follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #15
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,022 Times in 2,215 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Those contaminates in the aluminum are what determine the physical properties of the final product.
Some good properties or some bad properties.

At a local air shop, I was part of a group that was responsible for destructive testing on each and every job lot of new material coming in the door.
It got rejected if it did not meet the requirements. They still do that and keep meticulous records that go along with the lot.

I'm relatively sure there won't be any local airframes breaking unexpectedly. Expectedly is a different kettle of fish.
If they were getting sub-spec materials, they'd know about it fairly sharpish and would have said something.
Maybe not on motoring.au though.

I was in the jury pool once in federal court for a case that involved a storage company that lost the papers for a pile of structural material in their care.
Worth millions if the papers are still with them. $42.32 without papers for scrap (relatively).

Oh! I know all about this shiz! [jump up and down waving hands]

I didn't get selected for that jury.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-16-2017), Tcoat (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Those contaminates in the aluminum are what determine the physical properties of the final product.
Some good properties or some bad properties.

At a local air shop, I was part of a group that was responsible for destructive testing on each and every job lot of new material coming in the door.
It got rejected if it did not meet the requirements. They still do that and keep meticulous records that go along with the lot.

I'm relatively sure there won't be any local airframes breaking unexpectedly. Expectedly is a different kettle of fish.
If they were getting sub-spec materials, they'd know about it fairly sharpish and would have said something.

I was in the jury pool once in federal court for a case that involved a storage company that lost the papers for a pile of structural material in their care.
Worth millions if the papers are still with them. $42.32 without papers for scrap (relatively).

A bodyshop in the states lost a laws suit for like 10's of millions because they glued the roof back onto a Honda Fit instead of welding it. This reduced the structural integrity and "Safety cage" of the vehicle. They got into an accident. Boom

So this relates to your post because companies are now suing Kobe and apparently in the automotive sector the aluminium was mainly used in trunks/hatches/hoods and roofs of Japanese vehicles...all of which would affect the structural integrity and safety cages of the vehicle

this could be a huge huge deal if anyone has been injured or hurt. Like Takata and one defective part ruining their business. (That and hiding it, just like Kobe did)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
A bodyshop in the states lost a laws suit for like 10's of millions because they glued the roof back onto a Honda Fit instead of welding it. This reduced the structural integrity and "Safety cage" of the vehicle. They got into an accident. Boom

So this relates to your post because companies are now suing Kobe and apparently in the automotive sector the aluminium was mainly used in trunks/hatches/hoods and roofs of Japanese vehicles...all of which would affect the structural integrity and safety cages of the vehicle

this could be a huge huge deal if anyone has been injured or hurt. Like Takata and one defective part ruining their business. (That and hiding it, just like Kobe did)
Link to further info? I can find nothing about lawsuits. The attached only talks about a couple of manufacturers and only mentions doors and hoods.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

Cuz they didn't want to keep dealing with a hung jury.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Link to further info? I can find nothing about lawsuits. The attached only talks about a couple of manufacturers and only mentions doors and hoods.
Uncle Intel don't need no links.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #20
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hey Tcoat, I will look. There is this from bloomberg but I based my statement on the CBC Radio 1 and their business analyst talking about it.

Over 500 firms affected, unlikely people will not pass on legal liability to Kobe http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp...-affected.html
Old 10-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,483 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

This is why there's not much reason to panic. When people's lives (or investments on the order of several hundred million dollars and up) are at risk there is extensive testing performed on ERRYTHANG. Bad batches on important shit would have been rejected long ago.

Just gotta keep on living life or the terroris- I mean capitalists win.

The bigger potential problem is not with Kobe, but rather with the producers of the end product not doing their due diligence to test everything to the standard it needs to be tested to. If any company is truly shitting bricks right now it's their own fault for not verifying what they buy. Kobe doesn't get a free pass, but there's typically not a single point failure that can doom an end product when it comes to material science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Over 500 firms affected, unlikely people will not pass on legal liability to Kobe http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp...-affected.html
FYI The Daily Mail is not a reliable news source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

"The Daily Mail is a British daily middle-market[2][3] tabloid newspaper owned by the Daily Mail and General Trust[4] and published in London."

