follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Nah

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs 6mt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quick coilover question

ST suspension... looks like a great budget coilover. I'm not planning to lower the car past 50mm.

My question is, do I need LCA's or camber bolts to get my camber right after installing? I'd rather just wait to throw everything on all at once if needed. It's a DD but I do drive spiritedly when I can.

Thanks Fam
Nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If it's just a DD with some occasional spirited driving, you don't really need much (if any) camber adjustment. Camber becomes more of an issue if you're driving the car hard in a track or autox setting. Some camber bolts in the front might not be a bad idea, but you really shouldn't need significant amounts of camber for DD.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
If it's just a DD with some occasional spirited driving, you don't really need much (if any) camber adjustment. Camber becomes more of an issue if you're driving the car hard in a track or autox setting. Some camber bolts in the front might not be a bad idea, but you really shouldn't need significant amounts of camber for DD.
What's your setup? Alright cool just don't feel like lowering the car paying for an alignment just for me to pay for camber bolts or LCA and get another alignment.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If it's mostly DD, then for NVH sake it's worth keep using stock rubber tops vs pillowball camplates. And in such case LCA/camberbolts is most popular (and reasonably priced at that) way to dial in negative camber, which is handy for occasional track days / spirited drives ..
You won't get much camber by just camberbolts, but then again it's not worth adjusting to much neg. camber for mostly daily driven car. I'd say, some -1.5 front/-1 rear up to -2.5F/-2R might be ok. More - mostly if you visit track often.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
If it's mostly DD, then for NVH sake it's worth keep using stock rubber tops vs pillowball camplates. And in such case LCA/camberbolts is most popular (and reasonably priced at that) way to dial in negative camber, which is handy for occasional track days / spirited drives ..
You won't get much camber by just camberbolts, but then again it's not worth adjusting to much neg. camber for mostly daily driven car. I'd say, some -1.5 front/-1 rear up to -2.5F/-2R might be ok. More - mostly if you visit track often.
ST coilovers keep those stock rubber tops right? Yes I agree, LCA and camberbolts are indeed reasonably priced. I just want everything in spec when lowered 1.5 inches if that...

Spacers, hubcentric 20mm by b2 auto designs they claim bolt on... is this true? I thought with spacers that big you'd have to extend those studs
Old 10-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,487 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
I just want everything in spec when lowered 1.5 inches if that...
What does 'in spec' mean to you?

Less than -1 degree of camber on all four corners for tire wear?
between -1 and -2 degrees because sportscar?
-2 to -3 degrees because racecar?
-5 degrees because stance?

Assuming you mean 'factory specifications' because you are mostly concerned with tire wear and you want approximately -1 degrees of camber: the fronts will be fine, the rear will have noticeably increased camber when lowered ~2" (which is a lot imo, 25.4mm = 1", 50mm = 1.97"), I'd guess you'll end up about -2 degrees of camber or more in the rear which won't cause any major problems aside from marginally increased rear tire wear on the inner shoulder.

If you want to maximize tire life, pick up a set of rear LCA's if you're lowering that much.

No you don't need to buy toe adjustment pieces, factory is good enough.

As for the spacers, look at the picture closely, you use the factory studs to bolt on the spacer, then you bolt the wheel to the spacer:

Sounds like this is all for looks so if that's what you want then go for it.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Fenix

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S + 2011 Yamaha R6
Garage
Quote:
ST suspension... looks like a great budget coilover. I'm not planning to lower the car past 50mm.

My question is, do I need LCA's or camber bolts to get my camber right after installing? I'd rather just wait to throw everything on all at once if needed. It's a DD but I do drive spiritedly when I can.

Thanks Fam
Coilovers are unnecessary for your needs.

BILSTEIN B8 Performance Plus Shocks + Swift Sport Springs
TRD Sway Bars or
Whiteline Sway Bars

You could also look into JDM parts.
TRD JP
STI JP
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenix For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:

50mm is 2" of drop, just FYI.

As for your question: yes, you need camber correction but it depends on how much you want to lower the car. "no more than 50mm drop" is not an answer nor does it provide useful information on what your alignment will end up being.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Nah

Alright I'm going to try and be as specific as possible... I'm not an expert but this isn't my first car outta high school that I've modded

the absolute end result of my suspension needs would have to be able to accommodate larger wheels and handle a mild supercharger setup.

As for feel, I'd like my suspension to be prepared for light track duty yet comfy for the street.

I rode in a buddy who had Megan coilovers and while the stiffness made handling feel better that coil binding sound killed me. Could've been due to a shitty coilover or install I don't know.

Personally in my previous cars I've never ran coilovers I'd use koni shocks with lowering springs and be done with it but I stayed all motor and never had bigger wheels.

Right now, I have full bolt ons (JDL uel) and I'm tuned for e85. Next I'll do suspension, than 18 inch wheels (volk enkei etc.), than brakes, a clutch, and of course finally the S.C. with all the other supporting mods.

So taking all this into consideration, what would you suggest? I'm a patient person I don't mind saving money up for something that will allow growth for the future. forget about the spacers unless I will absolutely need them lol

Thank you!
Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
2" drop is also something i wouldn't want to suggest to anyone that daily drives car as it ought to be driven, instead of crabwalks over speedbumps un steep driveways, bottom scraping and bottoming out suspension everywhere or living with too harsh one. Please limit that stupid lowering within 1". Our cars are not that high to begin with.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Fenix (10-07-2016), JDM4E (10-08-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
2" drop is also something i wouldn't want to suggest to anyone that daily drives car as it ought to be driven, instead of crabwalks over speedbumps un steep driveways, bottom scraping and bottoming out suspension everywhere or living with too harsh one. Please limit that stupid lowering within 1". Our cars are not that high to begin with.
I clearly stated I'm looking to drop 1.5 inches IF THAT. lol don't limit yourself now buddy (;

And Fenix what are you his cheerleader? Lol gohd
Old 10-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,487 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
I clearly stated I'm looking to drop 1.5 inches IF THAT. lol don't limit yourself now buddy (;

Quote:
I'm not planning to lower the car past 50mm.

The laws of physics are a harsh mistress. Good luck with your setup.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Meh, I'm around a 2" drop, and have a CS lip. Only a couple places I have problems and those are just ridiculously designed entry/exits with either huge dips/huge humps. If you have a super abrupt steep driveway or those incredibly giant speed bumps you may have problems. Normal speed bumps etc are fine. And that's up here in CT where the winters tear the roads up, your roads are probably nicer down there (sans Hurricanes ).

No experience with them, but ST coils are based on KW V1's which are decent for the money. Get SPC camber bolts for the front and SPC LCA's for the rear, and get it aligned by a good shop after you set the ride height. If you don't like the height, set it differently (though you'll have to align again). That's the beauty of coilovers.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Meh, I'm around a 2" drop, and have a CS lip. Only a couple places I have problems and those are just ridiculously designed entry/exits with either huge dips/huge humps. If you have a super abrupt steep driveway or those incredibly giant speed bumps you may have problems. Normal speed bumps etc are fine. And that's up here in CT where the winters tear the roads up, your roads are probably nicer down there (sans Hurricanes ).
I can't even imagine being able to pull that off. Even at only a 1" drop with no body kit I still scrape sometimes. It's usually just the front lip or resonator on my exhaust, but it still bugs me every time it happens.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smg1138 For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (10-09-2016)