follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #29
Elleteeh

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ CWP Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoh View Post
So I tested this morning and there were no problems playing Spotify or charging through the USB.

Works perfectly!

Do you think you can connect your phone via USB again and see if it'll load the pandora app from the unit? I'm trying to see if my unit is defective or the port, which can't even detect my iPhone.
Elleteeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #30
BrunoCr7

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2017 and my head unit doesn't have 2 knobs and Starlink, what's going on here?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
BrunoCr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #31
Zoh

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoCr7 View Post
I have a 2017 and my head unit doesn't have 2 knobs and Starlink, what's going on here?

Canada.

- Zoh

Zoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #32
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoCr7 View Post

So both Canada and the US are using the same unit that they used in the 2016. The downside here is in 2016 Canada used the one that they used in 2015 and the US got a new one.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #33
Cookefam314

Drives: 2016 WRB BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a 2016 BRZ and the Pandora app in the head unit works great thru USB. It charges the phone and lets me keep the Waze GPS app open at the same time I'm listening to Pandora. However, since upgrading to iOS10 this week, the Pandora app at head unit no longer displays my Pandora stations in list view. Anyone else have this issue?

Update: well the Pandora playlist issue resolved itself. It's all working great now with iOS10.

Last edited by Cookefam314; 09-18-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Cookefam314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #34
Elleteeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookefam314 View Post
I have a 2016 BRZ and the Pandora app in the head unit works great thru USB. It charges the phone and lets me keep the Waze GPS app open at the same time I'm listening to Pandora. However, since upgrading to iOS10 this week, the Pandora app at head unit no longer displays my Pandora stations in list view. Anyone else have this issue?

Looks like I'm taking my unit in for service tomorrow then. Wish I could help since I just updated to iOS10 as well, but the USB port doesn't even charge nor detect at the moment. Only way to connect my phone to the unit is BT. I'd hate for them to say they have to take it apart and get a new one already, but this is a new car and I expect the most basic things to work out the gate. Hopefully I'm the only one with this issue on the '17. It'd be nice to finally enjoy what the rest of this unit offers from Starlink if it can detect my iPhone and actually use the pandora app straight from the unit itself.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #35
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleteeh View Post
Do you think you can connect your phone via USB again and see if it'll load the pandora app from the unit? I'm trying to see if my unit is defective or the port, which can't even detect my iPhone.
So I tried today and I was able to charge my phone through the USB port. My phone wouldn't allow playing music that way though. It did load pandora, but I think it was still over bluetooth.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jakinit For This Useful Post:
Elleteeh (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #36
Elleteeh

All right, so I think I can finally give a proper review of the '17 stock radio unit now that I brought it in today and got the USB port fixed. It turns out when they installed my illumination kit they forgot to connect the wiring from the USB port back. Simple fix.

Now as far as the unit itself, I can finally charge directly from there and also load up the Pandora app on the unit as well. The album covers along with the songs do actually update from one song to the next. Everything is instantaneous with my song transitions, there's no delay whatsoever.

As for the Starlink app, I do not see anything worth mentioning. In fact, I don't even see its purpose. The weather, news, calendar, etc can be viewed on any phone, why would anyone care to see it on the unit?

Anyways, for those on the fence about the stock unit being defective or useless, I can say that it is fluid and does what I think most people would want: charge & play music (with actual on screen album/artist/music updates immediately). Hope this helps clear some concerns. By the way, my unit is CA645UL.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:35 AM   #37
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieSynchro View Post
As I weigh the option of buying a used BRZ and updating the stereo with new Apple Carplay model and a backup camera vs. putting out a little extra cash for the improvements in the 2017 model, I’m wondering how the revised multimedia touch screen system is working.

I’ve read such bad reviews of the 2013-16 units, that I’m a bit skeptical about the 2017 version.

What I really want is a backup camera, to stream audio from my phone, and to be able to mirror my smartphone screen to the touchscreen so I can use Google Maps or whatever. I DO NOT want to subscribe to Subaru’s Starlink service and pay a continuing additional fee.

Can you do that without subscribing to Subaru’s service?

On Subaru’s 2017 BRZ website it says that with the MySubaru app you can access your car remotely, access lights, horn, locks etc. Does anyone know if this works without a subscription?

Can the lucky owners of the 2017s give us a review?
Backup camera works fine, nice and clear, grid lines are on point, but it has that weird fish bowl effect. I had an aftermarket backup camera in my Elantra that looked better without the fish bowl effect.

There's no option to mirror your smartphone screen as far as I can tell. Although I haven't messed around with it much, I doubt there's a feature like this. Starlink is slow and laggy. There's only a few apps with the weather one being the only useful one. The news app is useless, the screen has a pop up that blocks you from reading anything and grays out everything so you can't select anything while driving. The music app can read from the music stored on your cell phone and displays track information and album art, but again, it's slow and skips sometimes if there's a bad wireless connection and very cumbersome to navigate your songs. I'd rather use the music app on my cell phone and stream it through bluetooth. Bluetooth streaming from my cell phone works great, it also reads the track information, but it doesn't display album art. Forget about watching videos on your cell phone through bluetooth, there's a noticeable audio lag which causes the video and audio to be out of synch by 1-2 seconds.

Overall, the 2017 US Head unit is terrible. I'm looking to switch it to an android based one, as soon as I find one that's compatible with the trim and can retain the steering wheel controls. On paper, the features sound great, but the way it's implemented, it's not worth it. It's too slow and laggy all around to be of any use and it's much faster just to use your cell phone. I have my android phone mounted using the CD slot and magnetic mount. It'll do for now until the HU is replaced.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akuma147 For This Useful Post:
SubieSyncro (10-03-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #38
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They updated Starlink to include navigation, but it's a subscription. Complete horseshit.

The unit is very laggy, but I was impressed that they included as much as they did in the way of allowing you to adjust/save custom EQs and change the vocal imaging.

I'm not sure if it is just my HU is defective or if I have a bad speaker - but certain frequencies cause a faint bit of distortion to come through the speakers on the dash, regardless of volume or EQ settings. It sounds like brief intermittent static. Anyone else with a '17 BRZ notice this?
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Zaku (12-05-2016)
Old 04-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #39
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
I thought I'd add some comments to this old thread in case people are still searching for info on the 2017 head unit and stereo. I've owned a new BRZ three weeks and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by the sound and HU. I'm not sure why they've garnered so much negativity.

In the 6 weeks between ordering and receiving my car, I had lots of time to read. With all the bad press on the forums about this HU, was certain I would hate it--so certain that I bought the Canadian one-piece dash before my car arrived, thinking I would be replacing the HU first thing. After a few weeks with this car system, and some careful changes to its EQ settings, I'm really not displeased with how it sounds. Bluetooth audio sucks--thin, edgy--but corded iPhone files sound pretty good. And I'm a home audio nut with high-end tubes and vinyl as my reference. Sound is extremely important to me--more important than cars, actually, if you compare the amounts I've spent on audio gear relative to cars.

The HU functionality has been flawless so far. My iPhone 6 connects and plays, via Bluetooth or USB, with no issues. In fact, Bluetooth connects with my phone in my pocket, and will start playing music from my phone automatically, picking up wherever it left off. But again, the sound is much better wired.

One thing I love is that I can put my phone's entire music catalog on shuffle (that's like 30 albums) and the system boots right up to it when I start the car, picking up where it left off. It's plug and play, and I effectively have a radio station that delivers nothing but what I like for many hours on end with no fuss. When I use Google maps, voice directions pipe right in through the speakers if I'm listening to the phone. I installed the BRZ ProClip mount for my phone, which is perfect for me. The phone sits right there next to the HU screen, should I ever want to look at it.

SiriusXM works just fine, though I don't especially like it, and it sounds quite a bit worse than my corded iPhone. I haven't tried Pandora or the other apps, but AM and FM are quite good. CDs sound OK, though oddly not as good as my phone, which is surprising because they are much higher resolution.

Now, I might still replace everything--get an Australian Kenwood 200 mm HU that mirrors my phone, and buy the OEM Audio-Plus package--because that's just how I am. But I don't feel much urgency to do so, at least not for now. I could live with this stereo, and that is a big surprise. All in all, not a bad little car system if you wire your phone and adjust the EQ (and especially the fader, sending the vocal image backward around a foot, which creates a much greater sense of space and depth to the instruments). The sound will harden at higher volumes, a mid-fi problem, but it's perfectly adequate at reasonable db levels.

Anyway, wanted to give some props to this beleaguered system. It's not the greatest but, to my ears, it certainly doesn't suck, either. Surprise, surprise.

Last edited by willimusk; 04-26-2017 at 04:19 PM.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #40
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieSyncro View Post
As I weigh the option of buying a used BRZ and updating the stereo with new Apple Carplay model and a backup camera vs. putting out a little extra cash for the improvements in the 2017 model, I’m wondering how the revised multimedia touch screen system is working.

I’ve read such bad reviews of the 2013-16 units, that I’m a bit skeptical about the 2017 version.

What I really want is a backup camera, to stream audio from my phone, and to be able to mirror my smartphone screen to the touchscreen so I can use Google Maps or whatever. I DO NOT want to subscribe to Subaru’s Starlink service and pay a continuing additional fee.

Can you do that without subscribing to Subaru’s service?

On Subaru’s 2017 BRZ website it says that with the MySubaru app you can access your car remotely, access lights, horn, locks etc. Does anyone know if this works without a subscription?

Can the lucky owners of the 2017s give us a review?
Radio does a lot of stuff and is free. I like it a lot. My car was around $32k dollars with tax. I could give a crap about $30 dollars or whatever the cost is for subscriptions. I might have bought two subscriptions, or just one and the one you are talking about is free. Who knows, more importantly... who cares? Can't be ghetto after you buy a car for that much. whatever it costs it costs.

The Magellan app works fine. I know I paid for that one for three years. Pandora, I pay for a year for it normally (before I had a BRZ), so no ads and higher bitrate stream is a nice plus. it is quite clear and works perfectly. The voice commands are sluggish but accurate. Taking me a while to get used to them. Backup camera is very clear. I have no idea about my subaru app. Hm. I have the Aha, Pandora and Starlink apps working on my phone. Dont read bad reviews, it works exactly as they are supposed to. People are retarded. I use a iphone6 with an apple wire connected to it. I said yes to everything they had and downloaded everything and subscribed to everything. Why not? it is 1/1000th the price of the car.

Apple carplay of course would be a lot better. Personally, I keep head units OEM and then go and buy:

http://oemaudioplus.com/subaru/brz-2/

something like that. I think then the people won't break your window to steal your radio as it is stock and worthless.

I mean, the cool part of the is driving it. It is awesome to drive and has so much style when you see one in person.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #41
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
So here's the one thing that gives me the most grief. and please try this for yourselves.

I have an iphone 7 and regularly listen to music via Pandora, which means I have to be plugged in. Which isn't a huge inconvenience. But what is...

When I get in my car for a short trip and don't want to go through all the hassle. Is that the HU defaults to what you were last using.. so while its 'trying to connect to my phone/pandora' to the phone, the source button on the head unit is disabled so you can't select FM until the HU gives up on trying to connect.

I recently discovered that the only way around this is to hit the source button on the steering wheel and wait (what feels like longer than it should) for it to switch the head unit to BT audio and then you can use the HU source button to get to FM...

And I know what you are thinking why not just use the steering wheel button to get to FM... Well you have to click though BT audio<AUX<AM1<AM2<then you get FM1, but as laggy as the HU is I miss FM1 every time...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #42
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
And I know what you are thinking why not just use the steering wheel button to get to FM... Well you have to click though BT audio<AUX<AM1<AM2<then you get FM1, but as laggy as the HU is I miss FM1 every time...
Scrolling through the sources with the steering button is a PITA, I agree, and I wish I could edit the scroll selections to just the sources I care about.

One thing you could do for your quick-trip issue, of course, is to set to FM1 before you leave the car by pressing the source button on the HU and going right to it. It'd take 2 secs and set you up for next time. A sub-optimal work-around, but still.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willimusk For This Useful Post:
imnotsureaboutbrz (04-26-2017)