follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
ZX88

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installing GT86 TRD Side Skirts

TRD Side Skirt Install Tutorial.

So when I was doing research about installing the trd stuff I noticed no ones had done a write up for the side skirts. Im going to attempt to document the steps to maybe give those thinking about going this route some insight. (its really simple but i take no responsibility for what you do...)

Side Skirts

Time (1-2.5 hours)
Parts needed: TRD side skirt clip and install kit (included if you buy from a dealership)
Tools Needed: Philips screwdriver, trim removal tool (recommended but not required)

Step 1: Look at the bottom of the rocker panel and you will see a series of rubber plugs. You will want to remove the three middle plugs via a trim removal tool. Mine had what it looks like some rubberized spray on the panel so don’t be afraid that it peels off when you remove the plugs (there us paint underneath).

Step2: Clean the areas around the three holes so that there isn’t any hanging paint around the holes and apply the rubber washers that have 3m on the backing. Its not super critical to get these to line up perfectly since they are larger than the holes themselves.

Step 3: Remove the push clip from the rocker panel towerds the front wheel well with your trim piece remover.

Step 4: Remove two (top 2) of three screws at the front fender that holds the fender liners to the back of the front wheel well.

(picture is of the screws at the front bumper but they are the same)

Step 5: Using the template (sticker paper) provided in the install kit. Cut it out and apply it to the front of the rear wheel well. Note where the horizontal lines on the template are with some painters tape since you will use these to place the two clips that will hold the shirt at the back.

Step 6: Remove the template and install the two fender clips in their correct place (use the painters tape for reference)

Step 7: Test fit the shirt to make sure the holes line up with the clip.

Step 8: Prep the mounting surface with some wax/degreaser.

Step 9: Remove part the 3m double sided tape from the back of the side skirt. It is recommended to peel off a small part and tape (the red overlay) and bend it over to the outside of the skirt. (This will make it easier or move it around if it doesn’t line up correctly as well as help with the adhesion in the next step).

refer to 6:31 of this video if you dont understand.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WONfkALskKs"]FRS/GT-86 TRD Front Lip Install - YouTube[/ame]

Step 10: Screw In the skirt via the supplied screws that come in the kit (Rear) and attach the front via the 2 push clips.

REAR:

FRONT:

Step 11: Place the three plugs that go into the bottom of the rocker panel, that attach the skirt at the bottom. At this time also replaced the front push clip on the rocker near the front wheel well.

Step 12: Check for fitment if it all looks good start removing the rest of the red film from the double sided tape while apply pressure to the tape as you move across the side skirt.

Thats it. Super simple
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ZX88 For This Useful Post:
86geek (10-08-2019), chaoskaze (06-16-2016), FiRStsc10n (05-22-2015), funwheeldrive (05-27-2015), G-awesome (01-05-2016), JamesssSmith (06-01-2017), MCTeeJ (12-26-2019), MisterSheep (01-05-2016), NABoxer (05-07-2016), nzbrooke (11-25-2016), shiumai (05-21-2015), spike021 (05-18-2018), swarb (08-01-2015), ysr50guy (07-19-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice! Thanks for the write-up! If I'm not mistaken, the side skirt looks completely reversible, is that right?
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Nice write up. Been looking at the TRD sideskirt for awhile, where did you get yours that had the instal kit included?
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
ZX88

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiranakayama View Post
Nice! Thanks for the write-up! If I'm not mistaken, the side skirt looks completely reversible, is that right?
Not sure what you mean by reversible.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #5
ZX88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Nice write up. Been looking at the TRD sideskirt for awhile, where did you get yours that had the instal kit included?
I got my stuff from Luis at carson toyota. The side skirt kit includes all mounting hardware. The clips that hold the skirt to the rear well is pretty neat at it sandwiches onto the lip of well creating an area to screw in. Definitly worth getting the proper hardware.

You can alse get the kit from japanparts.com (i used them a couple of times) most recently for modellista rear spats.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZX88 For This Useful Post:
86geek (10-08-2019), MisterSheep (01-07-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
Not sure what you mean by reversible.
Sorry, should've been more clear.

I mean, the side skirts look like you can remove them and return the car to stock pretty easily?
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
ollie

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiranakayama View Post
Sorry, should've been more clear.

I mean, the side skirts look like you can remove them and return the car to stock pretty easily?

Yeah you can remove them easily. It is only held on by clips and some 3m tape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:35 AM   #8
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
My trd side skirts came in the mail yesterday
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (06-16-2016), Tectoniic (06-16-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Insurme1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Clips?

Quote:
TRD Side Skirt Install Tutorial.

So when I was doing research about installing the trd stuff I noticed no ones had done a write up for the side skirts. Im going to attempt to document the steps

Step 1: Look at the bottom of the rocker panel and you will see a series of rubber plugs. You will want to remove the three middle plugs via a trim removal tool. Mine had what it looks like some rubberized spray on the panel so don’t be afraid that it peels off when you remove the plugs (there us paint underneath).

Step2: Clean the areas around the three holes so that there isn’t any hanging paint around the holes and apply the rubber washers that have 3m on the backing. Its not super critical to get these to line up perfectly since they are larger than the holes themselves.

[URL=http://s575.photobucket.com

[URL=http://s575.photobucket.com/user/zx882/media/IMG_3324_zpsk9dhhjf8.jpg.html][IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/zx882/IMG_3324_zpsk9dhhjf8.

[URL=http://s575.photobucket.com/user/zx882/media/IMG_3336_zpsial46dsp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/

[URL=http://s575.photobucket.com/user/zx882/media/IMG_3334_zpsnanvpbdf.jpg.html][/
(picture is of the screws at the front bumper but they are the same)

Step 5: Using the template (sticker paper) provided in the install kit. Cut it out and apply it to the front of the rear wheel well. Note where the horizontal lines on the template are with some painters tape since you will use these to place the two clips that will hold the shirt at the back.

Step 6: Remove the template and install the two fender clips in their correct place (use the painters tape for reference)

Step 7: Test fit the shirt to make sure the holes line up with the clip.

Step 8: Prep the mounting surface with some wax/degreaser.

Step 9: Remove part the 3m double sided tape from the back of the side skirt. It is recommended to peel off a small part and tape (the red overlay) and bend it over to the outside of the skirt. (This will make it easier or move it around if it doesn’t line up correctly as well as help with the adhesion in the next step).

refer to 6:31 of this video if you dont understand.

Step 10: Screw In the skirt via the supplied screws that come in the kit (Rear) and attach the front via the 2 push clips.

REAR:

FRONT:

Step 11: Place the three plugs that go into the bottom of the rocker panel, that attach the skirt at the bottom. At this time also replaced the front push clip on the rocker near the front wheel well.

Step 12: Check for fitment if it all looks good start removing the rest of the red film from the double sided tape while apply pressure to the tape as you move across the side skirt.

Thats it. Super simple
Nice write up! Do you by chance have a part numb r for those clips used in the wheel opening area for the side skirt?
Insurme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
ZX88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insurme1 View Post
Nice write up! Do you by chance have a part numb r for those clips used in the wheel opening area for the side skirt?
sorry i dont but there is a package from trd that you can order. my skirts were shipped without them but the dealer was able to source replacements.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZX88 For This Useful Post:
Insurme1 (10-08-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #11
mGammal

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86 with Aero Kit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Side skirt clips part numbers

Quote:
sorry i dont but there is a package from trd that you can order. my skirts were shipped without them but the dealer was able to source replacements.
Check the Attached image for the part numbers.

I'm looking for the clip numbered 75867C if anybody came across it.
Attached Images

mGammal is offline   Reply With Quote