follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2016, 05:55 PM   #29
Protege13

Drives: Mazda Protege 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
It seems like a good deal, providing you don't suddenly get hit with a bunch of extras when closing.

There's a dollar point at which the transaction doesn't make business sense for them. If you ask, and they won't come down any further as time passes, the rest is up to you. I feel that most people drive away with a new car wondering if they paid too much, and the answer to that question is all over the map.

Do some math on it - as an example, saving $500 over a five year term is around ten bucks a month. Is that what would make or break the deal for you? Sometimes butting heads is more about pride than dollars.

I've always bargained hard in the past and done well, but with the BRZ the dealership dictated the terms. Very little movement on the price, and up the ass on the trade.

Did I like the deal? No, it made me sick to my stomach. Do I love my BRZ? An emphatic yes! Sometimes if you want something badly enough, the transaction is dictated by supply, demand, and emotion.

The other factor - if this is going to be your servicing dealer, you'll want to establish a good rapport with them so your not known as 'that prick' when you roll in for service. I'm not saying bend over, but compromise can do wonders.

Or, do you feel they are smarmy enough that you wouldn't even want to purchase or have your new car serviced there?

There are other things at play here than just bottom line dollar amounts

Thanks for the response. I think you nailed a couple good points. I got pretty concerned they might be smarmy enough that I might not want to deal with them at all. I've been to probably a dozen dealerships in the last couple of months looking at a few different cars (some FRS's included) and while many of them had a very high pressure environment, I never had anyone raise their voice toward me or belittle me. So I felt pretty strange about this dealership.

On the other hand like you said, supply, demand and emotion. I'm still considering this car regardless of the salesmen and I'm going to send them my best realistic offer right before the end of the year. I love the car and a brand new 2k16 with a warranty and all would be better than I had hoped if I can get out the door closer to my number. I won't be servicing there most likely - I have a local mechanic I trust to do the things I can't by myself. Truth be told the dealership is too far away to take it there regularly anyways.

So basically if I can get out the door I'll probably never see them again. If this one doesn't work out then oh well, I'll keep searching.
Protege13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #30
Simplicity

Drives: 15' MT FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege13 View Post
When did you buy? If you don't mind me asking
This was in October 2014 . Purchased a 15' manual FRS. It included the TRD package that's why, but I didn't want it, but that was the only car left so I was like fuck it.. :/ but what you're getting now is a deal dude. Maybe it's where you live? Lucky

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #31
Protege13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
This was in October 2014 . Purchased a 15' manual FRS. It included the TRD package that's why, but I didn't want it, but that was the only car left so I was like fuck it.. :/ but what you're getting now is a deal dude. Maybe it's where you live? Lucky

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I think it's probably cuz it's the dead of winter, been sitting a long time, "discontinued" and it's the end of the year. I know it's a great deal overall, I just was hoping to be out the door closer to 23k instead of 24k. 23 is already about 3k more than I was planning on spending on a car! Lol. But I'm willing to work a little with them if they can work with me a little more.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:01 AM   #32
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,864 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think it's probably cuz it's the dead of winter, been sitting a long time, "discontinued" and it's the end of the year. I know it's a great deal overall, I just was hoping to be out the door closer to 23k instead of 24k. 23 is already about 3k more than I was planning on spending on a car! Lol. But I'm willing to work a little with them if they can work with me a little more.
Sorry to say, but I think you're on the wrong car for the budget you have in mind. A CPO maybe the car for you. You just gotta find one that hasn't been modded and was maturely driven. lol
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #33
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
If you look around in the purchase threads here a lot of people were never really able to budge on the prices of FRS's, but were able to get lots of extras to make up for it. You can try that approach, asking for good winter tires on wheels and every extra possible. Also try and let them compete with your previous financing, they might be able to give you a lower rate, and just allowing them to try makes them feel better.

But there is no doubt they were just negotiating and that is probably part of their usual games. Some salespeople have no clue what they are doing and some dealers let their sales people act like clueless jerks. And some dealers love hiring people that have never sold cars before for some idiotic reason.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #34
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Out of curiosity, what dealership was it?

I've had a few different experiences at various dealerships in the Chicagoland area, and have heard stories of many more, some are definitely better than others in the way they treat people.

That being said, $24k OTD seems like a solid deal on a new car. I paid $23.5k OTD for my used '13 FR-S w/ 4,100 miles on it from a reputable Subaru dealer in the area. It wasn't an amazing deal, but their pricing had been better than any other dealer in the area. This was also over two years ago, before prices on the used Toyobarus had gone significantly down.

As for a winter setup, yeah you'll definitely need that. I use the 16x6.5" Bugeye WRX wheels (you can usually find a used set for around $200-300) with 205/55 WS80s. If you're tighter on cash after the new car purchase, there are tons of deals out there on CL for used winter setups.

