follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #575
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i wish i got a manual...
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #576
Dobbertdk

Drives: 2016 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Love my automatic!
Dobbertdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #577
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbertdk View Post
Love my automatic!
i meant i wish they gave me my owner's manual when i got the car
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (11-20-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #578
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
i meant i wish they gave me my owner's manual when i got the car
You need a constant sarcasm font with your posts dude..

Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:
FX86 (10-24-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #579
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Ownership has been bittersweet since I bought my BRZ Limited new back in '13.

It's an absolute blast on the track. Since I've gotten faster, I do wish it had more a torquey pull coming out of the corners, but it's ok otherwise and keeps up with a lot of cars that should be MUCH faster on short/technical tracks.

The rest has been a total bummer. The quality of the car is total garbage. The door speakers rattle, the shift knob rattles, the rear deck rattles, the throwout bearing has been rattling around for 20k miles, the drivetrain has annoying lash forward and back, the trans is junk when it's cold, the DI fuel pump sounds like crickets, poor clutch feedback, etc. I hate driving the thing on the street so much it's been relegated to being a garage queen and only being taken out on track days. It's not found to wind out on backroads because it has no power and has no theatrics to back it up...all it does is make a loud buzzing noise for exhaust/intake racket.

Seriously disappointing. Once I bought another daily driver and I wasn't forced to drive the BRZ every day, I simply stopped caring about it. I've been beating myself up about selling it now and getting something I know I'd use more often. I've made it reliable on the track with a ton of brake work, oil cooler, tires, etc...but it's just a bore on the street.

Hate to be Captain Buzzkill, but maybe some of you fellas that still have passion for these cars can talk some sense into me.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #580
Mattstermh

Drives: '13 FR-S A/T - Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Ownership has been bittersweet since I bought my BRZ Limited new back in '13.

It's an absolute blast on the track. Since I've gotten faster, I do wish it had more a torquey pull coming out of the corners, but it's ok otherwise and keeps up with a lot of cars that should be MUCH faster on short/technical tracks.

The rest has been a total bummer. The quality of the car is total garbage. The door speakers rattle, the shift knob rattles, the rear deck rattles, the throwout bearing has been rattling around for 20k miles, the drivetrain has annoying lash forward and back, the trans is junk when it's cold, the DI fuel pump sounds like crickets, poor clutch feedback, etc. I hate driving the thing on the street so much it's been relegated to being a garage queen and only being taken out on track days. It's not found to wind out on backroads because it has no power and has no theatrics to back it up...all it does is make a loud buzzing noise for exhaust/intake racket.

Seriously disappointing. Once I bought another daily driver and I wasn't forced to drive the BRZ every day, I simply stopped caring about it. I've been beating myself up about selling it now and getting something I know I'd use more often. I've made it reliable on the track with a ton of brake work, oil cooler, tires, etc...but it's just a bore on the street.

Hate to be Captain Buzzkill, but maybe some of you fellas that still have passion for these cars can talk some sense into me.
I love the car on the street, and I'm basically all stock. Just looking at the car makes me happy. Getting inside of it... well that's even better.
Mattstermh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mattstermh For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (11-05-2016), Mr.Impreza (11-06-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 02:21 AM   #581
Ravenna

Drives: Raven 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
I bought my 2013 FRS a few months ago. It was bone stock with only 14k miles on the odometer. Since then I have gotten new/wider wheels and tires, rsr superdown springs, exhaust and Valenti tails. The previous owner had some creature comfort upgrades from 86 FRS company which included all black leather with red stitched seats, new shift boot, upgraded OEM audio sub and a TRD style duck tail spoiler. I initially fell in love with the black on black beautiful design and comfortable and sporty seating, then fell deeper after the test drive. After these few months I have definitely noticed the pros and cons I'd read so much about. Lower power and not so great transmission. The lower power doesn't really bother me because even though you can tell it's not much, it still feels very fast due to the light weight and high revving engine that sounds amazing when aftermarket exhaust is installed. Also I know this car is very moddable and that's really it right there. I came for the beauty and feel of the car and stayed for the spirit and moddability of it. To me, the twins are a car resurrected from the 90's Golden Era of Japanese tuning. It's one of those perfect blank canvas cars that you can really do whatever you want. Even with the downsides, the car has a spirit you can feel, a real personality and every time I drive, it's like having a very involved and interesting conversation with a good friend. There's an undeniable connection there. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my FRS and hope to be an owner for many many years to come.
86 South Africa (11-20-2016), Boomerang (11-18-2016), darthpnoy1984 (11-18-2016), Hoahao (11-18-2016), mrg666 (11-20-2016), new2subaru (11-18-2016), Tcoat (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #582
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
I bought my 2013 FRS a few months ago. It was bone stock with only 14k miles on the odometer. Since then I have gotten new/wider wheels and tires, rsr superdown springs, exhaust and Valenti tails. The previous owner had some creature comfort upgrades from 86 FRS company which included all black leather with red stitched seats, new shift boot, upgraded OEM audio sub and a TRD style duck tail spoiler. I initially fell in love with the black on black beautiful design and comfortable and sporty seating, then fell deeper after the test drive. After these few months I have definitely noticed the pros and cons I'd read so much about. Lower power and not so great transmission. The lower power doesn't really bother me because even though you can tell it's not much, it still feels very fast due to the light weight and high revving engine that sounds amazing when aftermarket exhaust is installed. Also I know this car is very moddable and that's really it right there. I came for the beauty and feel of the car and stayed for the spirit and moddability of it. To me, the twins are a car resurrected from the 90's Golden Era of Japanese tuning. It's one of those perfect blank canvas cars that you can really do whatever you want. Even with the downsides, the car has a spirit you can feel, a real personality and every time I drive, it's like having a very involved and interesting conversation with a good friend. There's an undeniable connection there. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my FRS and hope to be an owner for many many years to come.
I think I just cried a bit....

