follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Midvaal Raceway

I haven't been to Midvaal Raceway for almost a year now - last in August 2015, and it still remains my favouritestest track of all

I need to get there again, especially so because Nino's changed the direction from CW to CCW, for the first time ever as far as I know.
My mind goes into overdrive trying to visualise the circuit the other way around.
And I'd like to give Nino some of my money because he needs it more than RSR or the Z.

There was an Extreme Festival Northern Regions race day there last weekend, but I can't find any CCW videos on YouTube yet, and it'll be a few weeks before it's on TV on ch189.

Who wants to join me for a day or weekend at Midvaal? I'm definately going there soon, but I'm prepared to fit in dates-wise if you guys want to play there too.

Here's the video of my personal best lap there. My Russian video cam had overheated in the sun, so it's terrible Nokia cellphone video. The track was horrid - full of oil from a Supra vomiting it's black bellyful, a Porsche 928 emptying it's sump along the pit straight, and a Jetta historics racecar painting a stripe of oil around the track after it went off in T2 and split it's sump open.

After battling with a mental block about all the oil and the 20-something bags of cement they used to patch it up, I just decided to hell with that, and put foot. Despite having a 90kg passenger on board, I cracked under 1m20 for the first time ever, and did it 4 times that afternoon, so it wasn't a fluke.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKtO4M0OdW0"]Midvaal Raceway Toyota 86 2015-08-15 1m19.3 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 07-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
HachirokuDK

Drives: Toyota 86 Limited Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well done on the time,what makes the track your favourite? I'm looking into getting into my first track day but I needa do my homework first and scout a bit.
HachirokuDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachirokuDK View Post
Well done on the time,what makes the track your favourite? I'm looking into getting into my first track day but I needa do my homework first and scout a bit.
My favourite because I cut my teeth at Midvaal, because there's normally no civvy cars on track just race cars practicing which is cool and exciting, and because my son lives 5kms from the track

Closest track to Durban is Roy Hesketh at Pmb. @Ryan86 can maybe help you with arrangements to get onto Hesketh.