follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #323
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Idk, but only time I notice the idle drop is when my A/C is on.
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #324
Lytheum

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
confirmed the idle drop today in my brz for the first time. i was at a taco bell drive thru and noticed the rpms drop to about 400 then bounce up to 900...it then did it again but dropped to about 500 and jumped up a few then leveled out. the a/c was running with the fan on the lowest setting.

ill mention it at my first oil change or take it in if it keeps happening
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #325
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytheum View Post
confirmed the idle drop today in my brz for the first time. i was at a taco bell drive thru and noticed the rpms drop to about 400 then bounce up to 900...it then did it again but dropped to about 500 and jumped up a few then leveled out. the a/c was running with the fan on the lowest setting.

This is different.

Your car wanted you to get away from Taco Bell...

(it's sad when you're tired enough to crack up IRL at your own jokes....)
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #326
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I'm at ~250 miles on the FRS and I've seen the idle rpm drop from ~750 to 500. At 500 it shakes a bit (the shifter) and almost sounds like its about to stall
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #327
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout fr-s View Post
alright guys,

As I am the first person to actually let Toyobaru technicians fully diagnose my car, Subaru and Toyota sent 2 technicians each from Japan too actually diagnose my engine and these issues we are experiencing.

So, to begin, the issues are NOT normal and need to be fixed. The technicians fixed some valves, readjusted cam angles etc.. but I will get the full repair specs Monday. They are also tracking my car tomorrow and Sunday to get full engine read outs for future FR-S owners. So as of Monday any of you experiencing this problem will have a fix, and a quick one at that.

I have not had my car for a month now because of this but I can tell you that as long as I know that future owners will not experience these problems it was well worth it. Good luck to everyone who has had this issue and if you are still experiencing this please take your cars to the dealership over the next month and your problems should be addressed a lot sooner than mine!
Any updates? Do you know if subaru is going to issue a TSB?
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #328
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Any updates? Do you know if subaru is going to issue a TSB?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #329
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Ablaze - 6MT)
I get both of these often, but assumed the chirping was coming from the DI system like someone mentioned in another thread maybe?
Subscribed; I want to see what the manufacturer says

Koji_Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #330
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji_Online View Post
I get both of these often, but assumed the chirping was coming from the DI system like someone mentioned in another thread maybe?
Subscribed; I want to see what the manufacturer says
Never had chirping in my MS3.
ZmZMWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #331
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Ablaze - 6MT)
Exclamation

Seems we have 2 threads of the same type going here; thought I had deja vu

Here is the other thread; notably, on page 5 yesterday a forum member took their car in & got some parts ordered; he will update when in & if the sound has been 'exterminated'

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8678

Koji_Online is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koji_Online For This Useful Post:
ZmZMWagon (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #332
EsoBOFH
Senior Hoonigan

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Let's try to keep this thread on track - we're discussing the idle issue, and the sudden drop in RPM.

I have 1400km on my 6MT FR-S, and have been experiencing the idle drop since the first day I got it. I'm running 94 Octane Chevron fuel (considered the best in my area). I haven't been running the A/C - and I don't believe it's related to accessories.

I notice this the most when coming up to a stop light fast, and when i'm stopped, clutch-in, the rpm drops and comes back a moment later. My first thinking was that it's a new car.. needs to run a bit to smooth out. Now, after seeing the video on how D4-S works, my thinking is that the switch from combustion chamber injection, to intake injection is the culprit here - i.e. the change is overlapping, and so the ecu is cutting fuel so the rpm doesn't surge, or the change is too far apart, and there's a momentary lack of fuel as it switches over (and with the clutch pushed in, there's not the extra momentum of parts spinning...)

The above could definitely be caused by the camshaft being off, or if the exhaust valves timing is affected and the flow through the cylinders is interrupted going from high speed to low.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer (as I'm sure everyone is) because I don't want the techs joy riding in my car while they work to figure it out. I'd be much happier to walk in with a TSB and say - I have this, fix it please

That said, I'm going to locate a # for a SCION Canada rep, and will post it here if/when I get it for all the CAD folks to call in.
EsoBOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #333
b.e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava, 2007 Tundra
Garage
I guess the question I'd want answered before I let anyone change valve timing is this: Do I want full power at high revs, or a stable idle. I've never driven a car with both. There are too many compromises that adjusting the variable timing can't solve (like tuning a stringed instrument to make a perfect chord for all 12 notes...maybe it's a reason they call fiddling with a car "tuning"). Until I know exactly what I'm giving up, no one changes my valve timing. That's why I want to see an "adjusted" engine on the dyno. We all have factory engines and we've seen the dyno graphs. I want to know what happened to HP and torque after the adjustment.

Maybe some of you have engines which are out of spec and need adjusting. But I'd darn well want to know WHY they are out of spec before adjusting it. I can't believe that we are all getting more or less random cam shaft alignments on our engines from the factory. That's one of the things that gave Detroit a bad rep back in the 1970s; modern manufacturing can't operate that way, and computers make the measurement and adjustment very easy to do.
b.e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to b.e For This Useful Post:
Tomzilla (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #334
csaba

Drives: scion tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsoBOFH View Post
Let's try to keep this thread on track - we're discussing the idle issue, and the sudden drop in RPM.

I have 1400km on my 6MT FR-S, and have been experiencing the idle drop since the first day I got it. I'm running 94 Octane Chevron fuel (considered the best in my area). I haven't been running the A/C - and I don't believe it's related to accessories.

I notice this the most when coming up to a stop light fast, and when i'm stopped, clutch-in, the rpm drops and comes back a moment later. My first thinking was that it's a new car.. needs to run a bit to smooth out. Now, after seeing the video on how D4-S works, my thinking is that the switch from combustion chamber injection, to intake injection is the culprit here - i.e. the change is overlapping, and so the ecu is cutting fuel so the rpm doesn't surge, or the change is too far apart, and there's a momentary lack of fuel as it switches over (and with the clutch pushed in, there's not the extra momentum of parts spinning...)

The above could definitely be caused by the camshaft being off, or if the exhaust valves timing is affected and the flow through the cylinders is interrupted going from high speed to low.

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer (as I'm sure everyone is) because I don't want the techs joy riding in my car while they work to figure it out. I'd be much happier to walk in with a TSB and say - I have this, fix it please

That said, I'm going to locate a # for a SCION Canada rep, and will post it here if/when I get it for all the CAD folks to call in.
Its makes a lot of sense what you saying ,
I just like to know how did they miss this at the factory during testing. ....??

Unless they knew about it and did not have enough time to fix it ....have no idea
csaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #335
Northside

Drives: Civic FD 1.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsoBOFH View Post

... Now, after seeing the video on how D4-S works, my thinking is that the switch from combustion chamber injection, to intake injection is the culprit here - i.e. the change is overlapping, and so the ecu is cutting fuel so the rpm doesn't surge, or the change is too far apart, and there's a momentary lack of fuel as it switches over (and with the clutch pushed in, there's not the extra momentum of parts spinning...)

I initially suspected an iacv/maf/air leak problem but EsoBOFH may have something there about the D-4S system switching from combustion chamber injection to intake port injection and vice versa.

Let's hope the Toyota engineers figure it out.
Northside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #336
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytheum View Post

That's the setting I have on the A/C when it occurs, I turn the A/C off and it idles normal again.
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote