follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to prep for an autocross event

While packing up for Solo Nationals last week I threw together this quick video. It goes over how I pack/prepare for an autocross event (local event). Hopefully this will help out some new people just getting into autocross!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1W10jZlB0c[/ame]
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,770 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Would be cool too if you live streaming before race, like see what others cars will be racing etc. Something like F1
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
justinco (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
justinco
btr.life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Would be cool too if you live streaming before race, like see what others cars will be racing etc. Something like F1
I try to do that sometimes with snapchat, since it is simple and quick. But, usually at a race I am focused on racing. Good idea though, maybe I will try to incorporate that a bit more or do a YouTube live stream.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
I try to do that sometimes with snapchat, since it is simple and quick. But, usually at a race I am focused on racing. Good idea though, maybe I will try to incorporate that a bit more or do a YouTube live stream.
If you can. If not, just a pitlane will be awesome. And how you prepare for between session and such. Just few ideas
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
justinco (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
TwistedGray
IG thomas50shades

Drives: ISO: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you are going to take an air pressure gauge you should at the same time carry a bike pump.
TwistedGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
justinco
btr.life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
If you are going to take an air pressure gauge you should at the same time carry a bike pump.
Yep, I have an electric 12v compressor inside my tool bag, which I mentioned in the video. I didn't think to show what was inside the tool bag as well, hah.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
I'm going to second what some people are saying here about showing some grid stuff. How you set up around your car in grid makes a huge difference too. Add in tire bags, shaving OPR, etc. and you have an even higher level of prep. Wouldn't expect new people to even start touching that but it's important to develop a routine when you drive.

For example when you get back from a run do you spray anything? Check pressures first or as you go out? Do you need to swap numbers? Look at data?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
justinco (09-12-2017), Teseo (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
shaving OPR, etc.
We had a guy from our local Alaska Region SCCA get a co-drive at nationals and he was telling us about this. This was something I was really surprised to learn.

A few in our region are already looking into the logistics of getting cars down there (3,700 miles!). I'm hoping I can improve enough to look for a co-drive.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
We had a guy from our local Alaska Region SCCA get a co-drive at nationals and he was telling us about this. This was something I was really surprised to learn.

A few in our region are already looking into the logistics of getting cars down there (3,700 miles!). I'm hoping I can improve enough to look for a co-drive.
It should really only be a factor for the launch and first element. But with competition as tight as it is you need every ounce you can get, STX 1st-11th was covered by less than 1s across both days. If you slide out and lose a tenth or two on each course through the first gate you just went from a top 3 run to barely hanging in the top 10. Problem is that you pick up a bunch of junk rolling back to the start anyway, depends on the site though and I haven't been to lincoln.

Best of luck getting down here, it won't be easy! Lots of guys go through culture shock too, what's a competitive car locally may not stack up nationally or at a different site. Hell at a non-SCCA club event I can put a car in the top third of people showing up, but at an SCCA event I struggle to be above the bottom third on the same pavement.

Last edited by strat61caster; 09-12-2017 at 03:19 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It should really only be a factor for the launch and first element. But with competition as tight as it is you need every ounce you can get, STX 1st-11th was covered by less than 1s across both days. If you slide out and lose a tenth or two on each course through the first gate you just went from a top 3 run to barely hanging in the top 10.
At Lincoln this year OPR was a huge factor largely due to there being no rain at all for the entire event. After 4 runs our tires had several handfuls worth on each of them. My 2nd run on day one was basically shot because we had so much OPR that I was pushing in every corner. At most sites and for most events it wouldn't be an issue but for Nationals it certainly is.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
At Lincoln this year OPR was a huge factor largely due to there being no rain at all for the entire event. After 4 runs our tires had several handfuls worth on each of them. My 2nd run on day one was basically shot because we had so much OPR that I was pushing in every corner. At most sites and for most events it wouldn't be an issue but for Nationals it certainly is.
Agree to disagree, if you ever get the chance to make a run where you think OPR would be an issue and you can stop and check the tires a few corners in, do it. A laid back Test and Tune is perfect, talk to the guy behind you or the starter to wait for you to stop and get going again.

Hell make a run where you make it a point to pick up as much clag as possible before doing the test. At least prove it to yourself.

If I go to Nats next year will you see me cleaning off my tires? Probably, but I won't blame losing it in the 2nd slalom or turnaround on OPR unless I went off line just before. There's a ton of logical explanations for a car 'going away' from heat management to psychological, in my experience OPR simply isn't an issue after you've worked the tires through a corner or two from 5hp circle track karts to F1.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #12
justinco
btr.life

OPR is generally a non-issue unless you get off the racing line...at least in my experience. One thing I learned early on a few years ago, is you cannot necessarily drive the line you think is best. If nobody else is driving that line you are naturally going to cake your tires w/ OPR. In short, drive the pre-set racing line (unless you are first heat off, you may have some options).
Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #13
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Agree to disagree, if you ever get the chance to make a run where you think OPR would be an issue and you can stop and check the tires a few corners in, do it. A laid back Test and Tune is perfect, talk to the guy behind you or the starter to wait for you to stop and get going again.

Hell make a run where you make it a point to pick up as much clag as possible before doing the test. At least prove it to yourself.

If I go to Nats next year will you see me cleaning off my tires? Probably, but I won't blame losing it in the 2nd slalom or turnaround on OPR unless I went off line just before. There's a ton of logical explanations for a car 'going away' from heat management to psychological, in my experience OPR simply isn't an issue after you've worked the tires through a corner or two from 5hp circle track karts to F1.

The OPR at Nats this year was really bad, especially if you ran Thu/Fri. If you have never been to Lincoln, you will be shocked on how OPR will affect the car.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iLuveKetchup For This Useful Post:
Locust (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
The OPR at Nats this year was really bad, especially if you ran Thu/Fri. If you have never been to Lincoln, you will be shocked on how OPR will affect the car.
I don't deny it affects the car, I deny that it affects a whole run if you stay in the clean line, it never stays on the tire, affecting the car, longer than a corner or two. Which can certainly be enough to affect an autox run.