follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Glok24

Drives: 2014 FR-s Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for BeSpoke head unit replacement

So I bought a 2014 FR-s at the beginning of September, and about a month later, the navigation and the bluetooth stopped working. Every other function still worked, but I decided to take it into a dealer to get it fixed, here's where it gets fun...
The dealership told me they could do an update for about 125$ for Diagnostic, +parts and labor for the update itself... on the phone they had told me 25$ total, with minimal coercion, they decided to honor the 25$ price i was quoted over the phone.
About an hour later, the service tech called me, and said that attempting the update froze my whole head unit. USB no longer works, AUX no longer works, the only thing that does work is FM radio, and every few seconds the screen changes to say something like "update mode active" though it does not interrupt the music, it is still annoying. They quoted about 640$ to get a new head unit, and informed me they wont be paying for a new one. By the time I got to the dealer to pick up the car, the tech told me he has emailed his manager, so they can contact corporate to see if they can help me out at all (im not holding my breath) I was able to find a used Bespoke head unit on ebay for under 300$ but i would really rather not get another one, if its just going to quit on me again.

So my very long-winded point is this: is there a head unit that anyone can recommend, that has Navigation, Bluetooth, USB support, and AUX support that is truly Plug and Play? I would really rather not have to cut any wires, or solder anything, but all of what I can find requires some sort of modification to the wiring or harness, or to the cover plate that goes over the dash.

Sorry for the essay, but any response is appreciated.

TL;DR
Bespoke head unit kinda sucks, need to replace it, want a fully Plug and Play aftermarket replacement (on a budget)
Glok24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Glok24

Bump
Old 10-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What's your budget? This helps determine what you can do. You'll get far superior results with imo minimal effort and far lower cost just going true aftermarket. The space in this car supports a 2din natively with only needing some plastic spacers. In fact many brz in Canada came stock with a 'aftermarket' pioneer unit. Food for thought.

So then, budget?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Glok24

well my budget would preferably be under the 640$ they quoted me for giving me a new Bespoke unit.
and the reason i want the true plug and play, is because i am not really knowledgeable at how to install a stereo where i have to mess with additional wiring and such, i dont wanna end up breaking something, you know? if its actually alot more simple than i am picturing, maybe i can try it out though. im just picturing it being pretty difficult
i really like the idea of this one http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109302 but i have not been able to find it in stock anywhere.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
Glok24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
What's your budget? This helps determine what you can do. You'll get far superior results with imo minimal effort and far lower cost just going true aftermarket. The space in this car supports a 2din natively with only needing some plastic spacers. In fact many brz in Canada came stock with a 'aftermarket' pioneer unit. Food for thought.

So then, budget?
what unit are you using in your car?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #6
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glok24 View Post
what unit are you using in your car?
Pioneer 4100 nex
Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glok24 View Post
well my budget would preferably be under the 640$ they quoted me for giving me a new Bespoke unit.
and the reason i want the true plug and play, is because i am not really knowledgeable at how to install a stereo where i have to mess with additional wiring and such, i dont wanna end up breaking something, you know? if its actually alot more simple than i am picturing, maybe i can try it out though. im just picturing it being pretty difficult
i really like the idea of this one http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109302 but i have not been able to find it in stock anywhere.
Dasglinq is definitely aftermarket. I'd say shop around a little. If you go after market, you'll probably need a small compliment of supporting parts for the head unit. Harnesses and such. Ask some of your local friends, someone prob has experience installing a stereo and can help you with wiring.

Crutchfield is a great website for starters. Their prices are not always the very best, but their support is spot on. You could try visiting a stereo shop too. They typically are friendly, but might try to sell you the world, so do some of your own research. 😊

Hope this helps
Old 10-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I am selling my 2013 Bespoke unit. Make an offer.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110033
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
arrow34

Drives: Firestorm red FRS 2015
Before going to the trouble of grabbing an aftermarket... Get them to fix it first! I replaced mine with an android unit, but if they fubar'd it they should fix it. Yeah it was acting up, but if it is really broken because they tried to "fix it" I would also email corporate with their response. I was able to get my old Scion TC's truck hatch opening section replaced for free because it had broken and it was a known issue. They covered it as a "curtsey" to me.
arrow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Glok24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow34 View Post
Before going to the trouble of grabbing an aftermarket... Get them to fix it first! I replaced mine with an android unit, but if they fubar'd it they should fix it. Yeah it was acting up, but if it is really broken because they tried to "fix it" I would also email corporate with their response. I was able to get my old Scion TC's truck hatch opening section replaced for free because it had broken and it was a known issue. They covered it as a "curtsey" to me.
First of all, thank you everyone for your advice. Im currently waiting to hear back from the dealer, they said they were contacting corporate, if they don't get back to me today, ill contact them myself, because you are right, they ruined it, they should have to pay for it. . If you break a neighbor's window, you pay for it right? Same deal here. Ill try everything I can to get them to pay for it, but if they dont, im glad I have this info available

Tags
bespoke, head unit replacement, plug and play