follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I use Meguiar's D110 Shampoo Plus (buy it in bulk 1 gallon at a time), two bucket (chemical guys bucket with grit guard) and two different mitts,
Water magnets for drying.

For the front bumper and lower panels I use a green chenile mitt, it has a lot of cleaning power for removing bugs and is fairly soft.

And for the rest of the body paint I use a Microfiber wash mitt, which has less cleaning power, but is very soft and gentle on the paint, almost too gentle sometimes!:

For waxing I use Meguiar's ultimate wax liquid on the body paint and wheels. Sometimes I also use the spray wax.

For wheel cleaning I use acid-free wheel and tire cleaner and an assortment of brushes. For rubber and trim dressing and interior I use 303 aerospace.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #16
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,642 Times in 2,958 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I use the AMMO NYC Paint Regimen kit, which includes the foam cleanser, ammo hydrate, and ammo skin (a sealant) every couple months. I also put a layer of Ammo Reflex on every 6 months or so. To make it look shiny, I use Meguiar's Gold carnauba wax and endurance tire shine. I've only used a clay bar once on my car. Didn't really need it honestly. The AMMO stuff is totally worth the price, too.

https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-paint-regimen-kit/

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
Gello

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've always used Maguiars Gold on all my cars I've had over years. Just last week I noticed new product by them. The Ultimate Maguiars wash and wax. So far so good, suds up great! and nice shine too. Not sure if wax part actually works but I'm too lazy wax anyways lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Gello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #18
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
OK, you guys inspired me. I just spent three quality hours with my car, two buckets, two crappy sponges, Maguire's wheel cleaner, Maguire's car wash concentrate, and Maguire's Carnuba/Polymer blend stuff. Now I remember why I hate washing and waxing my cars so much, and why I kind of just stopped a while ago (years).

I'm too compulsive. Every little chip (pinhead size and smaller) bums me out. Washing the car, for me, is an exercise in total depression. "Crap.. where did I get THAT chip?" "I don't remember this many little paint imperfections in my {any previous German car}..." "I wonder how much it would cost to have the whole car repainted..." .. and on and on in my head. I HATE washing my car. I'd rather replace rusted rotors and calipers than wash my car.

With my newish-to-me 2013 FR-S (owned for 11 months), I decided to try and turn over a new leaf and keep it clean. My previous love (E36 325i) got washed and waxed once after I bought it used, and that was about it for the next 180K miles. Obviously, here in central NY, it eventually rusted out, but it took 10 years and that many miles. Knowing (OK, assuming) that the FR-S would probably not hold up to salt quite as well, I vowed to be a better person. Knowing me, that meant I'd take it to a drive-thru carwash every month or two. I was pretty good about it over the winter. Today was its first wash since May, and its first hand wash/wax ever.

I hated every minute of it. Pretty sure it'll be its last. Sigh.

How do you guys enjoy washing, waxing, and detailing a car when you have to look at all those chips, especially up front? This car's paint must be made out of balsa wood dust.
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #19
Terruko

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
OK, you guys inspired me. I just spent three quality hours with my car, two buckets, two crappy sponges, Maguire's wheel cleaner, Maguire's car wash concentrate, and Maguire's Carnuba/Polymer blend stuff. Now I remember why I hate washing and waxing my cars so much, and why I kind of just stopped a while ago (years).

I'm too compulsive. Every little chip (pinhead size and smaller) bums me out. Washing the car, for me, is an exercise in total depression. "Crap.. where did I get THAT chip?" "I don't remember this many little paint imperfections in my {any previous German car}..." "I wonder how much it would cost to have the whole car repainted..." .. and on and on in my head. I HATE washing my car. I'd rather replace rusted rotors and calipers than wash my car.

With my newish-to-me 2013 FR-S (owned for 11 months), I decided to try and turn over a new leaf and keep it clean. My previous love (E36 325i) got washed and waxed once after I bought it used, and that was about it for the next 180K miles. Obviously, here in central NY, it eventually rusted out, but it took 10 years and that many miles. Knowing (OK, assuming) that the FR-S would probably not hold up to salt quite as well, I vowed to be a better person. Knowing me, that meant I'd take it to a drive-thru carwash every month or two. I was pretty good about it over the winter. Today was its first wash since May, and its first hand wash/wax ever.

How do you guys enjoy washing, waxing, and detailing a car when you have to look at all those chips, especially up front? This car's paint must be made out of balsa wood dust.

My car has no imperfections, it's beautiful.
Terruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #20
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,351 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

MuseChaser,

The very first thing I did with the car is spend the weekend polishing, waxing and detailing the car. It sat for a year on a lot and it was a mess...Shit happens, I don't look at all the chips. They can't be seen from 2' away!

More important, to me, is that this car is polished to a mirror like shine. You really can't see a lot of dirt, dust and grime if you have a polished paint job. Maintenance is pretty easy if you do the clear coat some justice.

Cheese doesn't shine!
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #21
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terruko View Post
My car has no imperfections, it's beautiful.
Nice. I, on the other hand, drive mine... a lot.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #22
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
..... I don't look at all the chips. They can't be seen from 2' away!...
That's the thing. You're right, but I can't stop seeing them once I see them up close. It's better if I just never look at'em in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Yal (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 10:11 PM   #23
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,351 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
That's the thing. You're right, but I can't stop seeing them once I see them up close. It's better if I just never look at'em in the first place.
Think about it, any car that's used daily is scarred, it's expected.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:17 AM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,025 Times in 1,865 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gello View Post
I've always used Maguiars Gold on all my cars I've had over years. Just last week I noticed new product by them. The Ultimate Maguiars wash and wax. So far so good, suds up great! and nice shine too. Not sure if wax part actually works but I'm too lazy wax anyways lol

I used that for a bit. Great scent. The trick to it is to lather it on, wait for it to semi dry, then rinse off. I never used it on my twin, but on my Yaris sedan, I found that every third panel, you rinse off the first, is a good amount of curing. I wouldn't substitute actual waxing with it tho, more like a wax maintainer.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #25
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Two bucket method for me using CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo. Then to dry off the car I use Optimum Instant Detailer with a waffle weave towel.
My car has Optimum Opticoat Pro so washing my car is so effortless since the water sheets off the car. Opticoat Pro the best $400.00 I spent.
No need to wax although I do once every few months with Optimum Spray wax.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #26
radroach

@Gello I hate meguiar's ultimate wash and wax. It's been around for years, tried it on my BRZ once. It leaves a waxy film all over everything, degrades black plastic and rubber IMO. Much prefer deep crystal soap, gold class wash, or shampoo plus.

@MuseChaser You can fix the rock chips on your bumper using a Dr. Colorchip kit. Last year I'd spend hours on saturday mornings with a small paintbrush fixing the rock chips on my bumper. For larger paint chips I just put a small sticker / decal over it.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #27
radroach

@weederr33

> He doesn't own the $50 Wheel Regimen Kit

> He doesn't use $60 Ammo Creme wax

why even try pleb :P
Old 09-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #28
Gello

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@radroach first time I seen it, oh well..btw did you wipe car down with micro towel after rinse like direction say? I Did notice film but went away as was drying left nice shine. I'll have keep eye on rear plastic now thanks for heads up. Just Be safe Im just got back to gold

Gello is offline   Reply With Quote