follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
leevanf

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whats up with lip kits?

I dont know if im just getting old (27 yrs old) or OCD, But I dont fully understand why a lot of people get front lips, side skirts, rear, etc. first of all, i hear "to look agressive", tbh, agressive is a behavior or something on the inside. I usually find cars with modded exhausts or clear signs that some serious performance mods have been made, or even body panel damage as agressive - Not cosmetic lip kits. Second would be just to look "cooler", this is purely subjective but to me, it doesnt look any better. The car was deisgned by real designers. Adding lip kits that dont even match the body lines and are usually color black stands out like wearing construction boots under a business suit. Lastly, to protect from scrapes is arguably understandable. Though i realize a front lip may cost just as much as a surplus bumper and actually will make you scrape it more due to added lower reach - hencing putting your bumper at greater risk of misalignment. So..i think lip kits look best on seriously modded cars that need the additional downforce or whatever benefit they give. Or if your car was meant to look agressive to begin with. (Aventador-ish design with plenty of non organic jagged edges) otherwise,i always find them an eysore thinking "man the Kit just ruined that car". Any thoughts?
leevanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Key words of your post: " this is purely subjective". And applies to every aspect of your life: car, body, house, lifestyle, etc. There are plenty of lip kits that follow the shape of the car pretty well. It is all subjective!
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:29 AM   #3
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Key words of your post: " this is purely subjective". And applies to every aspect of your life: car, body, house, lifestyle, etc. There are plenty of lip kits that follow the shape of the car pretty well. It is all subjective!

Thats true! Probably havent seen them all but the sti lip kits seem harsh on the car. I like how ferrari and vettes do the lip kits, it follows the body countour and is very minimally seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
I don't like most lips, but the Greddy GRacer front lip won me over the stock look:

Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I don't like most lips, but the Greddy GRacer front lip won me over the stock look:

That is pretty good looking! This is one of those lips that blends well with the 86 bumper lines!

Old 08-21-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
IMHO my lip kit makes my car look better, but it's also proven to affect aero. On the highway at high speeds my car is more planted, less twitchy. Last summer when I first got my FRS I hydroplaned a few times in really heavy rain. This year with the lip kit I haven't hydroplaned yet. We get torrential rain here often.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
leevanf (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Imho lip kits all-around have one nice feature - they visually lower car without taking away shock travel. Still not for me, as for local roads i have to drive daily twins are rather low even stock, so i'm not willing slightest to reduce ground clearance even with such means. Who cares about visual enhancement if it will result in scratching it often. But may do for some others. Taste is subjective thing. If stock height would be plentiful, i'd think of TRD/RS-1 alike set too, but ..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,682 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Individuality. You're making your car yours. Whether it's for aerodynamic purposes or looks, spoilers, wings, side skirts or body kits are all ingredients to a customized, individual, unique car dish.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe you should stop caring about how other people spend their money.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
dattran86 (08-21-2017), Hawk77FT (08-21-2017), jubella2 (08-21-2017), Slammillionaire (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
bee-jay

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
he thinks he's getting old at 27. LOL.

I think most of the lips look good on these cars. I have the STI lip personally. Fit well, follows the bumper lines etc.

if you want to talk ugly well here ya go.
but again, it looks great to some people.....

bee-jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Imho lip kits all-around have one nice feature - they visually lower car without taking away shock travel. Still not for me, as for local roads i have to drive daily twins are rather low even stock, so i'm not willing slightest to reduce ground clearance even with such means. Who cares about visual enhancement if it will result in scratching it often. But may do for some others. Taste is subjective thing. If stock height would be plentiful, i'd think of TRD/RS-1 alike set too, but ..
Camber will lower the car a little too. I get asked every now and again how I lowered my car- mostly because of the lip, side skirts and spats. Stock height. I am surprised how much the lip scrapes. This car is very low to begin with- I don't know how people with a lowered twin on 17's do it. I must be a PITA
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #12
leevanf

Whats up with lip kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Maybe you should stop caring about how other people spend their money.

Maybe you should stop getting offended at everything. Im sharing how i think and people who think otherwise can share what they think. Its a forum, not a panel for humanitarian rights laws.

Last edited by leevanf; 08-21-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
leevanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
IMHO my lip kit makes my car look better, but it's also proven to affect aero. On the highway at high speeds my car is more planted, less twitchy. Last summer when I first got my FRS I hydroplaned a few times in really heavy rain. This year with the lip kit I haven't hydroplaned yet. We get torrential rain here often.

Hey thats pretty cool to hear a lip kit help that way! What speeds were you going at? Hope i dont go through that

Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I don't know how people with a lowered twin on 17's do it. I must be a PITA
You get used to going into places at an angle and going over speed bumps really, really slow. The only time I have any real issue is when I have passengers and I forget about their extra weight. It can be enough to bounce the bottom of the car off a speed bump that is normally OK.
That said, I have almost no paint and in some places very little plastic left under my front bumper.