follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #43
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Awesome to see a 14 year old not expecting, but rather working for what he wants. It's refreshing, especially since I have a son 3 years younger than you. I hope he has the same type of ethic. Go nuts man!

You only live once. Own that shit. Do what you love.
FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #44
ithinkimcrashing_

Drives: 91' 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
Awesome to see a 14 year old not expecting, but rather working for what he wants. It's refreshing, especially since I have a son 3 years younger than you. I hope he has the same type of ethic. Go nuts man!

You only live once. Own that shit. Do what you love.
Thanks a bunch man. I was shown to work for what I want since I was a little kid. Especially since we never just "had money laying around" for random things, but it never stopped me from wanting to go crazy with my dreams.
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ithinkimcrashing_ For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #45
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimcrashing_ View Post
Thanks a bunch man. I was shown to work for what I want since I was a little kid. Especially since we never just "had money laying around" for random things, but it never stopped me from wanting to go crazy with my dreams.
I got bit by the car bug at 4 years old. By 5 my Dad would show me off, showing people that I could name make/model of cars as they went down by us on the street. I have no idea how I learned it.

My defining car moment though...Not sure I should put the year, but oh well. It was 1985, I was 7, and my grandpa took me to a Toyota dealership. They all went to the back to do something, who knows what. I was left in the showroom to "not touch anything."

In the middle of the showroom, there was this car under a car cover for whatever reason. I reached down, pulled up the car cover and fell instantly, permanently, in love, not only with cars, but this one car specifically. All I saw of it was the bright red (I told my grandpa it was Ferrari Rosso Corsa (again, no idea how I knew what that meant)), colored side air intake from a Toyota MR2 (had never seen one, new for 1985). Instantly decided I had to have one.

It took me 16 years, but I ended up getting an '88 supercharged MR2 and fulfilled that dream. I still miss that car, but luckily the FR-S reminds me of it some.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #46
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
I got bit by the car bug at 4 years old. By 5 my Dad would show me off, showing people that I could name make/model of cars as they went down by us on the street. I have no idea how I learned it.

My defining car moment though...Not sure I should put the year, but oh well. It was 1985, I was 7, and my grandpa took me to a Toyota dealership. They all went to the back to do something, who knows what. I was left in the showroom to "not touch anything."

In the middle of the showroom, there was this car under a car cover for whatever reason. I reached down, pulled up the car cover and fell instantly, permanently, in love, not only with cars, but this one car specifically. All I saw of it was the bright red (I told my grandpa it was Ferrari Rosso Corsa (again, no idea how I knew what that meant)), colored side air intake from a Toyota MR2 (had never seen one, new for 1985). Instantly decided I had to have one.

It took me 16 years, but I ended up getting an '88 supercharged MR2 and fulfilled that dream. I still miss that car, but luckily the FR-S reminds me of it some.
Wow the bug bit you real early! Too bad you had to get rid of it. The MR2's to me are like the holy grail of toyota sports cars (aside from the supra obviously). For me it hit me when I was 11, all because of this one picture of a Lambo in front of the eiffel tower. And it just had a snowball effect on me. But this story man, I personally love to hear the stories of others and how they got turned into the car enthusiasts that they are today. Especially since I have no car friends DX.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #47
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Wow the bug bit you real early! Too bad you had to get rid of it. The MR2's to me are like the holy grail of toyota sports cars (aside from the supra obviously). For me it hit me when I was 11, all because of this one picture of a Lambo in front of the eiffel tower. And it just had a snowball effect on me. But this story man, I personally love to hear the stories of others and how they got turned into the car enthusiasts that they are today. Especially since I have no car friends DX.
Supra's I have a huge admiration for, I love them. But, there are all types of cars for all types of people. I've extensively driven some cars 10x the price of the FR-S, owned an Elise, M3, um, many escape me. But there are some that just speak to your soul.

The FR-S could be resoundingly trounced by an Elise, or an M3, or many others I've either had the pleasure of stealing...er...using, or owned. Some cars just put a grin on your face, and THOSE are the ones you need to stick with. Who cares if it's 0-60 time is a few ticks off, or whatever. It's the enjoyment. Personally, even though there are a lot of parallels with the Elise, I never engaged with the Lotus the way I have the first time I drove the FR-S. Don't know why. By all rights I should love the Lotus way more...And don't get me wrong, it's a ridiculous little go-kart, but just wasn't "it."

Oh, and I'd have my MR2 still, but someone ran a red and I t-boned him with it. I should have taken the money, bought the car back from the insurance company, but I didn't know the prices would take off like they have! I just assumed I'd end up getting another one. Oops.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #48
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Supra's I have a huge admiration for, I love them. But, there are all types of cars for all types of people. I've extensively driven some cars 10x the price of the FR-S, owned an Elise, M3, um, many escape me. But there are some that just speak to your soul.

The FR-S could be resoundingly trounced by an Elise, or an M3, or many others I've either had the pleasure of stealing...er...using, or owned. Some cars just put a grin on your face, and THOSE are the ones you need to stick with. Who cares if it's 0-60 time is a few ticks off, or whatever. It's the enjoyment. Personally, even though there are a lot of parallels with the Elise, I never engaged with the Lotus the way I have the first time I drove the FR-S. Don't know why. By all rights I should love the Lotus way more...And don't get me wrong, it's a ridiculous little go-kart, but just wasn't "it."

Oh, and I'd have my MR2 still, but someone ran a red and I t-boned him with it. I should have taken the money, bought the car back from the insurance company, but I didn't know the prices would take off like they have! I just assumed I'd end up getting another one. Oops.
ahhhh the supra (patiently waits for 2017 release)

Ya of course man, who cares how much the car costs, or its top speed, 0-60 blah blah blah, if you love the car you won't care about all that.

Ant I get what you mean about the lotus, I've looked at 370z's, 350z's, 240sx's, and I love them all but every time I look at them, the 86 has always just been the car for me I guess. Might be weird considering that I haven't even driven it, I love everything about it.

And its great that you still have your MR2, but must be a bit sad to see it sitting there wrecked... Is it beyond repair?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #49
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
ahhhh the supra (patiently waits for 2017 release)

Ya of course man, who cares how much the car costs, or its top speed, 0-60 blah blah blah, if you love the car you won't care about all that.

Ant I get what you mean about the lotus, I've looked at 370z's, 350z's, 240sx's, and I love them all but every time I look at them, the 86 has always just been the car for me I guess. Might be weird considering that I haven't even driven it, I love everything about it.

And its great that you still have your MR2, but must be a bit sad to see it sitting there wrecked... Is it beyond repair?
Oh no, I don't have it. The insurance company considered it totaled, gave me what they decided it was worth at the time. Which was hardly anything. And they scrapped it probably. What I should have done, was take that money, use some to buy the "totaled" car back from them, and fixed it slowly. I think I could have done it without running into frame damage, or that sort of thing.

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #50
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Oh no, I don't have it. The insurance company considered it totaled, gave me what they decided it was worth at the time. Which was hardly anything. And they scrapped it probably. What I should have done, was take that money, use some to buy the "totaled" car back from them, and fixed it slowly. I think I could have done it without running into frame damage, or that sort of thing.

Oh well, live and learn.
Oh dang man, misunderstood, but true, live an learn, must have been a hard day
FNCrazy (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #51
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Oh dang man, misunderstood, but true, live an learn, must have been a hard day
It was, although at the time I just assumed I'd get another one. Just has always been a "one of these days" things. Now, I'm probably too big, and the FR-S makes me grin, so unless I just happen to find some sweet, stock, un-modified one for a decent price (yeah right), I'm done with the MR2 I think.

I still look occasionally. But I haven't since I got the FR-S
Old 08-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #52
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ya ive thought about doing that, but if I were to do that it would be in the future, because I do plan on moving out of the states maybe 2 years after high school, depending on if I get any scholarships or not. And I'm not looking to make a track car(such as a miata as you stated) because this would still have a very high possibility of being a daily for my dad till my senior year. I'm not looking at making a track car or full on project car yet. Oh ya, I do have a savings I'm putting money into right now, and I've found a good deal on one (at least I think) so in total, it wouldn't be taking up half of what I'm making at this time. For welding wise, you do have a point we have a welder that my dad had to use for his exhaust, but I guess I could practice on like regular sheet metal and stuff.

And no not in the slightest, my parents are not rich nor am I, if i was, I wouldn't be working, nor would this thread be here. And if you didn't see, this is all funded by me. The only thing they are paying for is gas...
Just to give you an idea, if you had $10k in your IRA at age 18 and let it sit at 7% interest, by 65 you would have $240k. If you had $20k at 18 then $480k.

If you waited to put that same $10k in your account until age 25 then you would have $150k at 65. If you waited until 30 then $107k. If 35 then $75k. If you invested $60k by 35 then at 65 you would have $457k. Still not as much as the $480k from investing a third as much money, but starting younger.

Buy the BRZ now, or buy the Ferrari later...
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:15 AM   #53
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
Just to give you an idea, if you had $10k in your IRA at age 18 and let it sit at 7% interest, by 65 you would have $240k. If you had $20k at 18 then $480k.

If you waited to put that same $10k in your account until age 25 then you would have $150k at 65. If you waited until 30 then $107k. If 35 then $75k. If you invested $60k by 35 then at 65 you would have $457k. Still not as much as the $480k from investing a third as much money, but starting younger.

Ah, someone smart with their money!

I learned a TON from these guys about investing. Some advice you need to pay for, but there is a ton of good free info: http://www.fool.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to FNCrazy For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #54
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post

tru, I guess I could do that once I'm 18.... Alright give me your .02 on this

Found a 13' frs
15k with 50k miles
Looks perfect besides the normal wear and tear

Pull the trigger on it next month (down payment) and save just about 35% of what I have left over after down-payment/monthly payments, and as you say once I'm 18, put all of that in an IRA?
Yes or no?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #55
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
No.

Read about investment vehicles first. No, no ignition keys in them. IRA as an investment vehicle at your age? I dunno...Personally I would do something different, but tons of different advice, so just read. Read like you do about cars.

One thing to consider is your first house. I can't remember now, I'm too old. I had an investment vehicle (maybe a simple IRA?) that allowed you, when buying your first home, to remove the money penalty free the one time for use as a down payment. That's a big deal. To me anyway. Yes, long term, it hurts your overall portfolio...in a way? Depends on how you look at houses I suppose.

15k with 50k miles? Not an expert, but seems a little on the high side, but it could be very area dependent.

Last edited by FNCrazy; 08-20-2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Maybe a Roth IRA? I don't know. I think I have Alzheimers
Old 08-20-2016, 12:56 AM   #56
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
No.

Read about investment vehicles first. No, no ignition keys in them. IRA at your age? I dunno...Personally I would do something different, but tons of different advice, so just read. Read like you do about cars.

15k with 50k miles? Not an expert, but seems a little on the high side, but it could be very area dependent.
ya IRA right now I don't think I can get, but i'll look it up, and the price, for 15k and 50k miles, that's almost 1/2 of the original MSRP (PS: its an AT, since no one in my family knows how to drive MT anymore or just doesn't feel comfortable with it). The only one I ever saw go lower was an 80k mile one with a salvaged title, it was 14k.

I don't see it all that bad because of the prices i've seen for other cars, I've seen a normal sedan go for 10k (Base model corolla 06' i think) with 150k miles... car was gone within a month...

But you are right, I should do more research on Investment/savings