follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #57
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,813 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treminaor View Post
Last time I took it to the dealer they blamed my lowering springs and wanted to charge me $400 out of warranty to fix it after already taking me for $160 to diagnose the problem. No mention of if they would replace the drive shaft, only the axle nuts were in question. Is that a reasonable thing to blame? Will this happen again if I don't remove the springs? I'm on RCE Yellows with stock struts.
That's a bullshit excuse. Ask them how much the trd springs lower the car.

No, it will not happen again. Even with excessive lowering, the CV joints give out way before anything else.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #58
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That's a bullshit excuse. Ask them how much the trd springs lower the car.

No, it will not happen again. Even with excessive lowering, the CV joints give out way before anything else.
Lol that's a great response to use, thanks. I don't ever want to go to that dealer again, I'll try the one 30mi away in Fairfield before I ever deal with them again.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:19 AM   #59
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
If you only buggered the outermost threads, those should clean up. Would not be a showstopper.
There are no outer threads, the threads stop well before where the crimp happens, if you've buggered up any of the axle threads you've done something royally wrong, like hit them with a hammer or drop the axle or cross threaded it. I blasted mine off with an impact without lifting the crimp, it did less cosmetic damage than trying to pry it off with a screwdriver did which made all kinds of gouges and scratches.

Replaced mine at ~40k and suspect I'll have to do it again at 80k (currently 63k), the only abnormal driveline noise I have right now is the e-brake click, but that only happens when the e-brake is engaged and the car moves (like when I get in or out) if I want to fix it I lubricate inside the drum whatever it is that's dried out.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 AM   #60
Ultramaroon
extra what?

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,813 Times in 19,087 Posts
Mentioned: 1111 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
There are no outer threads, the threads stop well before where the crimp happens,
Oh! I see that. I'm starting to really question the design. ...material spec, ...tolerance, ...something.

This shouldn't need a do-over. The nut is supposed to be there to cinch up the two pieces axially. That's all. I don't get it.

The drum brakes are just sloppy. They float around less if adjusted as closely as possible before binding.