follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ sold, thanks for everything ft86club!

Today, I signed over the title for my BRZ Limited 6MT. It remains my favorite 4 seater of all time, but after 4 years and 4 months of automotive bliss (and after much deliberation), I have decided to go back to the MX-5.

I followed the development of the FT86 since the early rumors of Toyota’s successor to the old AE86, reading every article, and even traveling to the NYIAS to see the concepts. I’m member #22 on this forum, and probably the first person in North America to place a deposit for an FT86 (the only car for which I’ve placed a deposit before test driving, or paid MSRP). This email I sent to a friend in early 2012 summed up my enthusiasm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslock-in-early-2012
Based on the reviews, it's what I've wanted for 15 years: 2+2, sorted out chassis, relatively lightweight, low COG, low yaw moment, good MPG, cheap, RWD, slick short throw, responsive throttle, and great steering feel. It's not very powerful by today's standards, but has plenty of output as far as I'm concerned.

If I didn't need 3 seats, I'd just stick with my Miata (not as rigid, but a blast to drive). I figure this is as close as I can get while I move into the chauffeuring phase of parenthood.

I wouldn't call the FT86 uncompromising nor would I declare any not-yet released car an E30 successor, but for the most part the article is spot on, in my opinion.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/01/24/op...r-is-a-toyota/
I went into the BRZ test drive with very high expectations, and it didn't disappoint. It was everything I’d hoped for… absurdly responsive and predictable, very easy to slide around, and the best shifter I’ve ever felt in a Subaru. For years I thought it'd be cool if Subru came out with a more efficient and (relatively) high revving boxer, and they achieved that (with some help from Toyota and Yamaha).

However, my plan was always to go back to the MX-5 once I no longer needed rear seats, and that time has arrived.

Still, it took a lot of contemplation before deciding to go through with it. I smiled every time I drove the BRZ. Every time. If something had happened to it while I still needed rear seats, I would’ve gone out and bought another one.

And it’s not as if the MX-5 overshadows the BRZ. In fact, the BRZ has several notable advantages:
  1. Every input has an immediate effect (the MX-5’s steering is quite good, but it’s not as responsive)
  2. Flatter and more planted handling
  3. Engine output doesn't drop off like the MX-5's
  4. Perfect driver position, seats, and controls layout (though this is quite good in the MX-5 too)
  5. Has rear seats (good for kids, or even an adult on a short drive), significantly more storage space (larger trunk and fold-flat seats), spare tire
  6. Stupid easy oil change (oil filter up top with catch basin)
  7. Fixed roof = less to worry about (vs soft-top)
The BRZ is the ultimate jack-of-all-trades vehicle for those of us that value lightweight, RWD momentum cars, but need a little practicality. Even today I'm still impressed with what Subaru and Toyota accomplished, and part of me thinks I'm crazy for getting rid of it.

However, the MX-5 has its own set of advantages:
  1. Though its CoG isn’t as low, the car is lighter overall
  2. Shorter wheelbase makes it fun to flick around at low speeds
  3. Engine punchier in the mid-range, and the car feels a bit livelier down there (though this is mostly due to the MX-5’s weight advantage)
  4. Double-wishbone > struts (though the MX’5’s stock suspension is overly soft)
  5. Fun at any speed (the BRZ has some of that to a certain extent, but isn’t quite as exhilarating at low speeds)
  6. Slightly nicer interior
  7. Open-top playfulness
Ultimately, both cars are very capable and a blast to drive. But as much as I adore the BRZ, it’s hard to compete with a roadster’s wind-in-your-hair experience. And utility aside, to me the MX-5's excessive body roll is its only really significant drawback, and that's fairly easy to remedy. Most of the other disadvantages are like comparing a grade of 96% to 98%, and that open-top playfulness beckons.

