follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #449
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobiwan View Post
my V2kit makes 14psi without restrictor. ( 11~12psi with 43mm restrictor)

http://www.datazap.me/u/yobiwan/sc-d...9&zoom=266-327

but boost level in supercharger is dependent on altitude ( IAT & exhaust setup too )

I checked boost level at 50~100m from sea level.

I think you live at very high area.
You are correct. I am at a higher altitude and therefore peak at around 0.75BAR

I am not worried about this.. it's normal. The problem is with the lack of support from HKS USA, again. HKS USA told me that the restrictor does not alter boost at all and that I needed to buy a new pulley.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #450
Koj

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingtonFRS View Post
Jesus Christ dude. That's what I was telling you but you seemed to need to argue that they were selling a MAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jesus Christ is dead. Let him sleep in peace.
And stop to quote me each time for saying "HKS is not selling map" as if I said they was selling it. Read again what you posted first. I never said that.

I tryed to stop your troll but you quote me again. stop ! ok ?
bye !
Koj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #451
HuntingtonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You have problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HuntingtonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #452
Koj

Garage
No I haven't .. and you ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Koj For This Useful Post:
HuntingtonFRS (09-29-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #453
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koj View Post
Rich,
I had same problem when I requested oil information for my Engine to HKS Europe.

In the other hands, my HKSv2 just fucked up, but HKS took it in warranty and resend me a new full kit HKS v2.
At last! Reports of failed HKSes from other regions! Here in Russia, where already 7 SCs failed with the exact same symptoms, we also tend to think that traction fluid is the reason which enchances the constructive weakness (to say polite) of the unit in cold weather conditions. The "cold climate" fluid seems to be a must if you have <0C winters, in that case the units might last longer than 4-12 thousand km which seems to be the average life of these blowers here. Just one of the owners managed to get the replacement unit from HKS free of charge. Others, including me, had to buy new blowers or get rid of the kit/car.
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #454
Koj

Garage
Efferalgan

I m so sad for those who had to buy a new Kit.
Mine was under warranty but 11 month old, near the limit...
I guess yours was already over the warranty day limit.
I had that problem with my Fujitsubo Manifold .. it died at 13 months and wasn't taken in warranty.

Is there a thread about the HKS S/C problem where we can define all symptoms and maybe solution, do stats over the world, etc.. ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Koj For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #455
Efferalgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koj View Post
Efferalgan

I m so sad for those who had to buy a new Kit.
Mine was under warranty but 11 month old, near the limit...
I guess yours was already over the warranty day limit.
I had that problem with my Fujitsubo Manifold .. it died at 13 months and wasn't taken in warranty.

Is there a thread about the HKS S/C problem where we can define all symptoms and maybe solution, do stats over the world, etc.. ?
The problem is that most kits were imported either from Japan or the US, not via HKS Europe AD and therefore HKS kicked-out warranty claims from the owners. Most kits died yonger than 12 months from installation, mine - in about 8 months after 7000 km. Some last longer. All depends on how heavily you use the car. If just 'granny driving' and summer only - it might live quite long, but if you track and drift + leaving the car outside in winter times then this HKS SC is cleary a spare part. We are joking here that those who still drive with the HKS SC need to always have a spare one in the trunk

I've been positing photos of the failed unitis earlier in this thread serial numbers etc. But it got little/no interest from the community. I can make a separate thread with photos of all the failed units, maybe then HKS would tell the truth to the world

Lukily, myself and couple of other folks managed to get the so-called rehaul kit which includes the blower, the filter, the fluid + some other spare parts and costs about $1800. So, at least did not need to buy an entire kit anew. 2 guys have done exactly that though - bought the entire kit twice. The replacemed units are holding-up so far. But recently a 15-series (which is the year of manufacture we believe) failed too. Which destroyed our hopes that the new 2015 units are somehow revised or something. Almost like Lana Del Rey sings: they all born to die

Last edited by Efferalgan; 09-30-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #456
Torry@HKSUSA

Drives: HKS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I still wonder what it is causing problems only in Russia, and now France. We've sold hundreds of these kits in the U.S. and haven't had any warranty issues on the supercharger itself that I recall.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #457
Efferalgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
I still wonder what it is causing problems only in Russia, and now France. We've sold hundreds of these kits in the U.S. and haven't had any warranty issues on the supercharger itself that I recall.
The main suspect as now is the stock traction fluid which probably causes fast wear of the SC's weak threads which hold the unit together during freezing temprature starts. One of the guys here switched to the Rotrex fluid (which is also much cheaper) with his 2nd blower and so far running good. Already >10 000km. Let's see whether it survives winter though...

Plus, the V2 with the 90mm pulley has never been officially sold in the US as I understand. So as the V1 with 100mm. The V2 rotation speed is much higher than the one for V3 with the stock 110mm pulley => V3 faces less load, less wear.

I guess that if you'd sell 100 v2 units with "normal" traction fluid in Alaska and check the statistics a year later (after 5 months of winter), it would be similar to the one we have here
The Following User Says Thank You to Efferalgan For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (08-07-2017)
Old 09-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #458
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
At last! Reports of failed HKSes from other regions! Here in Russia, where already 7 SCs failed with the exact same symptoms, we also tend to think that traction fluid is the reason which enchances the constructive weakness (to say polite) of the unit in cold weather conditions. The "cold climate" fluid seems to be a must if you have <0C winters, in that case the units might last longer than 4-12 thousand km which seems to be the average life of these blowers here. Just one of the owners managed to get the replacement unit from HKS free of charge. Others, including me, had to buy new blowers or get rid of the kit/car.
I don't own a HKS supercharger, but there are plenty of more Northern States that see freezing temperatures and WELL below that.

There could be another reason here.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #459
Torry@HKSUSA

Drives: HKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I don't own a HKS supercharger, but there are plenty of more Northern States that see freezing temperatures and WELL below that.

There could be another reason here.
Yeah, I mean heck, we're in Michigan. I know that's not northern Siberia, but we see plenty of cold. However, we don't daily drive our FR-S either. But to your point, there are plenty of people in North America running the HKS supercharger without any problems in climates that are just as cold as the majority of Russia, and definitely colder than France.

But maybe there is something to the oil used and pulley size that is a reason the NA market is not seeing these problems.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #460
Efferalgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
Yeah, I mean heck, we're in Michigan. I know that's not northern Siberia, but we see plenty of cold. However, we don't daily drive our FR-S either. But to your point, there are plenty of people in North America running the HKS supercharger without any problems in climates that are just as cold as the majority of Russia, and definitely colder than France.

But maybe there is something to the oil used and pulley size that is a reason the NA market is not seeing these problems.
I also don't think that cold starts is the main/only reason. After all, most failures happend not in Siberia with - 35C winter temps but in Moscow/St. Petersburg where winters are relatively mild and temperatures below -20C are not that common thing (maybe 10-20 days per winter) and I doubt that cars with failed units faced anything below than that.

But the fact that HKS makes two types of this fluid tells that the temperature factor matters. Higher rotation speed of the V2 is also very important I belive. At 7500 rpm the V2 is already slightly beyond the stated max rotation speed of the unit. So, V2 is "overclocked" from the factory.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #461
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I use the thicker traction oil since I do not winter drive my car, and highly suggest people in cold climates use the thinner stuff.

Also, wondering if any of the failures were the result of using non-HKS traction fluid.

When I start my car on a cool day (say, under 22C, 74F), the supercharger makes a bit of a squealing sound that disappears within 2-3 minutes of driving. It was like that from the very first day I installed the unit and attribute it to the traction oil being cold and possibly too viscous. Never complained about it but maybe better to just use the thinner oil, which I certainly am not willing to fork out another $265 US ($400 CD) for.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #462
Efferalgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I use the thicker traction oil since I do not winter drive my car, and highly suggest people in cold climates use the thinner stuff.

Also, wondering if any of the failures were the result of using non-HKS traction fluid.
Given that the fluid comes with the kit (and about 40% remains after the fill-in) I doubt that anyone used anything different - just why? The guy who now uses Rotrex oil put it into the 2nd unit which he bought and installed instead of the 1st one which failed. And now he also has the 3rd, spare one which he has finally got from HKS UK