follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #15
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
No just on the street. They aren't great tires (riken raptor HR), but i feel a lot of sidewall flex that I doubt would be there if they were 215's.
I would bet it's more about the tire choice than width. I've run three different non stock summer tires, all the same size on the same wheels (225/45/17's on 17x8's), and they had very different feel. The Dunlop ZII's are much stiffer sidewalls and had way more immediate turn in than Hankook RS3's, my current Yokohama AD08R's feel more like the ZII's, but like even less pressure hot for optimum grip. The RS3's had a lot more flex and needed more slip angle for max grip.

10mm oversize on the rim isn't going to make a tire go from great feel to crap feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Teseo (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I would bet it's more about the tire choice than width. I've run three different non stock summer tires, all the same size on the same wheels (225/45/17's on 17x8's), and they had very different feel. The Dunlop ZII's are much stiffer sidewalls and had way more immediate turn in than Hankook RS3's, my current Yokohama AD08R's feel more like the ZII's, but like even less pressure hot for optimum grip. The RS3's had a lot more flex and needed more slip angle for max grip.

10mm oversize on the rim isn't going to make a tire go from great feel to crap feel.
Yup
"The Raptor HR is RIKEN's H-speed rated Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of sedans, coupes, minivans and crossover vehicles."
TR
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSube For This Useful Post:
Slammillionaire (09-06-2017), Somerandom18 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #17
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I wouldn't call the MPSS track tires, but it is true the OEM suspension is not designed for them. They're good summer street tires with some decent grip. The OEM tires do not have much grip.

It's always important to build your suspension to match your tire choice.

- Andrew
A million% this.

If you're running a tire like the MPSS the body roll increases drastically.

A setup like RCE yellows/B6's or Koni's, ST's, V1's, or T0's is a better suspension choice for a tire like that, and I find balances really nicely.

I run the S-04 which is within earshot of the MPSS in the dry, a dash better in the wet, and the ST's are matched very well. They have all the grip I could want during spirited driving, and a bit of momentum still lets them slide through a corner when I want to without issue.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,310 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Yeah I would recommend a 7.5 or 8 inch wheel for a 225 tire. The MPSS are great for a double duty "light" track tire, or the new Contis. But I'd still think about some basic suspension mods and definitely a more aggressive alignment. 20mm front bar and 16mm rear if you don't want to go too crazy.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
JSube (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Yeah I would recommend a 7.5 or 8 inch wheel for a 225 tire. The MPSS are great for a double duty "light" track tire, or the new Contis. But I'd still think about some basic suspension mods and definitely a more aggressive alignment. 20mm front bar and 16mm rear if you don't want to go too crazy.

- Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I just put Hankook R-S4s, for longevity/decent grip, on 17x8 RPF1s for track use. I want to go forward carefully with suspension changes, I think there's a lot of good in the PP17s on the street with the Sachs dampers. I have -2.4 deg. camber up front on plates. I'm on track about 20 days per year, the other 345 it's my daily. Hadn't thought about changing the sways, tho...
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSube For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #20
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,310 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSube View Post
Thanks Andrew. I just put Hankook R-S4s, for longevity/decent grip, on 17x8 RPF1s for track use. I want to go forward carefully with suspension changes, I think there's a lot of good in the PP17s on the street with the Sachs dampers. I have -2.4 deg. camber up front on plates. I'm on track about 20 days per year, the other 345 it's my daily. Hadn't thought about changing the sways, tho...
Yeah I think you're on a good path and going forward carefully is the right way to go. Mild swaybars (20mm/16mm) is a good simple way to reduce roll and our RCE Yellows are a mild spring that is still a noticeable improvement and they work well with good summer street tires.

That's a lot of track days, so a few key suspension mods would help.

- andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 09-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
jmark (09-19-2017), JSube (09-06-2017), wparsons (09-06-2017)