follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Agent_D

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ECUTek accelerator pedal adjustments

Can anyone advise on ECUTek settings to get rid of the horrible dead zone in the first few cm of the accelerator pedal?

I've gotten used to the dead zone, but I still loathe it very much. I came to the BRZ from several previous RX-7's, and the DBW dead zone at light pedal inputs is extremely annoying.

Thanks for any information!
Agent_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Agent_D For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-11-2019)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_D View Post
Can anyone advise on ECUTek settings to get rid of the horrible dead zone in the first few cm of the accelerator pedal?

I've gotten used to the dead zone, but I still loathe it very much. I came to the BRZ from several previous RX-7's, and the DBW dead zone at light pedal inputs is extremely annoying.

Thanks for any information!

Straight after ecu reflash the fist part of accelerator pedal travel will be dull.

however this should disappear after a few drive cycles.

If it permanent you may have other problems like throttle pedal sensor or throttle body. or fueling problems.

Have you driven another brz/86 and is your much worse ?

You can remap the pedal input to output with ecutek, its under the basic racrom features. You could have 4 different pedal maps depending on the map mode your using ie 1,2,3,4 but you would need the racerom extension to edit this.

you should have access to map 1 accelerator mapping with basic ecutek kit, as long as your tune is unlocked or your self tuning.

ecutek maps pedal input percent to pedal output so you can re map it to say 10% input gives 20% output or whatever.

but I suspect you have other issues with tune or hardware
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-11-2019)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

hah I think your problem is here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1540

Perrin 3" maf intake
This will likely cause issues.

Put stock intake back or rescale maf to suit the new intake.

Unless your turbo a 3" intake just causes you a pile of headaches for basicly nothing

Last edited by steve99; 07-08-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
Agent_D

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Those logs are both fresh flashes for comparison of a stock rom with the Perrin MAF values vs the rom I paid to have tuned. I'm going to be going back to a full stock exhaust, and only have the Perrin 3" intake, and inlet tube. I'm not experienced with the flashes/tuning to know if a fresh flash affects LTFT, but I'll be taking some new logs after a week or so with the recent flash to see if those change.

Before those fresh flashes for those logs yesterday, the early pedal was definitely better. I was unaware a fresh flash would cause that to happen, which is likely the issue. I was hoping to get it even close to DBC feel, but I think I'll end up just having to be ok with how it is once it's used to a flash.

Thanks for the replies!
Agent_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When i got my 2017 tuned with ecutek the gas pedal was horrible like there was a huge dead spot in the first cm of the pedal. After 400km it started to be better and now after 1000km+ the pedal feels a lot better than when the car wasnt tuned
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qc86 View Post
When i got my 2017 tuned with ecutek the gas pedal was horrible like there was a huge dead spot in the first cm of the pedal. After 400km it started to be better and now after 1000km+ the pedal feels a lot better than when the car wasnt tuned
happens whenever you reset ecu it looses all power or you reflash ecu with any tune system. Ecu learned parameters are reset to default values
Old 07-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #7
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
happens whenever you reset ecu it looses all power or you reflash ecu with any tune system. Ecu learned parameters are reset to default values
The question is:
Can you CHANGE the ECU default values somehow so the learning is 'better' if you have a reflash or something like lose power from a battery disconnect for some reason?
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:07 AM   #8
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDriver View Post
The question is:
Can you CHANGE the ECU default values somehow so the learning is 'better' if you have a reflash or something like lose power from a battery disconnect for some reason?
Well you can avoid the throttle learning by using the pedal trick after a reset/flash. Fuel trim learning occurs quickly but can be improved by a better tune. There's not much else in it. I never have any of these issues.....

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

Yes if you do the accelerator pedal trick after flash, let car idle for minuite or so ofter flash or rest for cams and your maf scaling is good then learn time is quick
Old 08-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
FR_STEEZ

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Garage
Quote:
Straight after ecu reflash the fist part of accelerator pedal travel will be dull.

however this should disappear after a few drive cycles.

