follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #449
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
How do you like it? Notice a difference? Gear change speeds awkward? Freeway driving rpm's? Did you install?

All we know is.... He's called The Stig
I did not install it but the shop who did took around 5 hours for all (taking it down, opening it, changing the gears and bearings, putting it all back and everything).

The car feels faster but isnt actually faster. You make up some time in acceleration but loose it by shifting more often. It is more fun to drive on the city, it is a pain to drive in the highway (almost 4k rpm for 65mph in 6th).

I would recomend for a NA car that will see a lot of track time after all of the other possible power mods are in (filter, exhaust, tune, flex-fuel if available, suspension and tires). Otherwise, its better than stock, but its not hte holly grail people make it out to be.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Jyn (09-29-2017)
Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #450
BWilky

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Some else posted it before, but can't remember who..lucky I am very close to Spencer Fab, but you can also ship your rear diff to them.

http://www.spencerfabricationcompany...grade-program/

BWilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #451
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't do it, not sure I want to have such high highway rpm's. But I'm doing power mods so that might bring it down some... Dunno

FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #452
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't do it, not sure I want to have such high highway rpm's. But I'm doing power mods so that might bring it down some... Dunno

Power mods bring down RPM? I hope you meant something else... like bring down your need of a final drive swap.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #453
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Um, I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. I'm a noob. I didn't even know exactly what a final gear was exactly until about a month ago.

I was thinking, more power, less engine has to work. But obviously you're right, the ratio is the ratio. More power just means I wouldn't have to go as far with gearing.

Mia culpa

FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #454
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
@FNCrazy I'm running the Weir 4.56 with their solid pinion spacer in my MT. I have intake/header/exhaust and a Delicious flexfuel tune (though I haven't run e85 since the install of the diff).

The car feels great through 3rd, but it's still a ~200hp car, so I don't feel a huge difference beyond that. And it's really not that bad at highway cruise. I don't notice a mpg hit, and I like that I don't have to use as much clutch to start off in first.

My only complaint is that, with the solid pinion spacer, we are running zero shims on the pinion and it is still running a bit deep on the ring, so I have a very slight howl under deceleration.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 07-26-2016 at 10:11 AM.
civicdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to civicdrivr For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #455
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So is it my understanding that the differential needs to be replaced as well as the gears?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Have had the Cusco 4.556 FD installed since January. I did not need to mess with the diff, but recall reading somewhere that if you go much higher (ratio) then you also need a different diff. Also the Cusco is cut in the same way as stock (Helical) so runs silent with no whine.

No first hand experience with Wier, but I have read peoples comments on our own forum of increased NVH. Not knocking their products, you just get what you pay for.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #456
civicdrivr

The Cusco is cut like stock because it's actually a Toyota part.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #457
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
How do you like it? Notice a difference? Gear change speeds awkward? Freeway driving rpm's? Did you install?

I had a 4.56 Weir installed at a local shop and I like it a lot. It's easier on my clutch when I park my car as I live on a hill with a curb that is both sloping and curved--I don't want my sidewalls up on the slope and I don't want my car sticking out too far because of the school buses and trucks that come thru all the time. I always fold my mirror in. I made a round trip to Pittsburgh not long ago using the cruise control as much as possible and got 34.9 mpg--I was impressed because a good part of the trip was at 70 mph and the tach read maybe 3300. My rear whines a bit when cruising but I'm pretty much used to it. I drove dump trucks and tractor-trailers back in the '70s and lot of them had transmission noise similar to my rear end noise. Changing gears from 1st to 2nd is still awkward, but I haven't removed my clutch spring yet. I have swapped slave cylinders, however.
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #458
civicdrivr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw99 View Post
I had a 4.56 Weir installed at a local shop and I like it a lot. It's easier on my clutch when I park my car as I live on a hill with a curb that is both sloping and curved--I don't want my sidewalls up on the slope and I don't want my car sticking out too far because of the school buses and trucks that come thru all the time. I always fold my mirror in. I made a round trip to Pittsburgh not long ago using the cruise control as much as possible and got 34.9 mpg--I was impressed because a good part of the trip was at 70 mph and the tach read maybe 3300. My rear whines a bit when cruising but I'm pretty much used to it. I drove dump trucks and tractor-trailers back in the '70s and lot of them had transmission noise similar to my rear end noise. Changing gears from 1st to 2nd is still awkward, but I haven't removed my clutch spring yet. I have swapped slave cylinders, however.
Can you define "a bit"? I heard a whine at cruise too but it's much louder then stock and I'm not sure if I need to tear everything apart again. I may try swapping over to some Redline fluid from the Mobil 1 fluid I'm running now though...
DAEMANO (12-21-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #459
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
Can you define "a bit"? I heard a whine at cruise too but it's much louder then stock and I'm not sure if I need to tear everything apart again. I may try swapping over to some Redline fluid from the Mobil 1 fluid I'm running now though...
Its a very faint whine. I have to be actively looking for it to notice it, usually not audible over exhaust noice. Noice varies with speed and its not always present (more audible at around 40mph and then again at around 70mph, I cant hear anything if my engine revs are over 5000 because of my exhaust).

I have the 4.88 from weir.

By the way, I dont think this is a defect on the piece itself but rather how it normally works. 4 months and 6 track days (2-3 hours of track time on each) after the install, everything is fine and noice has actually gone down a bit (or I have gotten used to ignore it).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-27-2016), DAEMANO (12-21-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #460
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw99 View Post
Quote:

I have a pretty loud steady state while/drone from the rear end after the rear end swap. It is from about 70-82.

I have talked to Weir about it, discussed all my "settings" as far as bearing preload and backlash. His suggestion was to possibly pull it apart and put new bearings in(I reused the bearings as the doner diff I assembled had 3k on it. I am not worried about it at the moment, there is no accell/decel whine which is the primary concern. His other thoughts was that it was likely a resonance noise caused by the change in gearing that I would have heard previously, but at much higher speeds.

Diff has between 8-10 track days, and 9 auto-x events on it. Plus street miles.

***If I set the cruise in the 90-95MPH range, car is dead silent, wondering if it could be exhaust drone?

Last edited by ka-t_240; 07-27-2016 at 12:33 PM.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-27-2016), DAEMANO (12-21-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #461
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
It's easy to hear and much louder than stock, but I've gotten used to it.
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcw99 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #462
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
***If I set the cruise in the 90-95MPH range, car is dead silent, wondering if it could be exhaust drone?
If I did that I'be deaf, thats what I'd be.

I changed bearings on mine, maybe that explains a bit the difference. Or maybe you just have exhaust drone and not diff noice.

Tags
cusco final drive