follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #113
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
My one caveat for me is the lack of an oil cooler allowance. I know a lot of people seem to be annoyed with me for continuing to harp on this point, but I still hold that it's a legitimate one. The advantage an oil cooler poses in autox is essentially non-existent.
I also would like to see an allowance for an oil cooler in street (and all classes).
Have you tried writting to the SEB? I'll probably send them a letter about that. Maybe if a lot of people ask for it, they will allow it.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nico_rsx For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #114
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
I also would like to see an allowance for an oil cooler in street (and all classes).
Have you tried writting to the SEB? I'll probably send them a letter about that. Maybe if a lot of people ask for it, they will allow it.
I'm planning on writing a letter to them soon concerning all of my points.
imnotsureaboutbrz (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #115
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Wait you don't have to buy the parts from TireRack, right? How would they even enforce that lol. Save receipts?

I'm assuming you can get the parts wherever you please but TR will have the package with a slight discount.
Remains to be seen really. TR has a history of doing exclusivity thing, but almost all of the parts are already available. The Konis are kind of the wildcard on whether those will be orderable outside of TR. Also depends on the discount they give, may not be worth ordering from anyone else.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #116
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Looks like I will need to buy the kit. Oh well, I'm still in.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #117
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Guys the Konis are sealed from factory for the spec class. Even if they're exactly the same product you cannot run them. I asked about this already and an SEB member told me sell my Konis and get the spec ones because they almost certainly won't be allowed. Maybe he ends up being wrong but he knew most of the details of what is going on.

For those of you thinking it'll be CS/DS allowances plus spec; it won't be. The allowance is "parts that aren't listed as part of spec will be open to street allowances" which means brake pads, drop-in filter, and cat-back exhaust. The exhaust part puzzles me because it's a place where you can spend money for a slight advantage.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #118
JermMX5

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Guys the Konis are sealed from factory for the spec class. Even if they're exactly the same product you cannot run them. I asked about this already and an SEB member told me sell my Konis and get the spec ones because they almost certainly won't be allowed. Maybe he ends up being wrong but he knew most of the details of what is going on.

For those of you thinking it'll be CS/DS allowances plus spec; it won't be. The allowance is "parts that aren't listed as part of spec will be open to street allowances" which means brake pads, drop-in filter, and cat-back exhaust. The exhaust part puzzles me because it's a place where you can spend money for a slight advantage.
Not really to the exhaust part... No muffler on these cars doesn't even touch 80db. Anyone could bring there car to a joe shmoe exhaust shop and say take my exhaust off after the driver (according to the rules exhaust has to exit after the driver) and stick a turn down right after that to the ground for less than $100.

A ton of miatas at events I've been too have done the same to save weight and have no the least restriction possible under street rules.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #119
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermMX5 View Post
Not really to the exhaust part... No muffler on these cars doesn't even touch 80db. Anyone could bring there car to a joe shmoe exhaust shop and say take my exhaust off after the driver (according to the rules exhaust has to exit after the driver) and stick a turn down right after that to the ground for less than $100.

A ton of miatas at events I've been too have done the same to save weight and have no the least restriction possible under street rules.
Could have sworn the street rules were changed to say "Exit from an OEM location" for the exhaust.

Yep. Just checked them and they just exit from the original location. Anyone running that locally in a street class with you is non-compliant.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 02:32 AM   #120
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Could have sworn the street rules were changed to say "Exit from an OEM location" for the exhaust.

Yep. Just checked them and they just exit from the original location. Anyone running that locally in a street class with you is non-compliant.
What he is probably referring to are the very common muffler deletes that bolt on in about 15 minutes or so, and exit from one of the stock locations. I bought one for my car from Nameless for a hundred bucks five years ago, soon after I bought my car. As long as the exhaust exits from one of the stock locations, like most of the muffler deletes do, it is legal.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #121
JermMX5

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:

You know what, I'm wrong, I was thinking about the Miata's but then realized they were all STS miatas that were doing that. My bad.

But the next post is right that we can just use a delete and get the best performance possible except for going full titanium catback to safe weight.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #122
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys. Long time stalker. 1st time poster.

Can't wait.

See some of ya at Devens next year.

Also, further info from elsewhere...

Quote:
The stage one package is from Tirerack and its the only way to get the special SCC Koni struts. It doesn't include wheels or tires. Total cost is expected to be under $1900 and you have to be an SCCA member to order it (verified by SCCA Member #). Should be on the website in a few days. The parts will also be available individually from TR at the discounted individual prices, so if you already have the toe links or whatever, you won't have to buy them again.

Per the above, for the struts you have to buy SCC Konis from Tirerack. They start out life as Koni Sports, but go through a multi step process in house at Koni NA to be turned into sealed SCC struts. That process sounds like its QA/Sealing, vs. opening up and revalving the damper, but that's just my guess. Some new dampers fail this process btw, since the tolerance for SCC struts is very tight, beyond that of regular Sports. Because of all this, there's currently no mechanism for you to take your existing Koni Sports and have them turned into SCC struts. Part of that is procedural, part of it is concern that with wear & the fact that some new sports don't meet the tighter tolerances they might not work as SCC struts particularly with wear/tear from usage. SCC struts also will be considered racing parts and will not have a lifetime warranty. There is a 30 day satisfaction warranty so that if the thing is busted right outta the box or immediately leaks or whatever, Tirerack will replace it.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Cueman (09-07-2017), strat61caster (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #123
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermMX5 View Post
You know what, I'm wrong, I was thinking about the Miata's but then realized they were all STS miatas that were doing that. My bad.

But the next post is right that we can just use a delete and get the best performance possible except for going full titanium catback to safe weight.
Full titanium cat-back you say?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 09-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #124
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Full titanium cat-back you say?
I've got a titanium axleback now, that's much quieter than my muffler delete was. Two decent sized mufflers. Whole thing weighs 14.2lbs

Only switched because a buddy was selling his car, so I got a good deal on it. Honestly, apart from a few pockets of drone the delete sounded better IMO. This one is too quiet, but will be more ideal once I eventually get a header/tune.

Last edited by Shark_Bait88; 09-06-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Shark_Bait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #125
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I've got a titanium axleback now, that's much quieter than my muffler delete was. Two decent sized mufflers. Whole thing weighs 14.2lbs

Only switched because a buddy was selling his car, so I got a good deal on it. Honestly, apart from a few pockets of drone the delete sounded better IMO. This one is too quiet, but will be more ideal once I eventually get a header/tune.
Mine is sitting in customs somewhere and has been for at least 2 weeks.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 09-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #126
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Mine is sitting in customs somewhere and has been for at least 2 weeks.
That sucks. haha Which one did you go with?

Mine is a discontinued titanium axleback made by Togue Factory (TF-Works) in Chicagoland. They stopped making them after they came out with the modular catback systems, which are too loud for my taste.