Also, lots of great deals on used FR-Ss/BRZs in the area. Not a bad way to go either.

If you do end up picking one up, or if you just have any other questions for local owners, join the Upper Midwest FR-S/BRZ/GT-86 Owners group on FB. We're happy to help out anyone in the area, and if you do end up getting a Toyobaru (or even something else) we'll be doing a lot of ice racing up in WI this winter!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #35
Protege13

Gonna bump this old thread -

I decided to buy the FRS, and when I emailed the guy that I would take it he told me it sold. So, I didn't get it. I felt a little bad the first day or two, but honestly I got over it pretty quick. The guys at that dealership (at least the ones I dealt with) were absolute jerks throughout the entire thing, even after we talked weeks later. I was happy not to give them my business. The dealership was Continental Toyota, Shark_Bait88. Also, thanks for letting me know - if I get one I'll definitely join that group!

With that said, are these cars really hard to get or something? I've opened up my search nationwide and decided I'm open to possibly flying out and driving something home. I've gotten some really good dealers (one which I might buy from soon)... they gave me a quote on a brand new 2016 manual FRS even lower than the one I posted about in this thread - it's red instead of white, though. $23275 out the door. But I'd need to arrange delivery or fly out there and drive it home.

However, I keep running into a lot of dealerships that give me a REALLY hard time about this car. All across the nation, no specific area. Everything from sheer blunt rudeness (telling me to basically F off and buy elsewhere) to complete lack of knowledge about the car in general. I even had one guy try to tack on $1500 of "equipment" that I said I didn't want since it wasn't part of the stock car (literally things like a $70 iphone cable, wtf?) he claimed it was part of the car and couldn't be removed. Got a great laugh out of that one.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #36
Darkone

Drives: BRZ
I am probably going to buy one from Carmax. 2016 with 6k miles Asphalt gray, 20,500. Out the door around 22k. They wont play games with the closing costs since all the salespeople get paid a salary. Prices are no haggle and fair. I checked KBB and they are selling it to me for the low end of the recommended buying range. Car is immaculate. They check all the cars for frame damage and flood damage and do all the inspections. You also get a 5 day money back guarantee if you buy and you dont like it bring it back. ( I have done it before so I know it works and they do not hassle you ...they take it back!)...Carmax is also nationwide. Check it out...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Darkone For This Useful Post:
86geek (01-18-2017), Carbinebbq (01-18-2017), Dadhawk (01-18-2017), Tcoat (01-18-2017), Teseo (01-18-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #37
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Gonna bump this old thread -

I decided to buy the FRS, and when I emailed the guy that I would take it he told me it sold. So, I didn't get it. I felt a little bad the first day or two, but honestly I got over it pretty quick. The guys at that dealership (at least the ones I dealt with) were absolute jerks throughout the entire thing, even after we talked weeks later. I was happy not to give them my business. The dealership was Continental Toyota, Shark_Bait88. Also, thanks for letting me know - if I get one I'll definitely join that group!

With that said, are these cars really hard to get or something? I've opened up my search nationwide and decided I'm open to possibly flying out and driving something home. I've gotten some really good dealers (one which I might buy from soon)... they gave me a quote on a brand new 2016 manual FRS even lower than the one I posted about in this thread - it's red instead of white, though. $23275 out the door. But I'd need to arrange delivery or fly out there and drive it home.

However, I keep running into a lot of dealerships that give me a REALLY hard time about this car. All across the nation, no specific area. Everything from sheer blunt rudeness (telling me to basically F off and buy elsewhere) to complete lack of knowledge about the car in general. I even had one guy try to tack on $1500 of "equipment" that I said I didn't want since it wasn't part of the stock car (literally things like a $70 iphone cable, wtf?) he claimed it was part of the car and couldn't be removed. Got a great laugh out of that one.
This car can be extremely hard to sell, if you go on cars.com there are literally a handful that have sat brand new at dealerships for a year or more. Plus I am sure they get kids that drive them and can't drive and can't really afford it. And honestly you also get Toyota and Subaru car salespeople that have absolutely no idea what they are doing since both brands really sell themselves nowadays and you don't really need to do much work. So many dealerships are going towards hiring non salespeople morons because they can pay them a lot less money. When I was looking at BRZ's I had a salesperson literally laugh in my face about shopping online. I told him he was a total moron and joyfully told him I bought exactly what I want for thousands less than he was selling when the loser called for a follow up.

Also if you are willing to travel check out the Hueburger(sp?) dealer that advertises on here in Colorado, they can give great deals on brand new ones and will tell you up front everything they make you pay.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote