follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #771
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Still have some more ducting to do along with a few other things but i'm anxious to get it running sometime soon.

JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDLAutoDesign For This Useful Post:
Frs909 (08-08-2016), zeal86 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #772
Frs909

Drives: 2013 Turbo FR-S Java Pearl
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
Still have some more ducting to do along with a few other things but i'm anxious to get it running sometime soon.

seen it at 86fest beautiful car!
Frs909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #773
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My new hood vent. $83 off e-bay. Came off a newer mustang I believe. So far road use in our 115 degree palm springs temps oil temps are down. Haven't had it on the track yet, that will not be till Sept.
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
sato (01-09-2020)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #774
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Fuck and Bump. Did my oil change today and noticed my shroud has melted.

-FBM kit
-Ceramic Coated and Wrapped pipes (DEI titanium exhaust wrap)
-Spal 12" slim fans with FBM aluminum fan shroud
-FBM radiator
-vented lower aluminum underbody panel
-custom grill opening and ducting
-19 row oil cooler
-PTP Lava Turbo Blanket
-DEI Hose Fire Shield (on oil lines)
-OEM wrx liquid oil cooler
-Removed weatherstripping on cowl for ventalation
-Functional STI fender vents, with cut fenders for ventalation
-Spencer Fabrication radiator bracked (leans the rad forward 2")

Oil temps in summer rarely exceede 215F.

From the best of my knowledge it appears that the PTP blanket is holding in the heat and just under it at the opening, the heat is collecting, which melted the rings on my fan assembly. A couple of the fan blades themselves are slightly warped but, the fan itself still seems to operating.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #775
Njjawn

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's the consensus on ducting/custom air dams?
I know the evasive car runs a custom front duct/air dam... any other examples?

This is a rough idea I'm working on - I have a plasmacam cnc available for my use, so I'm gonna see what I can concoct. Still need to work on the rad shroud it will attach to. Theoretically, it should seal the bumper nearly completely, the only air going in will be pressured through my rad and heat exchanger. Intake will be fed from my drivers side APR brake duct (passenger side will be ducted to an oil cooler).

Obviously not ready to be cut, just a rough sketch
Njjawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #776
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njjawn View Post
What's the consensus on ducting/custom air dams?
I know the evasive car runs a custom front duct/air dam... any other examples?

This is a rough idea I'm working on - I have a plasmacam cnc available for my use, so I'm gonna see what I can concoct. Still need to work on the rad shroud it will attach to. Theoretically, it should seal the bumper nearly completely, the only air going in will be pressured through my rad and heat exchanger. Intake will be fed from my drivers side APR brake duct (passenger side will be ducted to an oil cooler).

Obviously not ready to be cut, just a rough sketch
This is an interesting project. My FRS already has a form of ducting/daming from the factory to keep air out of the fenders. Do you believe there will be any benefit to directing it even more into the radiator?

Also, where did you get your bumper model? Is there an FRS version?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #777
Njjawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
This is an interesting project. My FRS already has a form of ducting/daming from the factory to keep air out of the fenders. Do you believe there will be any benefit to directing it even more into the radiator?

Also, where did you get your bumper model? Is there an FRS version?
My factory ducting is pretty much non existent at this point. Between plumbing for a sprintex hx and the custom splitter and chassis mounts, not much was saved lol.

Directing it more into the radiator should create a more positive flow of air through the rad, and a more pressurized airflow under hood. With proper hood venting, it should be very efficient. I think. I found the 3d model in 3d warehouse (sketchup database) for free! It isnt scaled, but I took measurements and made it to scale. There should be an FRS file in there as well.

Worked on it a little bit more. Widened the overall ducting to the width of the rad, leaving the center "diffused/directed" and the sides open. The top slits also direct up towards the top. I'll be honest, the sides/top are just to appear more aesthetically pleasing than a boring single piece duct.

Last edited by Njjawn; 06-27-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #778
Ashikabi

Quote:
My factory ducting is pretty much non existent at this point. Between plumbing for a sprintex hx and the custom splitter and chassis mounts, not much was saved lol.

Directing it more into the radiator should create a more positive flow of air through the rad, and a more pressurized airflow under hood. With proper hood venting, it should be very efficient. I think. I found the 3d model in 3d warehouse (sketchup database) for free! It isnt scaled, but I took measurements and made it to scale. There should be an FRS file in there as well.

Worked on it a little bit more. Widened the overall ducting to the width of the rad, leaving the center "diffused/directed" and the sides open. The top slits also direct up towards the top. I'll be honest, the sides/top are just to appear more aesthetically pleasing than a boring single piece duct.

Google SketchUp?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #779
Njjawn

Quote:
Google SketchUp?

Yessir
Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #780
Ashikabi

Quote:
Yessir
Have you looked into Onshape? Also free but more like solidworks. And you can output many different file types

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #781
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I also moved my engine oil cooler and tranny cooler out board where the running lights were. Now they get direct air flow and no longer stacked up in front of intercooler, and radiator.
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
Kenny_LongWrench (06-27-2017), Lonewolf (06-27-2017), Tcoat (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #782
Njjawn

Quote:
Have you looked into Onshape? Also free but more like solidworks. And you can output many different file types

Honestly, I do not know *what* I'm doing.

The cnc/plasmacam is my buddies. He has a business making cute little customized metal cut signs you put in front of your house. I'm pretty sure I'm using sketchup right now because it was the first thing that came up in my google search results for 3D design software. Only CAD experience I have is 2D design.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #783
Ashikabi

Quote:
Honestly, I do not know *what* I'm doing.

The cnc/plasmacam is my buddies. He has a business making cute little customized metal cut signs you put in front of your house. I'm pretty sure I'm using sketchup right now because it was the first thing that came up in my google search results for 3D design software. Only CAD experience I have is 2D design.
I used AutoCAD 2d for a previous job and SketchUp to make pretty pictures at that same job. Switched jobs to a laser shop (non design role) and used DraftSight to design a fancy end plate for my rocket bunny V1 wing and some hood vents. Then one of the engineers told me about OnShape because my next project needed 3d modeling. I used it for several projects now and found it much easier to use than SketchUp. And you can get actually files that you can manufacture from. Now I have solidworks at my new job (which is even better than OnShape) but I still tomorrow with OnShape at home when I come up with some crazy thing to make. I recommend you check it out, watch some tutorials on YouTube. Should make turning your idea into a product much easier

Old 06-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #784
Njjawn

Quote:
I used AutoCAD 2d for a previous job and SketchUp to make pretty pictures at that same job. Switched jobs to a laser shop (non design role) and used DraftSight to design a fancy end plate for my rocket bunny V1 wing and some hood vents. Then one of the engineers told me about OnShape because my next project needed 3d modeling. I used it for several projects now and found it much easier to use than SketchUp. And you can get actually files that you can manufacture from. Now I have solidworks at my new job (which is even better than OnShape) but I still tomorrow with OnShape at home when I come up with some crazy thing to make. I recommend you check it out, watch some tutorials on YouTube. Should make turning your idea into a product much easier

Hmm, I'll check it out. Appreciate it! I made sure sketchup can output the files I needed, but I'm always willing to try something new if it turns out to be easier lol.