follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2016, 03:15 AM   #1
japes
Fish out of water

Drives: 2016 86 GT White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Grind sound on Cold start

Doing cold start (37C outside temp. Normal for heat wave this time of year) last 2 days the car makes a brief grinding noise that is very similar to this [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aafLiPygXhM"]2010 Corolla start up noise 2 - YouTube[/ame] .

The first time, I thought it was when I let go of the clutch but it happened again and I already had the clutch out. It happens about a half second after startup, and lasts for a half second.

Car is a JDM 86, 2016 bought new at the end of Feb. Has 4k kms on it.

Any help?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Post a clip of your own car making the actual sound. Then maybe we can talk.

Or just leave it at the dealer until it cools off enough to show someone in person.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,999 Times in 16,486 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep, a clip of your car starting would be good.

In the clip you posted, I just hear a starter motor and some valve tappet chatter.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
japes
Fish out of water

Since that clip shows the exact sound and timing I thought it would be fine. The dealer will come and look at it. However language barrier in Japan is real, and im also aeay for the next 2 weeks. Thought it would be worth whilev trying to track down the cause
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Since that clip shows the exact sound and timing I thought it would be fine. The dealer will come and look at it. However language barrier in Japan is real, and im also aeay for the next 2 weeks. Thought it would be worth whilev trying to track down the cause
Ok well, on that clip it sounds like all the oil is dumping back down to the pan so everything's dry on startup and it's taking a while for it to build up oil pressure.

Then I went and looked at the comments on the youtube post. A toyota tech nailed it.

We have a similar hydraulically controlled variable valve timing system which has a known failure mode in which a check valve falls apart releasing all oil pressure. This eventually causes crankshaft/rod bearing failure due to oil starvation.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
japes
Fish out of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ok well, on that clip it sounds like all the oil is dumping back down to the pan so everything's dry on startup and it's taking a while for it to build up oil pressure.

Then I went and looked at the comments on the youtube post. A toyota tech nailed it.

We have a similar hydraulically controlled variable valve timing system which has a known failure mode in which a check valve falls apart releasing all oil pressure. This eventually causes crankshaft/rod bearing failure due to oil starvation.
Thanks. Do you think there is a TSB for it? I found the one for the corolla but no 86
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Thanks. Do you think there is a TSB for it? I found the one for the corolla but no 86
There isn't one directly related to the mechanical failure but there is a more general TSB which combines it with other valve timing issues. It's the top stickied thread in this section.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15577

edit: mind you, I'm not making a call. I'm hypothesizing based on the clip you chose to describe your sound.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Assuming we are talking about the vvti system failure related to "cam over advanced" and "cam sensor delay" codes stemming from the oil valve failure... Toyota does not have a TSB, Subaru does(or did). I just dealt with that issue. For me it was caused by a spun bearing but your problem could be unrelated. I don't know everything about engines and I didn't watch the clip since I didn't think I would be able to garner any info from it. Just saw the vvti mentioned and wanted to offer some info
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Assuming we are talking about the vvti system failure related to "cam over advanced" and "cam sensor delay" codes stemming from the oil valve failure... Toyota does not have a TSB, Subaru does(or did). I just dealt with that issue. For me it was caused by a spun bearing but your problem could be unrelated. I don't know everything about engines and I didn't watch the clip since I didn't think I would be able to garner any info from it. Just saw the vvti mentioned and wanted to offer some info
Actually, your oil valve failure caused the spun bearing. That and the issue of over-applied sealant breaking off and clogging an orifice are the two things I sweat.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
Nickosport

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

This^^. 8th gen Honda Civic SI has the same issue, but Honda doesnt have a fix.
This should be covered under powertrain warranty. It should be pretty straight forward for a dealer to diagnose. I suggest you not drive it as a valve timing issue can bend valves and screw up pistons.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Actually, your oil valve failure caused the spun bearing. That and the issue of over-applied sealant breaking off and clogging an orifice are the two things I sweat.
I dunno, dealership said it was the other way around but I'm not sure how you would be able to tell
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I dunno, dealership said it was the other way around but I'm not sure how you would be able to tell
Your dealer is full of shit. First, it's a widely known sequence of events that you unfortunately experienced. Second, there's no way a spun rod bearing would cause a peened cover to pop off of a valve timing control assembly.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #13
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
There's no way to tell what the sound is from a recording of a different car. That sort of a sound could be a LOT of things and not all of them are catastrophic. Record YOUR actual car making the cold startup noise and get back to us.

I have a tendency to believe it's a loose heat shield and not a an oiling system issue with a brand new car. But that's a guess based on an internet video of one startup of a different car
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, grinding, start up