follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #575
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@MRS-Colin I sent you a PM
Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #576
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@Zero pm sent
Old 08-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #577
djjd42

Drives: Whiteout MT now, Alfas in the past.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Without intention of offense to anyone involved, and while I am certain that much hard work is underway by good folks, the people both in this thread and elsewhere need to be very honest with themselves regarding the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
we are in good hands for a simple cost effective solution, its just going to take a little research and ground work, a product I'm sure will be available soon.
The exact same thing was said over a year ago.

The "hard parts" (aka the easy part) have been done for over a year and since then we've been waiting week by week for the "soft parts" (aka the actual hard part) which have always been just around the corner.

I'm still working on setting aside the full project budget in advance (so as to be able to make untainted decisions when the time finally comes) and, as such, these delays don't yet impact me, but the unavoidable fact is that, in terms of a combined kit of hardware and software, no externally-visible progress has been made in over a year. Folks interested in just hard parts and custom engine control are already running their swaps, and have been for even longer than this kit has been just around the corner.

I work in software. Not in the embedded space, mind you, but the product and project management aspects translate: No material, externally-visible progress equals infinite slippage equals stalled project. For a year? Dead project.

Of course, now that I've said it, they'll announce completion, start shipping, and I'll wish I'd said it earlier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djjd42 For This Useful Post:
Spartarus (08-25-2016), Thorpedo (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #578
WRBrzRX

Drives: runs&drives
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I doubt anyone thinks it will be done over the weekend.

This has been one of the most exciting threads on the forum and I sincerely appreciate the updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to WRBrzRX For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #579
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjd42 View Post
Without intention of offense to anyone involved, and while I am certain that much hard work is underway by good folks, the people both in this thread and elsewhere need to be very honest with themselves regarding the following:

The "hard parts" (aka the easy part) have been done for over a year and since then we've been waiting week by week for the "soft parts" (aka the actual hard part) which have always been just around the corner.

I'm still working on setting aside the full project budget in advance (so as to be able to make untainted decisions when the time finally comes) and, as such, these delays don't yet impact me, but the unavoidable fact is that, in terms of a combined kit of hardware and software, no externally-visible progress has been made in over a year. Folks interested in just hard parts and custom engine control are already running their swaps, and have been for even longer than this kit has been just around the corner.

I work in software. Not in the embedded space, mind you, but the product and project management aspects translate: No material, externally-visible progress equals infinite slippage equals stalled project. For a year? Dead project.

Of course, now that I've said it, they'll announce completion, start shipping, and I'll wish I'd said it earlier.
I can email you the code that works just about everything in the vehicle with a GenIV LS on the 140 modules I have in my stock room if you'd like to see

Only been working on this project for a month here. Just shipped Rick some interface cabling to RE the E40 and make sure I can provide a product for those PCMs.
djjd42 (08-25-2016), WRBrzRX (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #580
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
@Zero pm sent
I did not get the PM
Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #581
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:

The year ago quote was for a product through a company in Australia which took......drum roll please......yes a year to get my hands on finally, many promises made, video of a working product, hopes were high, but delay after delay, with the first itteration being a dud followed by the second unit after more months back and forth through Australia being a flop as well.....although I could of spent money on a stand alone and called it a day it didnt make sense as I have huge amounts of money spent on this project and didnt want to spend even more money 4k and up of which I couldnt justify nor sanely afford anymore,..........I could very well just shut up and not share my info and trials and tribulations but i figured its best to help the community........its been extremily frustrating believe me,.......first Vorshlag telling me can-bus intigration is a done deal,.....then this company in Australia with an actual video proven product,.....which by the way does not work for my choosen engine and PCM......So now its on too Colin and MRS electronics......which by far seems most qualified and resourced best to build a product for the general masses with out spending thousands or hiringna soft ware engineer to make a bespoke system unique to my car........Im not a rich guy, just your average Joe....MRS Electronics and Colin are commited to have a product not only for us but other platforms specifically the ND Miata.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Calum (08-25-2016), djjd42 (08-25-2016), WRBrzRX (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #582
djjd42

Drives: Whiteout MT now, Alfas in the past.
No doubt. I'm sure you are doing great work. I'm glad there is internal progress, even if it is not yet material to the customer. That said, and to play devil's advocate from a product/project management perspective:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-Colin View Post
I can email you the code that works just about everything in the vehicle with a GenIV LS on the 140 modules I have in my stock room if you'd like to see
In the software world, we call that "It works on my machine." and it is frowned upon. Say it often enough for long enough and it gets you fired.

Quote:
Only been working on this project for a month here.
So... It was off the rails for approximately eleven months.

I can do this all day. The reason I can do this all day is because, from an external perspective, there has been no material progress for a year. That's not meant to offend, or to be critical of current efforts. Heck, its something I try to remind myself of whenever giving progress updates. Make them material. Make them relevant to stakeholders and end customers. If you can't: your progress is not their progress.

To be brutally f'ing clear: I've heard more hints of progress in the last couple of days (between your replies and things like the most recent Vorshlag YouTube update) than in the previous many months, and this is great. I'm just playing devil's advocate. Keep up the work.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #583
MRS-Colin

Quote:
No doubt. I'm sure you are doing great work. I'm glad there is internal progress, even if it is not yet material to the customer. That said, and to play devil's advocate from a product/project management perspective:

In the software world, we call that "It works on my machine." and it is frowned upon. Say it often enough for long enough and it gets you fired.

So... It was off the rails for approximately eleven months.

I can do this all day. The reason I can do this all day is because, from an external perspective, there has been no material progress for a year. That's not meant to offend, or to be critical of current efforts. Heck, its something I try to remind myself of whenever giving progress updates. Make them material. Make them relevant to stakeholders and end customers. If you can't: your progress is not their progress.

To be brutally f'ing clear: I've heard more hints of progress in the last couple of days (between your replies and things like the most recent Vorshlag YouTube update) than in the previous many months, and this is great. I'm just playing devil's advocate. Keep up the work.
I've been trying to publish media to show progress, but with Facebook's algorithms and the barriers to do business on forums I can't say much in detail and have people see it.

I guess the best way to put it is that I can sell anyone a module that will work all the main systems of the vehicle for anyone using a GenIV PCM today. I don't want to as I've not have extensive testing on vehicle and do NOT want to sell a product that isn't fool proof. If someone was to loan me their car for a week or so to drive and test I could accelerate progress. Testing an embedded device without the target to embed in is near impossible.

With that being said, I'm fairly confident any key start 86 platform car I have everything I need. Push button start is different and will require external signals from what I've seen so far.
djjd42 (08-25-2016), WRBrzRX (08-26-2016), Zer0 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #584
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
If someone was to loan me their car for a week or so to drive and test I could accelerate progress.
Are you looking for an LS swapped car specifically, or will an FA20 powered, keystart FR-S/BRZ do the job?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #585
SleepingPanda

Drives: 2016 BRZ Hyper.Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Great. I have push button start. I'm just gonna off myself. Lol
Old 08-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #586
MRS-Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingPanda View Post
Great. I have push button start. I'm just gonna off myself. Lol
No need just yet
SleepingPanda (08-25-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 03:16 AM   #587
adprokid

Drives: ZN6 / GDB-G
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It seems that Vorshlag doest't want to become a vendor, yet their swap kit and getting the best possible exposure on the biggest FRS forum, this thread should be deleted.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:18 AM   #588
Zer0

I don't think Vorshlag posted this. It was started by a member of this forum to document his swap which is engineered by Vorshlag using his car. I think everyone has learned a lot on this thread.This thread is the reason I bought a FR-S and joined this forum.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zer0 For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (08-28-2016), Draco_PR23 (08-29-2016), Spartarus (08-28-2016), WRBrzRX (08-28-2016)

Closed Thread