right knee hurting from having my foot at an angle for extended periods of time (I am in my car for almost 4 hours a day). I wound up preferring it for aggressive driving in my Z06, just kind of carried it over to my BRZ
I used to have similar issues with my right knee on long drives. Despite how empty it is, taking my wallet out of my back left pocket before driving helped a lot.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #56
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,077 Times in 1,189 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

OP don't feel too bad. I was once moving my S2000 forward a few feet in my garage (shortly after washing it) when my sandals were wet and my foot slipped off the clutch pedal when the engine was idling high (cold engine). Clutch dumped, spun the tires, and launched the car less than 8 feet into a pole (pole's sole purpose was to prevent a car from hitting the hot water heater - it worked). $5500 in damage to the car.

Reason I couldn't hit the brake pedal or yank the parking brake in time is because I was sitting sideways in the car, half out of it. (RIGHT foot on clutch pedal). So stupid. Never again...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
MRCA1ST (02-06-2018), new2subaru (02-02-2018), Tcoat (02-02-2018)