This is only a story because of the fucking 24 hour news cycle having nothing better to talk about, should be a 5 minute story on the 6 o'clock news and in a month another blip on any repurcussions not fucking pages and pages of bullshit by people who don't have any idea what the problem actually is.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #22
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is A LOT of mis-information in this thread.

I work in metal working industry. Most shops..even.."aerospace" shops do not care enough to request "certs"(certifications). Have heard stories where they even know the material is bad or the wrong grade ..but since it is for an aircraft seat bracket it's okay.

Most in the industry have seen the decline in quality in grades. From welders to machinists...we know we are working with crap. Most of it is all the same too in how bad it is. A guy I knew studying engineering was testing automotive rims, half the wheels didn't have the metals they were supposed to have and the other half had to much shit they werent' supposed to. The asian market is laughing at us melting anything and everything together. They don't give a shi%t about it either.

PS- Any LARGE corporations using this metal in stamping or machining LARGE quantities should have done in house testing for sure. I do agree with that.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
krayzie (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
This is why there's not much reason to panic. When people's lives (or investments on the order of several hundred million dollars and up) are at risk there is extensive testing performed on ERRYTHANG. Bad batches on important shit would have been rejected long ago.

Just gotta keep on living life or the terroris- I mean capitalists win.

The bigger potential problem is not with Kobe, but rather with the producers of the end product not doing their due diligence to test everything to the standard it needs to be tested to. If any company is truly shitting bricks right now it's their own fault for not verifying what they buy. Kobe doesn't get a free pass, but there's typically not a single point failure that can doom an end product when it comes to material science.

FYI The Daily Mail is not a reliable news source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

"The Daily Mail is a British daily middle-market[2][3] tabloid newspaper owned by the Daily Mail and General Trust[4] and published in London."

This is only a story because of the fucking 24 hour news cycle having nothing better to talk about, should be a 5 minute story on the 6 o'clock news and in a month another blip on any repurcussions not fucking pages and pages of bullshit by people who don't have any idea what the problem actually is.
We check one in every hundred rotor blanks we bring in for about 20 critical things. We have scrapped thousands that did not meet all of the requirements.

People need to read the material much closer. There is not one single thing said about the material being bad. The issue was that the reports were false. Everybody just assumes the material was bad but it just as easily could have been fine or even better than it should. They didn't do th documentation they should have and then just made shit up. They got caught making shit up not sending out bad product.

I would bet that all the end users did indeed do their checks and there was nothing wrong with the products that is why it went on so long.
nikitopo (10-17-2017), strat61caster (10-16-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #24
Joystick

Drives: periodically
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Statement Regarding Impact of Kobe Steel Quality Issue on Toyota and Lexus Vehicles
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/19202565/

Statement Concerning Impact of Kobe Steel’s Inappropriate Conduct on Subaru Vehicles
https://www.media.subaru-global.com/en/news/2502

Last edited by Joystick; 10-19-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #25
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^^U honestly think any auto company is going to recall a car because the hood is not the right grade aluminum??

They wont issue recalls or admit anything is wrong unless it is major components.
But then again.and ignition switch is pretty small................

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #26
krayzie
Drive From Home

Fuck I'll be worried about the JDM aluminum alloy rims before worrying about the hood. The stock rims are made by Hitachi.

If you understand Japanese OCD mentality with precision engineering then this is more of a problem with their domestic market image rather than their export market quality.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #27
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,383 Times in 4,137 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
The difference is the strength and braking point.
But the braking point is very important, especially when tracking one's car. This is why there are distance markers on some tracks befor a bend/corner. If one brakes to soon you lose time and if you brake too late you might end up breaking something.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote