follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What Is expected install time for a non mechanically inclined person!

Hi! I am considering buying a super charger or turbo soon and the only thing stopping me is installation. I am not mechanically inclined what so ever and neither is my boyfriend. I couldn't even bearly manage to change to a spare tire.. He paid a shop 2k in Orlando to install his SC but I am trying to avoid that cost if possible. What would expected install time be for someone like me? Would I be able to do it in a weekend? I work m-f and need my car to get to work. Any opinions on an easier install kit to buy?
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Venom1506

Drives: 16 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you barely managed to change a tire i would not try to do a FI install over a weekend.

Ive done some basic bolt on installs myself and i would absolutely shit my pants if i needed to do a FI install in under 3 days.
Venom1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venom1506 For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (09-23-2016), kch (09-22-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I dont think most turbo setups are vegan friendly...

Ok jk Jk

Now, if you're as illiterate in auto mechanics as you say, i would not only strongly recommend against FI for an N/A application, I would also venture that a ill-conceived attempt at such an installation would cost you far more than the cost a professional installation. You stand to screw up more than you can even imagine at the moment.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but take it from someone who works on cars every weekend, has turboed a N/A motor, and had to learn the hard way for everything over the course of several years. ($$$$$$$$$$)

Good luck to you either way
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,640 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Based on your post I wouldn't DIY it. I am a pretty handy and capable guy, starting at a later age than most. However I paid someone to do it. Just consider it part of the cost and do it when you can cover it all financially.

Going forced induction on these cars means reduced reliability and you have to monitor things in case something seems funny. This is how one can avert imminent disaster.

It sounds to me like you need reliability.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Do not attempt a turbo-kit if you are not good with a wrench. I'm not speaking from a time crunch perspective, I'm speaking from the standpoint of diagnosing all of the problems that WILL arise. It's not as simple as following the directions, finishing and you're set. You are going to have to play around with your vacuum lines, find boost leaks, fix exhaust leaks, you may have to fandangle shit around due to fitment, shim your BOV spring to get it light as possible but just heavy enough to close at idle etc etc etc. Owning a turbo car is a lot of work. That's not to say that it will not be possible for you or that you can't learn. This was my first N/A to Turbo rodeo...and I've spent/wasted a shitload of time on things that a shop would have noticed in minutes. If you aren't prepared for this, go with a supercharger...The Phantom Electric one is the easiest to install although it's not really a viable full time FI system. Could be wrong but the Sprintex kit seems to be the next easiest installation, but you don't want the Sprintex kit.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
So I just read the spare tire thing. Definitely don't attempt to DIY, as others have said you stand more to lose than gain by doing so.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Well considering the know track record of ill considered decisions I think everybody saying "don't do it" is wasting their breath. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110690

Just for shits and giggles though I will throw my vote in with the don't do it crowd. Not only the install but all the other aspects of maintaining and troubleshooting a FI system will be significant.

What tune are you going to run?
What header and exhaust are you using to compliment the FI?
Depending on what your HP plans are what considerations have you given to snapping axles and other components?
Are you getting an oil cooler with the kit or separate?
What are your mounting plans for the intercooler grill in or out?
Summerwolf (09-22-2016), Thorpedo (09-23-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
looks like ramen this month Vegangirl..better shell out that money
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NyC Zn6 For This Useful Post:
Amputechture (09-21-2016), mulekr1 (09-22-2016), Thorpedo (09-23-2016), Toyarzee (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
There are multiple reasons you should not do this yourself given the context you've provided:

1. It is very unlikely that the instructions for the install will be SO comprehensive that anyone can understand the procedures needed for install. The instructions will make assumptions that you understand basic components, and may leave out steps depending on the kit you go with.

2. If you don't have experience wrenching, then you likely do not have the tools available (and/or know how to use the tools) to not only perform the installation itself, but correct issues when you over-torque and snap a bolt, or have to pull off a hose-clamp in a very tight area.

3. If you do not understand the function of the parts of a car (for instance, if you don't understand the purpose of a crankcase breather or EVAP system) then you may not understand the reasoning for the steps in the install. A bracket may be provided to help you avoid mounting something in a tight spot. If you don't understand the purpose of this step, then you may inadvertently cause a problem.

4. There will be very simple things that will set you back time-wise. You should only attempt/plan to do things on a specific timeline when you've done them before. If you've never installed FI before, then you can't truly estimate the amount of time needed. I can tell you, i've NEVER entered a project on a car that went completed as planned. There is ALWAYS something unexpected that will go wrong or be more challenging than it seems.

5. If steps 1-4 are a problem for you, then you may be putting your own car at risk in terms of tuning. FI requires that you start with a reliable tune, can troubleshoot issues related to the install and the tune, and datalog properly.

I'm not suggesting that you can't learn all of these things (I did), but I am suggesting that it would be VERY challenging for someone without experience or knowledge to perform a FI install, ESPECIALLY in a specified time period.

Last edited by ajcarson11; 09-21-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: EDIT: One thing to add.. if you NEED this car to go to work, don't attempt FI without extra time - Tuning is time-consuming.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
Amputechture (09-21-2016), ATL BRZ (09-22-2016), kch (09-22-2016), menikmati (09-21-2016), shiumai (09-22-2016), Tcoat (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
copafeel

Drives: Honda 2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This can't be a serious thread...
copafeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #11
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Oh man, was holding back so much... then you show me that thread @Tcoat. I'll just patiently wait for the subsequent part out thread.

In before #totaled
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,641 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Just pay someone to do it yourself. I'd recommend the Cosworth kit as it's has lots of R&D behind it and is quite reliable. The only thing you really have to keep an eye on is the coolant levels (as it's a W2A unit) instead of oil levels. And @Matt@Cosworth is really helpful for anything you need!

But, if you decide to go a different kit, read through everything very well.

To be frank, if you don't feel you can change a tire, don't do it. Just stick with headers, and a NA tune. Or get a WRX.... OR enjoy the car as it was meant to be driven: stock.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #13
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
looks like ramen this month Vegangirl..better shell out that money
But ramen isn't vegan :,(
I'll just pay for install it's clear that installing that is not user friendly lol.. if anyone has shop recommendations or a buddy that can hook me up in lorida let me know 😊
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
But ramen isn't vegan :,(
I'll just pay for install it's clear that installing that is not user friendly lol.. if anyone has shop recommendations or a buddy that can hook me up in lorida let me know ��
What mods do you already have (other than the body kit)? You could start out by swapping the header and some other basic things and build up the skill and knowledge to be able to deal with the FI. As many have said getting it installed is only part of the deal with FI they usually need a fair bit of ongoing work. It isn't a bolt on and forget about it item.
Dream20b (09-23-2016)