follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #57
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
I have felt and heard some grumbly vibration in the back until the car is thoroughly warmed up, more noticeable when pulling around a sharp corner from a stop.
You are describing the function of a healthy limited slip differential. You want that.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 08-13-2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Too many capitalized words in this thread already.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
pfaffendorn (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #58
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
It's a miracle that people managed to keep cars on the roads in the 60's and 70's.

I've come closer to spinning my FR-S with all the aids on than with them all off. It's now always push and hold for street, pedal dance for autocross.
How would you know?
If the aids are on, you almost CANT spin it.
If the aids are off, how do you know you "were close" if you didn't actually spin it?

My TCS has saved my ass more than once on the street, but don't recall a single time it has gotten me in trouble.

Perfect example:
I was getting on the highway on a cloverleaf that I was not that familiar with, but there was no one in front or behind me.
So I am taking the curve at about absolute max traction.
JUST AS the clover leaf joins the highway there is a sudden decreasing radius 'jolt' to the right.
I immediately think 'SHIT' as I see other cars in the next lane over on the highway.
I had no choice but to try to adjust to the abrupt decreasing radius when the TCS & VSC lights blink furiously and I end up straight in the merge lane (where I was supposed to be).
I am certain that without the TCS stepping in, I would have spun it into that next lane over.

The only times I have had the car nearly stop when trying to jump out into fast moving traffic was when the car hit a small bump (assuming briefly lifting one wheel) and you can feel the car hesitate for a second.
I am not sure if that was the VSC or the electronic DIFF that caused that.
If it was the E-Diff, then disabling VSC & TC with the 3 second button press will NOT change the behavior.

Another thing to keep in mind for all of you who think "I can drive better than the nannies can":
So the HUMAN DRIVER can apply just one of the 4 brakes if they want to? No?
Didn't think so, but the nannies CAN.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #59
CCJ

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
How would you know?
If the aids are on, you almost CANT spin it.
If the aids are off, how do you know you "were close" if you didn't actually spin it?

My TCS has saved my ass more than once on the street, but don't recall a single time it has gotten me in trouble.

Perfect example:
I was getting on the highway on a cloverleaf that I was not that familiar with, but there was no one in front or behind me.
So I am taking the curve at about absolute max traction.
JUST AS the clover leaf joins the highway there is a sudden decreasing radius 'jolt' to the right.
I immediately think 'SHIT' as I see other cars in the next lane over on the highway.
I had no choice but to try to adjust to the abrupt decreasing radius when the TCS & VSC lights blink furiously and I end up straight in the merge lane (where I was supposed to be).
I am certain that without the TCS stepping in, I would have spun it into that next lane over.

The only times I have had the car nearly stop when trying to jump out into fast moving traffic was when the car hit a small bump (assuming briefly lifting one wheel) and you can feel the car hesitate for a second.
I am not sure if that was the VSC or the electronic DIFF that caused that.
If it was the E-Diff, then disabling VSC & TC with the 3 second button press will NOT change the behavior.

Another thing to keep in mind for all of you who think "I can drive better than the nannies can":
So the HUMAN DRIVER can apply just one of the 4 brakes if they want to? No?
Didn't think so, but the nannies CAN.
Fine, your anecdotal evidence contradicts mine. Like I said previously, it's a miracle people got any where safely before the invention of these miraculous, Darwin defying nannies. Which merely react to and make an educated guess at what the driver is attempting to make happen. I'd rather have that control myself. YMMV. IANAL. OMGWTFBBQ!!!
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #60
justatroll

Quote:
Fine, your anecdotal evidence contradicts mine. Like I said previously, it's a miracle people got any where safely before the invention of these miraculous, Darwin defying nannies. Which merely react to and make an educated guess at what the driver is attempting to make happen. I'd rather have that control myself. YMMV. IANAL. OMGWTFBBQ!!!
People were able to commute to work before there were such things as seatbelts too. Is that a sufficient argument to say that we should not use them now? I mean they are kind of a pain in the ass...
And those air bag things have been known to kill you!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #61
wreckedrex

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Quote:
It's a miracle that people managed to keep cars on the roads in the 60's and 70's.

I've come closer to spinning my FR-S with all the aids on than with them all off. It's now always push and hold for street, pedal dance for autocross.
And the 80's and the 90's and the 00's... This is the first car I've had with all the TCS/vsc stuff, and they sorta suck. The nannies kick in pretty early even in "sport" mode, and they are not subtle about it. That said I tend to leave it alone. Used to hold the button for 5 every time I started the car, but anymore I'm to lazy and the lights on the dash bug me.
wreckedrex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wreckedrex For This Useful Post:
steve86gt (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #62
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You are describing the function of a healthy limited slip differential. You WANT that.
Interesting. I always got that too and i thought maybe i just wasnt giving it the proper amount of clutch or gas and have been working on getting rid of that for like 5 years lol. Show's how much i actually know about cars. But glad to know its not me being bad at driving skill and something that the car should be doing.
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #63
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedrex View Post
And the 80's and the 90's and the 00's... This is the first car I've had with all the TCS/vsc stuff, and they sorta suck. The nannies kick in pretty early even in "sport" mode, and they are not subtle about it. That said I tend to leave it alone. Used to hold the button for 5 every time I started the car, but anymore I'm to lazy and the lights on the dash bug me.
I am curious about this. A lot of people talk about the hold for 5. I dont really know what that means.

Disclaimer: I dont drive with any of my nannies off ever

When i do decide to turn them off (really just to see the lights come on) i press the button once and the light turns on in the dash telling me that my VSC is off. Now i do have a 2016. Does my model no longer need me to push the button for 5 seconds?

I also ask because i want to get into autocross eventually and i figured i should know some of this.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #64
everythingsablur

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S RS 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I am curious about this. A lot of people talk about the hold for 5. I dont really know what that means.
Simply pushing the button doesn't really disable it. If you get the car into a really dangerous situation, all the nannies will pop back on to try to save the car. Holding the button for 5 seconds disables TC/VSC more, be even still, not entirely. That's why you see reference to the "pedal dance" or aftermarket nanny disablers which simulate the pedal dance to fully shut off TC/VSC.

Personally, I leave them all on for daily driving/commuting, but I've had the car for a week. I'm still readjusting to RWD (it's been like 20 years since my last RWD, and that was FAR from a sporty car), but there are a couple of clear corners pulling into the office that I'm starting to get brave with and flick it into VSC Sport for, but haven't felt anything seriously kick in. Guess I should push it harder?

Will probably look into a proper track day to really understand the limits of the car in a safe (relatively speaking) environment.
2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0 #170/1000
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #65
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
Simply pushing the button doesn't really disable it. If you get the car into a really dangerous situation, all the nannies will pop back on to try to save the car. Holding the button for 5 seconds disables TC/VSC more, be even still, not entirely. That's why you see reference to the "pedal dance" or aftermarket nanny disablers which simulate the pedal dance to fully shut off TC/VSC.

Personally, I leave them all on for daily driving/commuting, but I've had the car for a week. I'm still readjusting to RWD (it's been like 20 years since my last RWD, and that was FAR from a sporty car), but there are a couple of clear corners pulling into the office that I'm starting to get brave with and flick it into VSC Sport for, but haven't felt anything seriously kick in. Guess I should push it harder?

Will probably look into a proper track day to really understand the limits of the car in a safe (relatively speaking) environment.

Interesting, is there anything telling you that you've successfully turned it off..."more"?
Old 08-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #66
justatroll

Quote:
Interesting, is there anything telling you that you've successfully turned it off..."more"?
If you press the Left button for >5 seconds at any speed, both dash lights will come on solid and stay that way.
That is the most 'disabled' you can get without the pedal dance or pulling the ABS fuse.
In this state, you still have ABS and Electronic Differential active, but no Vehicle Stability Control or Traction Control.
If you let the car slide around some the lights may still flash at you.
If you lift a wheel completely off the ground or spin the car on the ice, there is some discussion about the system re-enabling itself, but that is not proven.
everythingsablur (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #67
andrewtgg

Drives: Release Series 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I usually leave it full on and rarely have the nanny kick in but when it does it's usually due to bad pavement or something like that and it can cause serious problems. Changing lanes or turning and having power get cut or worse having the brakes apply themselves has nearly caused me to get rear ended.
How do you manage to get the power cut just changing lanes? I've read a couple people saying that has happened to them, but it has never happened to me before.
andrewtgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #68
justatroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtgg View Post
How do you manage to get the power cut just changing lanes? I've read a couple people saying that has happened to them, but it has never happened to me before.
see: asshat
andrewtgg (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #69
CCJ

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
People were able to commute to work before there were such things as seatbelts too. Is that a sufficient argument to say that we should not use them now? I mean they are kind of a pain in the ass...
And those air bag things have been known to kill you!
Seatbelts and airbags don't fuck the car while in motion. Your argument is invalid.

I'm not saying that nannies are useless, I'm sure they have kept many people from their well deserved Darwin awards. I'm just saying that they aren't always better than being in full control of the car. The driver of the car is a huge factor.

Quote:
Yes. But justatroll doesn't really answer that for you,

Quote:
If you press the Left button for >5 seconds at any speed, both dash lights will come on solid and stay that way.
That is the most 'disabled' you can get without the pedal dance or pulling the ABS fuse.
In this state, you still have ABS and Electronic Differential active, but no Vehicle Stability Control or Traction Control.
If you let the car slide around some the lights may still flash at you.
If you lift a wheel completely off the ground or spin the car on the ice, there is some discussion about the system re-enabling itself, but that is not proven.
so let me try. Both lights come on, same as the push and hold method, except that after the pedal dance pushing either button will not turn the dash lights off. The only way to turn things back on is to restart the car.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CCJ For This Useful Post:
justatroll (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #70
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You are describing the function of a healthy limited slip differential. You WANT that.
Thanks for the reassurance. I've been driving the car only seven months, so some things are still new to me. The noise in the rear started out almost undetectable, and has become louder over time, which made me suspicious. The next service isn't too far off -- I'll relax for now and have it looked at when the time comes.