If it permanent you may have other problems like throttle pedal sensor or throttle body. or fueling problems.

Have you driven another brz/86 and is your much worse ?

You can remap the pedal input to output with ecutek, its under the basic racrom features. You could have 4 different pedal maps depending on the map mode your using ie 1,2,3,4 but you would need the racerom extension to edit this.

you should have access to map 1 accelerator mapping with basic ecutek kit, as long as your tune is unlocked or your self tuning.

ecutek maps pedal input percent to pedal output so you can re map it to say 10% input gives 20% output or whatever.

but I suspect you have other issues with tune or hardware
Would you be able to help me out with this. My pedal had a dead spot that won’t go away for about an half inch. When I compare it to my buddies 86 his is wayyy more sensitive with zero deadspot.
FR_STEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR_STEEZ For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-11-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
AFAIK stock throttle mapping in stock ecu tune is non linear, with more power commanded at less initial pedal travel, to fake feel of more powerful engine.
Thus some decide to change that map to more linear in ecu tune for finer partial throttle control. It should be requestable/tuneable by most tuners doing ecu tuning. By chance are cars of your buddies tuned?
Then there also might be issue of for whatever work disconnected battery or reflashed tune and ecu not yet relearned full pedal travel. One can google for "dead pedal fix". In short, after reasons that may have caused it, eg. disconnecting battery or reflashing, switch car to ON without starting engine, do few full press/release of throttle pedal, then switch Off, for ecu to relearn pedal travel. Then start engine and let it idle for 1min w/o touching throttle to relearn idle rpms. Then keep driving normally.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-11-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

If your throttle pedal has a dead spot for that much travel, that doesnt go away it very likely its a hardware issue with ghe throttle pedal itself ot the throttle pedal sensor or throttle body.

You need to logs throttle pedal position and see if the valie changes as you touch car throttle if it doesnt change in the dead spot it likely connecrion to throttle sensor or the actual tthrottle sensor. Log ghe same on your friends car and check the difference. Theor are several throttle logging parameters and somerimes the naming is not clear if you !onitoring throttle pedal, or throttle plate in throttle body.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-11-2019), wparsons (08-30-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
FR_STEEZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
AFAIK stock throttle mapping in stock ecu tune is non linear, with more power commanded at less initial pedal travel, to fake feel of more powerful engine.
Thus some decide to change that map to more linear in ecu tune for finer partial throttle control. It should be requestable/tuneable by most tuners doing ecu tuning. By chance are cars of your buddies tuned?
Then there also might be issue of for whatever work disconnected battery or reflashed tune and ecu not yet relearned full pedal travel. One can google for "dead pedal fix". In short, after reasons that may have caused it, eg. disconnecting battery or reflashing, switch car to ON without starting engine, do few full press/release of throttle pedal, then switch Off, for ecu to relearn pedal travel. Then start engine and let it idle for 1min w/o touching throttle to relearn idle rpms. Then keep driving normally.
ive done this multiple times and no change has happened
Old 09-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
FR_STEEZ

Garage
Quote:
If your throttle pedal has a dead spot for that much travel, that doesnt go away it very likely its a hardware issue with ghe throttle pedal itself ot the throttle pedal sensor or throttle body.

You need to logs throttle pedal position and see if the valie changes as you touch car throttle if it doesnt change in the dead spot it likely connecrion to throttle sensor or the actual tthrottle sensor. Log ghe same on your friends car and check the difference. Theor are several throttle logging parameters and somerimes the naming is not clear if you !onitoring throttle pedal, or throttle plate in throttle body.
I was looking at the throttle parameter and accelerator parameter. ill slowly push the pedal in and I wont get any response until I get out of that dead zone.. but when I look at the pedal parameters in the tunebot section of my oft you can clearly see its getting a signal when barely any pressure on the pedal. I have no idea how to fix this dead spot
The Following User Says Thank You to FR_STEEZ For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-11-2019)