follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
"Brotato" is probably the funniest term I've heard all year.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Thunderchicken

Drives: 2008 STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Take it from former owner of a '05 WRX, and a current owner of '08 STi... All I can say is they under...under...understeer. Can you take that out... the answer is YES by using stiffer sway bars.

The BRZ just needs change the dampeners and springs to remove the understeer. The sway bars are designed all most to the limit to keep that car in good balance.

The only reason for so much understeer in the WRX and STi is that it makes the car easier to control when you get in to trouble.

I know of a few times when I was a little too hot going in to a corner in both the WRX and STi, and it was oh $hit under, under under, understeer... So to get the backend to rotate once you hit the understeer wall is to release gas, brake a little, turn wheel and back on the gas. The EVO on the other hand with all the nice cool electronics will allow the backend to rotate and keep it from trying to fully rotate. The WRX and STi doesn't have as fancy electronics to do that so they use understeer to keep it safe.
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
Thunderchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
I think the fact that Subaru made the BRZ understeer so that it's owner base would have a more similar feel to the other Subaru's they own (Im assuming this is applying to WRX/STI owners) is a good indication that the Imprezas are set up from Subaru to understeer.
All Subaru's have understeer, the very special models that we Americans don't get have way less of it. like your S204, S205, S206 etc....
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The cars in the U.S under-steer "BeCauseLawyer"
Americans can not drive and its really easy to lawyer up.

Sucks, But there was a case back late 70's -early 80's of some lady rolling her car because she jerked the wheel. She sued and now we all plow the front in a turn. And another person going head on from a tail snap.

But since the aftermarket world is so great. It can be adjusted with a few parts.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
Thunderchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
The cars in the U.S under-steer "BeCauseLawyer"
Americans can not drive and its really easy to lawyer up.

Sucks, But there was a case back late 70's -early 80's of some lady rolling her car because she jerked the wheel. She sued and now we all plow the front in a turn. And another person going head on from a tail snap.

But since the aftermarket world is so great. It can be adjusted with a few parts.
I would have to agree, and the education of driving. The most important thing one must know how to do is text and drive while eating there favorite fast food while drinking the 64oz soda while trying to go the speed limit.

I like how the Japanese do drivers education with a small autocross course that is both wet and dry and it's timed .
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderchicken For This Useful Post:
eriktherod (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #20
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchicken View Post
I would have to agree, and the education of driving. The most important thing one must know how to do is text and drive while eating there favorite fast food while drinking the 64oz soda while trying to go the speed limit.

I like how the Japanese do drivers education with a small autocross course that is both wet and dry and it's timed .
Someone should tweet this as a public service announcement the next time they head out for a drive.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #21
ReVoiD

Drives: mazda 6 mps
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
I could be wrong but I thought the newer 08+ were 41f/59r MAX. Even at their peek the DCCD only maxed out at 65% rear.

In the dry, throttle oversteer "like in a rear wheel drive car" like I stated is virtually non-existent.

Left foot braking, e-brake pulling and throttle lifting are inducing oversteer in basically the same way, by changing inertia at the limits of grip, NOT by power or by throttle input.

Yes, you can oversteer in certain ways and in certain conditions (snow/gravel), but in the dry you're not going to snap the rear out leaning on the throttle, it just isn't going to happen.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bi-qtYsLew"]Drift Subaru Impreza WRX STI 360hp COOLT!!!! 2006 - YouTube[/ame]
and in the dry..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHChEb67yb4"]SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI DRIFT!!! COOOLT!!!! - YouTube[/ame]
ReVoiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #22
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVoiD View Post
and in the dry..
The only thing that those videos prove is that you have no idea what 86'd was talking about.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old greg For This Useful Post:
86'd (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
The only thing that those videos prove is that you have no idea what 86'd was talking about.
I think I'm being trolled. Or something is being lost in translation...

I would quote myself again, but I don't want to enter an infinite loop of trolldom.

86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
Mild2Wild

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
All I know is I couldn't stand to be so abusive to my car as "timbazooka" the Swedish shenanigans king.
Mild2Wild is offline   Reply With Quote