follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
30K Service - Question

I'm due for my 30k service but looking at what needs to be done I'm curious if anyone else has gone a-la-carte. Let me explain.

Among other things the 30k is a tire rotation, oil change, brake flush, tranny & diff fluid change, PCV, and I believe air filter. Well, I'm modded and like many I've done some of these myself already. For example:

Tire rotation: my track tires on on there now, really don't need to be rotated.
Oil Change:
OK, needs it, go ahead
Brake Flush: I bled mine about 1.5k ago and changed the fluid for DOT4 while prepping for a track day. Really doesn't need a change.
Tranny/Diff: Swapped for motul about 20k ago - likely needs a change but rather not go back to stock fluid.
Air Filter Change: I have a drop in K&N that I cleaned maybe 500 miles ago. Don't want/need another OEM filter

Question is can I get "credit" on the service record for doing the 30K service and ask them to simply not do some of it? Deal gave me a price of around $600 for the whole thing which seems crazy considering I might not need/want them to do it all.

Thoughts? Advice? Flames?
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Skip the 30k, I did but I know cars very well, I never had the dealer change my oil either. I doubt you'll get a credit for this.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you're concerned about warranty maintenance: You can have this work done anywhere you want. Including your own garage. Keep your receipts and records.

For readers outside USA- this applies to the USA as part of our Magnuson-Moss warranty rules. Outside the USA, ymmv.
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You do not need regular maintenance (as stated in the owner's manual) done to have warranty coverage. You just need to maintain your car in good running order so that it will not have premature failure.

Recommended service intervals are there for the average person who does not know anything about cars, or don't care to think about maintaining their cars. If you do your own work, as long as everything is taken care of on a regular basis (as needed), you are fine.

What is a "regular basis" is going to depend on who you ask and what experience they may have.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
You do not need regular maintenance (as stated in the owner's manual) done to have warranty coverage. You just need to maintain your car in good running order so that it will not have premature failure.

Recommended service intervals are there for the average person who does not know anything about cars, or don't care to think about maintaining their cars. If you do your own work, as long as everything is taken care of on a regular basis (as needed), you are fine.

What is a "regular basis" is going to depend on who you ask and what experience they may have.

-alex
ditto..

seems like op already did most work done so skip it.
why bother going to dealer and pay that $600?
you already know how to
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post
Among other things the 30k is a tire rotation, oil change, brake flush, tranny & diff fluid change, PCV, and I believe air filter. Well, I'm modded and like many I've done some of these myself already.

You have a MT? There is no listed service requirement to change these fluids anyplace I have ever found. The only one listed is AT fluid and it was way higher then 30K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

-alex

For many things "regular basis" may be fine but the oil changes MUST be done within the stated time/mileage requirements. Yes you can do them yourself but you need to be able to prove you did them within the requirements or any related warranty work could (and probably will) be denied.
Not sure if they would nail you on the brake service if you had a claim but would presume that as long as you can prove you did it within the specified time you would be OK.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post
I'm curious if anyone else has gone a-la-carte.

This is exactly what I've done from day one in my Forester. During the Powertrain warranty period, I did some things myself and usually went to the dealer and read off the things to them that I wanted them to do. A few times I went to a Subaru specialty shop (AZP Installs), but my dealer doesn't have dozens of unnecessary add-ons so their prices aren't too bad (and I used "Subaru bucks" ((RIP)) at the dealer).

By having the dealer do some of the maintenance, I felt that it helped my case when they convinced SoA to cover a turbo failure at 62k miles. The dealer had noted in my file that I had concerns about smoke before the 60k mile warranty was up.

So regardless of who does your maintenance, I would always have maintenance done a-la-carte and only have the dealer (or independent shop) do what is recommended per your warranty booklet. Some of the dealer or independent shop recommendations outside of the warranty booklet might be a good idea, but they should present a very good case to you as to why they are recommending them. Another NJ dealer recommends a battery re-conditioning as part of their 6k mile maintenance which is complete nonsense. That dealer has so many unnecessary add-ons it's sad that people are paying for their services.

P.S. - If you did a used oil analysis and saw the high silicon from the dirt that the K&N is letting in, you might want an OEM filter.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Skip the 30k,........... .
Yep, I agree; I'd just document what you already have done and continue on .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You have a MT? There is no listed service requirement to change these fluids anyplace I have ever found. The only one listed is AT fluid and it was way higher then 30K.
You don't plan on ever changing your transmission fluid?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
You don't plan on ever changing your transmission fluid?
Eventually. Maybe. If I think it needs it. Probably never.

I asked because it is not on the service requirements yet the dealer said they should do it as part of the 30K service. OP says he was told $600 for the 30K service and that is a totally ridicules amount for that level. My 30K service (which included all of the listed requirements) cost $189. It appears to me that the dealer may be heavily padding what is required under the listed service for a 30K car.

Here is the list of requirements and a US price. Notice it is waaaaay below $600.
Attached Images

FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-29-2016), PollosHermanos (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #11
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Eventually. Maybe. If I think it needs it. Probably never.

I asked because it is not on the service requirements yet the dealer said they should do it as part of the 30K service. OP says he was told $600 for the 30K service and that is a totally ridicules amount for that level. My 30K service (which included all of the listed requirements) cost $189. It appears to me that the dealer may be heavily padding what is required under the listed service for a 30K car.

Here is the list of requirements and a US price. Notice it is waaaaay below $600.
Wouldn't it be different since that's in km?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Wouldn't it be different since that's in km?
The clip is in miles since it is US. 30K miles.
My "30K" service was actually at 45K kilometers but I automatically convert everything to miles when talking on here.
The requirements are the same just the unit of measurement is different so $600 is still robbery.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:27 AM   #13
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
600$ for what.

I see an oil change, air filter, and tire rotation. Everything else is an "inspection" i believe. And I wouldn't trust a dealer to change brake fluid I seen some techs just suck out the master cylinder and put new fluid there only. Just do it yourself and keep receipts if you are worried about warranty.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I haven't responded but all of this is great info.

I'm going to get the oil, filter. And crush washer this morning.

Will be canceling the appointment I have for this week.

The $600 price is ridiculous and I do all my work with my porsche mechanic buddy to be sure I dont do anything too dumb.

Appreciate everyone's advice here. Will be keeping the receipts and likely doing an oil analysis since I have a few track days on this oil.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote