follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #141
fierostetz

Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Advice here is true but a majority of people don't want to go through the effort of this. It's too much effort for most people who have busy lives to live. I know this for a fact because as a salesperson I tell this advice to my friends and family and when I ask them about it I find out they paid MSRP or got ripped on the interest rate or the extra warranty and maintenance.
Oh absolutely, you get out of things what you put into them. I've been lazy and not worked very hard to buy a car before, and I was punished for it. I always feel bad when people brag about buying a plentiful vehicle at MSRP when even *truecar* beat their prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
As salespeople we get the customer satisfaction surveys. My best surveys come from customers who either paid MSRP or at a "half-way" point.

My worst survey was from a customer who got $2600 below dealer invoice because he didn't think the maintenance we sold him for $100 over dealer cost was a good deal. It took me 2 months to recover from that before I got paid again for bonuses.
I always, always, always 10/10 the surveys, and follow up with a hand written letter. I don't go into detail if I think it might have deleterious effects for the salesman, but I always extoll the virtues of their professionalism, their follow up, their "customer handling", etc. I've been in sales, and I try to be fully cognizant of how I can help them.

Salesmen gotta eat, so I try to go in fully equipped for a mutually beneficial sale, but not an exploitative one. Once they stop fighting me and we start negotiating I'll level with them and straight up say "ok, well I'm liking where we're at, lets find a way to make the sale work for you too". It's the process of getting past the BS. Yes, I'm here to buy at least one car. No, this isn't my first time. Yes, I can buy it cash but if you're nice I'll finance it so you can bury your extra %. I can be a [jerk] when needed, but I'm the jovial sort and keep it light, and try to make sure everyone comes out happy.

If it were up to me I'd circumvent all the crap and order cars on Amazon, but as long as we're stuck with the current dealership model, I might as well put in my due diligence. For the number of cars I've purchased both as drivers and as investments the above have always served me well.

I guess my biggest bit of advise is to be patient. John Dryden wrote in the poem "Absalom and Achitophel" the following: "Must I at length the Sword of Justice draw? How ill my Fear they by my Mercy scan, Beware the Fury of a Patient Man." When I first read that years ago it really drove home the importance of patience. I quote it here tongue in cheek, but being in a hurry is a surefire way to pay more than you have to. When I find a salesman I can work with (not someone who just does what I want, but someone whom is willing to "play the game", I reward them where I can - usually with referrals or financing through the dealership at the same rate I already locked in with my credit union. (yes, I know that extra 1% goes to the dealership, but if it doesn't cost me anything I am ok with it and they feel like they won).

Last edited by fierostetz; 09-06-2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Too many nerd words.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fierostetz For This Useful Post:
Veloist (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #142
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I only paid 23,500 because I was nice to the salesman and was upfront with what I wanted. We ordered a BRZ premium no add ons. I emailed all dealers in my area until it finally came down to 23,500. Showed the email to my local dealer and they matched it. I work in retail so I know it's important to have a good relationship with the sales guy and the dealer. Nobody gets anywhere by being an entitled d-bag. As you can see, I did nothing special.
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lust For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #143
BaatLuk

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Real interesting to hear both sides: a seasoned customer and a sales guy. @fierostetz curious as to which car you were referring to (OMG $9k off $26k MSRP and a bunch of freebies!). Nowadays I try to do 98% of my negotiation via email and text, so everything is already written. I hate walking into a dealer; it just gets on my nerve no matter how nice they sound.

Now let's see more prices...
BaatLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #144
Benji

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
I agree with Tcoat that much of the severely low prices on here are questionable claims at best. I dont care about upsetting forum posters, so I will say that.
Then you won't mind me telling you, you're completely and utterly wrong. I've got four offers which match exactly the specs and prices people have been "questionably" getting. Offers that are in writing and I could purchase at right now.

The majority of car sales people here are full of rubbish, the reason why you get more satisfactory surveys from people who pay MSRP is because they're completely and utterly oblivious as to how many thousands LESS they could have paid, so they think they got a good deal and are happy.

Here the phrase "ignorance is bliss" literally couldn't be more apt and not chasing sales for people who want to haggle is basically a lost sale for every one you don't take seriously.

I've said it before but the way cars are sold in the US is completely and utterly wrong but Americans just think that this is the way it's done and accept it.
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #145
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
yeah whatever. I can hear you flailing with a REEEEE! sound as I read that post.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #146
Chris from Cali

Drives: BRZ PP, Golf R, V60 Polestar
Quote:
yeah whatever. I can hear you flailing with a REEEEE! sound as I read that post.
Which claims are you considering too low? I paid $27K for a 2017 PP with tint and 2 years of maintenance on a $31-something K sticker. I gave them a number I could work with ($26K) and they came close. No reason to think a dealer who isn't moving cars wouldn't make a really good deal on a basic BRZ.
Chris from Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris from Cali For This Useful Post:
Benji (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #147
Benji

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Gees, is this the level of discussions around here? You might want to get your ears checked, could be a nasty case of tinnitus!
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #148
BaatLuk

Maybe I should put a warning in the thread title "If you already bought your car and didn't negotiate much don't click this thread". Honestly I know that feeling of getting ripped off and not being able to do anything about it.

I am very appreciative of everyone who contributed to this thread with their price. I can honestly tell you most if not all prices posted here are real and replicable in their respective areas. Now if you want to take a Houston price and try to replicate it in SoCal, it might take a lot more patience and skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to BaatLuk For This Useful Post:
Chris from Cali (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #149
Chris from Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
Maybe I should put a warning in the thread title "If you already bought your car and didn't negotiate much don't click this thread". Honestly I know that feeling of getting ripped off and not being able to do anything about it.

I am very appreciative of everyone who contributed to this thread with their price. I can honestly tell you most if not all prices posted here are real and replicable in their respective areas. Now if you want to take a Houston price and try to replicate it in SoCal, it might take a lot more patience and skills.
Regional differences make a huge difference (unless you're willing to travel/ship from out of state). When I bought my Polestar, there were only two V60s (the wagon) in Colorado, and there's a premium on all-wheel drive wagons out here, so I ended up paying nearly full price. I was seriously disappointed when a month or two later I heard about dealers in So Cal selling them for $10K off. Prices have leveled off, but it doesn't help the deal I got.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:53 AM   #150
BaatLuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali View Post
Regional differences make a huge difference (unless you're willing to travel/ship from out of state). When I bought my Polestar, there were only two V60s (the wagon) in Colorado, and there's a premium on all-wheel drive wagons out here, so I ended up paying nearly full price. I was seriously disappointed when a month or two later I heard about dealers in So Cal selling them for $10K off. Prices have leveled off, but it doesn't help the deal I got.
OMG V60 Polestar in Rebel blue is definitely one of my favorite cars! I seriously thought about getting one at one point. If I were paying close to sticker, I'd at least do European delivery and get an almost free trip out of it. I didn't know dealers here were aggressively marking them down. Will definitely keep that in mind for the future.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #151
BaatLuk

For those of you in California, especially SoCal, what would be a reasonable price to pay for a Series.Yellow at this time? Anyone able to get it for <$27k?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #152
Chris from Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
OMG V60 Polestar in Rebel blue is definitely one of my favorite cars! I seriously thought about getting one at one point. If I were paying close to sticker, I'd at least do European delivery and get an almost free trip out of it. I didn't know dealers here were aggressively marking them down. Will definitely keep that in mind for the future.
I wanted a 2016 since it was still the six-cylinder engine. No chance at factory delivery, though Volvo does have an amazing program. It's one of the better Euro delivery programs out there. If you do decide to get one, shop around. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris from Cali For This Useful Post:
BaatLuk (09-12-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #153
BaatLuk

I compiled a list of all the prices paid for 2017 Limited w/ PP and Series.Yellows: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Average price paid: $27555

Hope this helps anyone looking to pull the trigger. Thanks again to those of you who contributed your data point!

Btw, do these fees seem reasonable/legit?

Doc fee: $80
DMV fees: $302

Last edited by BaatLuk; 09-19-2017 at 07:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BaatLuk For This Useful Post:
Benji (09-21-2017), dhuang (10-18-2017), Harjotdhanota (09-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #154
Marty Bonesaw

Drives: 17 BRZ W/ PP
Model year:2017
Trim: Limited
Type of Purchase: Finance
Color: dark grey
Upgrades/Options: Performance Package
Price Paid (before TTL):26,800
Dealership/Geographical Area: Sommers/Wisconsin