follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #211
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's correct. In STX, you want the adjustable arms to dial the camber back a little to around - 2.0. I reckon the Eibach springs are going to put you around that number anyway, so no need for adjustable arms. Of course, we won't know for sure until someone tries.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #212
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwrxwag View Post
That's correct. In STX, you want the adjustable arms to dial the camber back a little to around - 2.0. I reckon the Eibach springs are going to put you around that number anyway, so no need for adjustable arms. Of course, we won't know for sure until someone tries.
Exactly. I'm thinking less than that since, again, soft suspension is going to have you traveling all through the range anyway. IIRC the camber curve on the rear is pretty generous.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #213
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Most cars are uneven from the factory, my car with stock LCA was off by half a degree left to right on the rear the last time it was on the alignment rack, springs can make it better or worse, it's a crapshoot.

Get the LCA, you can skip the toe arm, factory range is plenty on that, just a pain to diy adjust.

I suppose you'll be able to get initial alignment first to judge if you have an even car or not, but I'd suspect it's worth it for most 86s.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #214
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Isn't factory rear toe adjustment just turn eccentric and tighten nut once desired toe is reached?
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApexEight For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #215
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
In CS/TRD trim, my car had perfect rear camber. I have LCAs for STX but still haven't adjusted them any different from OEM length...
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #216
blkwrxwag

That's good to hear, Manfred.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:54 AM   #217
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Isn't factory rear toe adjustment just turn eccentric and tighten nut once desired toe is reached?
Yup, no big deal if you have an alignment rack or a decent setup for doing the work. I personally don't and the math of throwing several hundred dollars per year at a shop to tweak didn't add up to me. I'm not the norm, I totally understand that, but I know I'm not the only person who has struggled with factory toe adjustment.

So imagine you're in your garage with the car jacked up so you can adjust it. Now imagine there's slop in the bolt so just lining up the marks isn't enough, you have to line up the mark in a consistent fashion (kind of like tuning a guitar from low to high tension) say from clockwise to counterclockwise. Then tighten the bolt, make sure it doesn't slip while tightening, ok now check it. Get out from under the car, if you have wheel mounted alignment tools you can wing it in the air with some confidence, do final torque of 76 ft-lbs (I blew almost an entire season not torquing properly, dynamic toe isn't fun) check it again, now do the other side. Drop the car, drive it around the block, bring it back in and confirm you're good.

Repeat if wrong, add in multiple steps if you're using toe plates and need the car to be on the ground,I haven't figured out reliable ghetto slip plates imo. Then there's the complication of toe link and lca interacting with each other to adjust camber and toe, with spc lca and stock toe link you have two eccentrics to manipulate, torque, check, repeat until you are satisfied. I don't mind being wrong on setup guesses, but not being able to have consistent setup has driven me crazy, having it measure out different every time is my personal hell. Upgrading tools may help with that but it's all procedure and patience to do this on a budget.

That's been the last year and a half of my autox experience. If you're not a perfectionist maybe it's not a big deal, but the number of times I've tightened it down and had it slip and had to crawl back under and do it all again. I'm done, got the SPC links sitting on the shelf right now, they'll go on in a week or two.

There's added bonus with two threaded adjusters (sorry ssc) you can figure out how much to turn both links to get the camber and toe you want, have it all figured out in the garage and go to an event or test and tune and be able to quickly test a wide range of camber and toe settings with confidence. At least that's part of my plan for next year, I bet some will be doing that with their ssc cars as well to hit the ground running and dial in their alignment early on which should pay dividends as you have spec spring rates and tires your steady state cornering can be nailed by the first big events.

Again, this is cake with a decent alignment rack, plenty of access, high quality slip plates and real time feedback on adjustment takes what used to be an afternoon job and reduces it down to fifteen minutes or less once the car is up on the rack.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (09-19-2017), cjd (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #218
Ribface

Drives: 2014 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Really looking forward to the new class. I am starting to look for an FRS for next season.
Wish there had been a spec class when I started autocrossing years ago.

On top the spec package, beside a lighter exhaust (after cat) and air filter, are there any other street rules modifications worth having?
Ribface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #219
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
To add to the excellent summary... Fucking miserable to do solo diy. I also need better slip plates, going to try a different grease... If that's not magic, fancy ones go on next year's budget with a bit of cringe. Hoping to stumble on a deal like I found for my scales...

I use the string method and have a setup that attaches to the car so they move with it if I don't bump them... But still a pain. And I bumped them nearly every time I went to adjust something.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #220
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
To add to the excellent summary... Fucking miserable to do solo diy. I also need better slip plates, going to try a different grease... If that's not magic, fancy ones go on next year's budget with a bit of cringe. Hoping to stumble on a deal like I found for my scales...

I use the string method and have a setup that attaches to the car so they move with it if I don't bump them... But still a pain. And I bumped them nearly every time I went to adjust something.
Got any links to a cheap and user friendly string set up? I've never attempted anything like this
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #221
Cueman

Drives: In Perfect Control At All Times
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribface View Post
On top the spec package, beside a lighter exhaust (after cat) and air filter, are there any other street rules modifications worth having?
Have they actually acknowledged yet that things like a catback or brake pads will be legal?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #222
blkwrxwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueman View Post
Have they actually acknowledged yet that things like a catback or brake pads will be legal?
They said it built on Street rules, so yes.

"For components not specifically listed in the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Packages, the Solo Street Category allowances will apply. Vehicles will be allowed to compete "under prepared" without all permitted modifications being installed."
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #223
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
They said it built on Street rules, so yes.

"For components not specifically listed in the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Packages, the Solo Street Category allowances will apply. Vehicles will be allowed to compete "under prepared" without all permitted modifications being installed."
Just so you guys don't complain later, I'd wait until actual rules are published and not rely solely on a press article.

I've heard cat-back exhausts will not be open
M0nk3y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #224
blkwrxwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Just so you guys don't complain later, I'd wait until actual rules are published and not rely solely on a press article.

I've heard cat-back exhausts will not be open
Agreed on the waiting. I hope you're wrong on the cat back stuff. Still, no point in discussing until the rules are actually published.
Shark_Bait88 (09-25-2017)