follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #57
Ayoitszritchie

Drives: '14 DGM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougboy View Post
I just installed a set of Basis. Lowered the collars all the way down but the front still seems high. Can still stick a finger or so between the fender and the tire.

Is this normal? Setup had more than enough time to settle. Incorrect installation? I've ran tein coilovers before on other platforms and they certainly dropped lower.
Thats normal, i had taken off one of the three collars at the bottom of the strut to drop it even lower. It now makes the front look like it matches the rear which still has all of the collars left. Depending on how my lca install goes i may drop the rear even lower by taking out one of the collars and using the 40mm hole.
Ayoitszritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:11 AM   #58
xBlissful

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayoitszritchie View Post
Thats normal, i had taken off one of the three collars at the bottom of the strut to drop it even lower. It now makes the front look like it matches the rear which still has all of the collars left. Depending on how my lca install goes i may drop the rear even lower by taking out one of the collars and using the 40mm hole.
how did you take off the collar and how did they hold up?
xBlissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #59
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo
FRS 10 series #0239

Drives: #0239 FRS 10 series silver ignition
Garage
any pictures of ride height before and after on Stock wheels? the after pictures aren't reachable
Drop in K&N filter, CX Racing oil cooler, Tomei Expreme UEL headers, Invidia N1 Catback, OFT stage 2, Raceland coilovers, stage one Exedy clutch kit, Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS street pads
10 series #0239
LowAndSlowBecauseNoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #60
Goya

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Any help is appreciated!
I installed Tein Street Basis Z coilovers last weekend. Like the regular street basis, the design reuses the stock top hats and the height adjustment also effects the spring preload.

One thing that has me confused is when installed, i set the height at about 5 or 6 threads (30%-40% from all the way down) just for a starting point, with the car in the air and suspension at full droop, the spring was still loose. There is no preload at that height. I had to raise the height adjustment collar to half way up the threads (about 10 threads) to reach any level of spring preload. Because of this, my front end is barely lower than stock height.

I'm not necessarily upset about the ride height, it just seems like i did something wrong. Since it doesn't make sense that Tein would design it where the bottom half of their allotted height adjustment shouldn't be used since there isn't any preload.
Goya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #61
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goya

Any help is appreciated!
I installed Tein Street Basis Z coilovers last weekend. Like the regular street basis, the design reuses the stock top hats and the height adjustment also effects the spring preload.

One thing that has me confused is when installed, i set the height at about 5 or 6 threads (30%-40% from all the way down) just for a starting point, with the car in the air and suspension at full droop, the spring was still loose. There is no preload at that height. I had to raise the height adjustment collar to half way up the threads (about 10 threads) to reach any level of spring preload. Because of this, my front end is barely lower than stock height.

I'm not necessarily upset about the ride height, it just seems like i did something wrong. Since it doesn't make sense that Tein would design it where the bottom half of their allotted height adjustment shouldn't be used since there isn't any preload.
With your initial 5 to 6 thread starting point and the spring being loose that is normal. This setup is not a full on race inspired coilover system, like the Tein Flex Z or a Fortune Auto 500 system. Think of it as more of a drop spring coupled with the correct replacement shock.

The spring being loose is OK because once you do put the car on the ground, the shock will get shorter putting normal compression on the spring, this system is design to do that. With that the car will never see that much shock travel to loosen the spring to what you saw when it was up in the air.

You could put the collars all the way to the lowest setting and still be OK, just as an example you don't have to do this.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnightRyderx2 For This Useful Post:
Goya (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #62
Goya

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
With your initial 5 to 6 thread starting point and the spring being loose that is normal. This setup is not a full on race inspired coilover system, like the Tein Flex Z or a Fortune Auto 500 system. Think of it as more of a drop spring coupled with the correct replacement shock.

The spring being loose is OK because once you do put the car on the ground, the shock will get shorter putting normal compression on the spring, this system is design to do that. With that the car will never see that much shock travel to loosen the spring to what you saw when it was up in the air.

You could put the collars all the way to the lowest setting and still be OK, just as an example you don't have to do this.

I've heard that from a few people but I wanted to make sure. You can see why it made me feel uneasy.
Goya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #63
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goya View Post

I've heard that from a few people but I wanted to make sure. You can see why it made me feel uneasy.
Ohh yeah, totally understandable. It just doesn't look right with the spring just kind of "hanging" there.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #64
Orlanclo

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs
To OP what springs did you use to lower the street basis z even more for the fronts? I’m currently on max settings for the front and wanted to go a little bit lower
Orlanclo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kevin@rad