Awesome work, you sum up the 86 experience so well...

Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:
Ravenna (11-21-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #583
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
the car has a spirit you can feel, a real personality and every time I drive, it's like having a very involved and interesting conversation with a good friend.
My car usually just says "Oh damnit you again?".

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-18-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
brzd (11-18-2016), cat94 (11-18-2016), DarkSunrise (11-19-2016), JazzleSAURUS (11-18-2016), mrg666 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #584
86Boyz

Drives: on the highway to hell
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
7/10
86Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #585
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
The reality is that it's a budget sports car, and in comparison to modern econo-boxes at the same price point it made sacrifices to meet it's intended purpose.

I have regrets too, I could have spent 1/5 the money and gotten a car just as satisfying to me. But everyone's standards are different.

What a person actually wants is hard to figure out, if you sold the 86 what would you get instead and why? A cheaper weekend cruiser? A more exciting one? A do it all car? There isn't anything like an 86 'but better' that isn't a sacrifice in some other way or at least double the price (if not in initial purchase than in long term maintenance).
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
brzd (11-20-2016), Hoahao (11-21-2016), Mr.Impreza (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #586
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've only had mine for about 6 months.

I'd say I'm about 7/10 right now. I love the way the car looks and I think the interior is okay.

I do think the mileage could be better. I normally average 33-34mpgs, but the fact that I'm required to buy premium kills it. At the gas station closest to my office, premium is $0.80 more a gallon. Comes to an extra $10 a tank.

My main gripe with the car is the engine. From the torque dip to the weird idling quirks, the diesel chatter when lugging to the crickets in the fuel pump, it just feels like an unrefined engine. Like I'm beta testing it.

It just does weird things that no other car I've ever had ever did. Just this morning, when I started it up -- it was about 36° outside -- it had a pretty big misfire... or something. While waiting for it to warm up, it was shaking the car.

That's not the first time it's had a kind of hiccup like that. Also, one time, the clutch slipped when going into third. My foot was all the way off the clutch and suddenly the car was going no where, then suddenly came back. It was either the clutch slipping or maybe it cut out again. Who knows.

The car just does weird things. And it's a little disconcerting. I don't think the car will leave me stranded, but with only 18k miles on it, I worry about the car long-term.

On a curvy backroad, the car has given me a couple experiences that I'll always remember. Hitting Lime Creek Road in Austin was amazing.

As a daily driver, it's not great but I've gotten used to it. I've had some issues with the head unit but a new phone seems to have fixed that. My seat heaters are barely there. Sometimes they work, sometimes it's a just placebo effect, haha.

It's a beautiful, niche car that's got some serious drawbacks. After 6 months of ownership and 18k miles, I'm still conflicted about it. When everything's going well and I'm in the right mood, the car is great. When it's acting up and I just want a reliable DD, I don't care for it. When I walk away from it to go to work, I look back at it.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #587
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The reality is that it's a budget sports car, and in comparison to modern econo-boxes at the same price point it made sacrifices to meet it's intended purpose.

I have regrets too, I could have spent 1/5 the money and gotten a car just as satisfying to me. But everyone's standards are different.

What a person actually wants is hard to figure out, if you sold the 86 what would you get instead and why? A cheaper weekend cruiser? A more exciting one? A do it all car? There isn't anything like an 86 'but better' that isn't a sacrifice in some other way or at least double the price (if not in initial purchase than in long term maintenance).
I hear the low budget excuses all the time, but the fact is other cars that cost the same amount of money aren't having the same issues. At least, not any of my friends cars. The fact is, it's just a very poorly built car. Many people are happy with it, and that's fine. It just doesn't work for me.

I'll be selling the car, I just don't know when yet. Still want a car for the track next season, so it just sits in the garage until then. I drove it for the 2nd time in 2 months last weekend and made it a whole block before thinking about taking it back and getting a different car. The whole car just sounds like it's falling apart with the dash, rear deck, door panels, throw out bearing, and speakers rattling. Then there's the garbage gearbox until it's warmed up, the drivetrain lash, the DI fuel pump sounding like crickets, reverse lockout on the shifter rattling, etc etc. I can't even turn the speakers up to drown out the noises because it makes the door panels rattle louder. This car is only fun to drive on a track, not even as a weekend car.

Everyone has their preference in cars, which I totally respect. If you're asking ME...I'll be picking up an 09+ Cayman S or a C6 Corvette Grand Sport. I have an XTerra for daily/winter use and a supercharged c5 zo6 that I use for a weekend fun car, drag, auto cross, 1/2 mile, and 1 mile racing. It's become a bit much for a road course and will take some time (and a lot of cooling) before it can do that and not be a 3 lap wonder. So, the Cayman or a Grand Sport will slot in nicely for another fun car and track warrior.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #588
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I hear the low budget excuses all the time, but the fact is other cars that cost the same amount of money aren't having the same issues.

This is truth. My last car was a Mazda3 that cost damn near half as much as my BRZ and it was solid as a rock. Great car.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote