follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diode Dynamics XML2 foglight bulb owners, check for this...

@Diode Dynamics

Just a PSA to anyone else with these bulbs.
Problem 1: I'm getting condensation in one side but wasn't sure why...but after I removed some of the clips and peeked behind the wheel well liner I could see that the bulb was sagging and thus the seal around the base of the bulb must have stopped making full contact with the housing allowing moisture in. I pushed it back the way it should be and it made a clicking noise to give some reassurance that it was in all the way but I'm beginning to wonder if the rear base of the bulb is too heavy and over time (along with heat cycles and maybe even hitting bumps hard enough) that the whole assembly may sag again.
I've had these for about a year but just noticed this now. I have no idea how long it's been like this.
Bottom line: Pop the 3 or 4 pins in the wheel well and make sure they're in there nice and secure. This may not be a widespread problem but it doesn't hurt to check.

Problem 2: Look in the second picture attached and you'll see small circular object inside my foglight housings (it's in the first one too). I believe that these are from the tips of the XML2 bulbs themselves. Has anyone else had them fall off like that? They look like they're screwed on. I don't know if they're metal (so I can try to get them out with a magnet) or plastic. Also wondering if there are scratches on the inner housing under them that will be visible after removing them.
Attached Images

Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
It's not something we see often, but if the bulb isn't seated properly, it could lead to slight condensation. That's something that occurs from installation, but can be addressed by making sure the bulb is installed securely. In some cases, re-using the gasket from the OEM-halogen bulb can ensure a better seal.

For the cap of the XML2, we have revised the design and they no longer have screw-on caps.

If you use a claw grabber tool to fish that out, you can re-attach it and use some thread locker to prevent that from happening again in the future.

Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need any support: (314) 205-3033

Thank you!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Joon525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
It's not something we see often, but if the bulb isn't seated properly, it could lead to slight condensation. That's something that occurs from installation, but can be addressed by making sure the bulb is installed securely. In some cases, re-using the gasket from the OEM-halogen bulb can ensure a better seal.

For the cap of the XML2, we have revised the design and they no longer have screw-on caps.

If you use a claw grabber tool to fish that out, you can re-attach it and use some thread locker to prevent that from happening again in the future.

Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need any support: (314) 205-3033

Thank you!
Nick C.
I appreciate the response.
But after these 2 issues and this issue that I also had, I've already ordered the full replacement housings this morning.

While installation could indeed be the cause of the condensation I'm fairly certain I installed them 100% correctly. Of course I cannot prove that now so I won't go into it anymore but will indeed see if there's some slack or ill-fitting issues between the stock housing and the XML2 when my order comes in and I install them.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Joon525

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cO7B17SKRA"]YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvB6F9RFDUI"]YouTube[/ame]

I so I ended buying your Luxeon housings to replace the stock ones on the car and made 1 video to show what was going on with the XML2 bulb as-is and another to show the same bulb but with the stock rubber gasket from the stock bulbs moved over to see if it would help.

I can't really recommend these for anyone with bad roads since there could be the situation where a bump/pothole that is big enough could possibly unlatch the bulb from the housing if hit hard enough.
Just wanted to bring this to people's attention.

The Luxeons have been great so far and seem like a really nice product.
Diode Dynamics have been great thus far as well.