follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #43
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons
The stock driver's seat sits higher than the passenger seat, the height adjustment mechanism takes up some space and raises the seat a bit. I'd bet it's about 2" without measuring.
If you could find a RHD market passenger seat you could have a stock seat that sits lower on all factory hardware.
Hmm, interesting idea. Though, lol, at some point (when haven't yet tried driving with helmet) i thought about it other way around, by changing passenger seat to RHD driver's to add height adjustment to it, for slight practicality addition (if one rises seat, passengers in rear can put their feet under front seat, allowing it to be pushed back more back to their knees. Not so easily done for lower passenger seat) in rare cases when one needs temporary to fit some adult passengers in rear aswell ).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-06-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #44
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,252 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I've learned over the years that if you want a comfortable daily driver seat, you go RECARO. Well worth spending the money to get a seat that is sized properly for a full size American adult and priority given to ergonomics and safety.

The problem with mounting flat to the floor is mostly rake angle...seats need WAY more rake angle than they come from the factory. Rake angle is what can get you near optimal position for hands to steering wheel and feet to the pedals. It also is what provides headroom for taller drivers.
There's no doubt Recaro makes some good stuff. But to say that's the only option for a comfortable daily driver seat is a little silly IMO.
FWIW, I sat in about ten one-piece seats before buying a Cobra Imola Pro. None of the other seats I test-sat (!) had shoulder harness pass-through high enough for me to be safe with a harness. They were all down near the bottom of my scapulas. Recaro didn't have anything to fit the bill. For a tall, fit guy the Imola Pro (or whatever they're calling it now) is spectacular. It was the most comfortable car seat of any kind I've ever sat in. And that's saying something considering it is a one-piece seat.
I mounted it to the floor without sliders. Proper side brackets allow for adjustment of rake, and therefore thigh support. Someday I hope to get a similar setup for the BRZ.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #45
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
There's no doubt Recaro makes some good stuff. But to say that's the only option for a comfortable daily driver seat is a little silly IMO.
FWIW, I sat in about ten one-piece seats before buying a Cobra Imola Pro. None of the other seats I test-sat (!) had shoulder harness pass-through high enough for me to be safe with a harness. They were all down near the bottom of my scapulas. Recaro didn't have anything to fit the bill. For a tall, fit guy the Imola Pro (or whatever they're calling it now) is spectacular. It was the most comfortable car seat of any kind I've ever sat in. And that's saying something considering it is a one-piece seat.
I mounted it to the floor without sliders. Proper side brackets allow for adjustment of rake, and therefore thigh support. Someday I hope to get a similar setup for the BRZ.
I was spefically referring to reclining seats for DD using stock 3 point seatbelt, not one piece racing buckets with shoulder harness install. There are many more one piece buckets from many manufacturers for larger drivers....hardly any great reclining seats though. The best seating position I've ever had in a vehicle was a '98 Camaro Track car with Kirkey Aluminum racing seat mounted onto a welded in bracket to the floorboard and rollbar bracing...absolutely PERFECT seating position, dropped like 4" from stock, hands and feet in absolute perfect orientation. I wish I could get a seating position similar to that in the FR-S, only way to do it is with racing bucket and rollbar installation though...pretty much impossible with a reclining bottom mount seat on sliders.

Tags
lowering, seats