Anyway, thanks for everything! This site has been a valuable resource, and I wish all of you a fond farewell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

tl;dr:
  • Went from MX-5 to BRZ because rear seats
  • After 4 years 4 months of bliss with BRZ, going back to MX-5
  • BRZ more responsive and planted, MX-5 more playful, both cars capable and fun
  • Thanks for everything, farewell
Attached Images

Last edited by Deslock; 10-06-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Deslock For This Useful Post:
Bowen (10-06-2016), cdq85 (10-08-2016), darthpnoy1984 (10-21-2016), Kimsey47 (10-07-2016), krayzie (10-05-2016), MasonL1997 (10-09-2016), Mr.Impreza (10-05-2016), MuseChaser (10-06-2016), Psilox (10-06-2016), rcm47 (10-05-2016), soulreapersteve (10-06-2016), Zaku (10-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
nmastereal

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
when can i take the ft86 vanity =p
nmastereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
4 years & 4 months is a good amount of time. What year MX-5 do you have/are you getting? Have you driven an S2000? They are worth checking out, if you have not...
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
Deslock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmastereal View Post
when can i take the ft86 vanity =p
After an amount of time (weeks or months?), it should be available. I was pretty psyched to get that plate back in 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
4 years & 4 months is a good amount of time. What year MX-5 do you have/are you getting? Have you driven an S2000? They are worth checking out, if you have not...
None yet. Will get an ND Club 6MT, though I'm currently deciding whether to buy an old NA first and go for the ND once the 2017s are out.

I've driven many AP1s, and though they're awesome, I prefer the MX-5 because it's lighter, cheaper, simpler, and more fun a low speed. If I wanted something more serious or for the track, I'd consider an S2k.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ain't gotta say goodbye! Many of us love the Miata so no harm in staying active! If I had the money, I'd get an ND Miata alongside my BRZ!

Post pics of the ND!
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nooo

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBUz2nkOKsc"]Blackstreet - Don't Leave Me - YouTube[/ame]
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Congrats on the new car! Or future congrats I guess...

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Thanks for the heartfelt post, and the blog link. I read the blog link with particular interest; my previous car was an E36 which I loved, Loved, LOVED, but between the almost 250,000 miles I put on the car and our dang @#$#$ salted roads in winter, I couldn't reasonably keep it going any more so I set out to find a replacement. Originally, my intent was just to find another E36 in good shape with less miles. Couldn't find one at anything approaching a reasonable price so I started researching other RWD MT cars that I had a chance at affording. You know the rest of the story. There's still things I miss about my E36, but in many ways, as the blog said, the FR-S IS a worthy successor as a driver's car.

Again.. appreciated the post. Thanks.

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Deslock (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
Deslock

Quote:
Originally Posted by himbo View Post
Ain't gotta say goodbye! Many of us love the Miata so no harm in staying active! If I had the money, I'd get an ND Miata alongside my BRZ!

Post pics of the ND!
Will pop in occasionally.

Could've kept the BRZ and bought an ND, but that didn't make sense for my situation (don't drive much, critters around here nest in stationary cars, have plans for family fleet, should save money).

Current plan is to buy a cheap NA and reassess the ND next year (since the 2017s, revised tranny, and RF will be out). Intend to stick with the soft-top due to it being lighter, cheaper, and (most importantly) more open, but I should at least drive the RF before dismissing it.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Will pop in occasionally.

Could've kept the BRZ and bought an ND, but that didn't make sense for my situation (don't drive much, critters around here nest in stationary cars, have plans for family fleet, should save money).

Current plan is to buy a cheap NA and reassess the ND next year (since the 2017s, revised tranny, and RF will be out). Intend to stick with the soft-top due to it being lighter, cheaper, and (most importantly) more open, but I should at least drive the RF before dismissing it.
The RF looks awesome, and if they made a regular hardtop coupe, I would seriously consider getting it. Good luck in your search for an NA, that was the first convertible I ever got a ride in
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
I too am seriously considering the RF. Us 2009 OGs are dropping like flies lol.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #12
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
The ND's are great cars, hard to beat from a fun factor stand point. I'm surprised you thought the interior on the ND is nicer than a BRZ?

I just bought a '17 BRZ and nearly bought an ND instead, but I thought the Club interiors were kinda crummy. I agree with all your other ND pro's though, as well as the BRZ pro's. I wish the BRZ powerband was more like the ND in the mid-range, that car never feels like it is bogging or out of grunt.

This is my second twin (also had a '13 FRS), the only other car I have bought twice was a Miata
Old 10-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #13
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The moonlight tonight made me wish i had a convertible! Congrats!
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote