follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #85
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
y I live in a country with 1/10 the population of yours with a larger land area. It didn't occur to me those cars were common in the US. They aren't common here, AFAIK.

Then again I'd never notice a 370Z (pronounced three seventy ZED in Canada) regardless Nismo or otherwise.
Well I don't go over to the European forums and suggest they all get Mustangs and tell them that diesel cars are rare, common sense.

OP is in Kentucky, should be <$400 to fly anywhere in the country with enough notice, maybe $200 for a rental from the airport and hotel room for the night and <$400 to drive it back with a few stops along the way. Add $1k on top of the price for him to go out and see it in person, or have it shipped to his doorstep and he can choose from any NISMO in the country and spend about the same as buying a new BRZ at his local dealership.

$26k in Tennessee for a '14 with <17k miles, it's a 45 minute drive for the OP:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3199/overview/

$24k in Utah:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5817/overview/

$26k in Colorado:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2762/overview/
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Braeden (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #86
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Well I don't go over to the European forums and suggest they all get Mustangs and tell them that diesel cars are rare, common sense.

OP is in Kentucky, should be <$400 to fly anywhere in the country with enough notice, maybe $200 for a rental from the airport and hotel room for the night and <$400 to drive it back with a few stops along the way. Add $1k on top of the price for him to go out and see it in person, or have it shipped to his doorstep and he can choose from any NISMO in the country and spend about the same as buying a new BRZ at his local dealership.

$26k in Tennessee for a '14 with <17k miles, it's a 45 minute drive for the OP:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3199/overview/

$24k in Utah:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5817/overview/

$26k in Colorado:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2762/overview/
Rekt. Well played strat
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #87
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Canadians tend to forget the country difference at the 49th Parallel except when talking currency (we are quite low to the US$ right now) or gun control . I am not an ignorant person, and in a sense I am right that the Nismo might not be an easy find. Having to travel far to buy a regular car isn't something I'd want to do if I could avoid it. That distance can easily release the seller from certain obligations that a local seller would not easily escape..

I think y'all hate Canadians (LOL), or maybe just jealous of our prime minister's yoga moves (LOL LOL)
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #88
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
Appreciate the real response. Unless the 2017 models just "wow" me I am almost dead set on a 2012~ nismo. But that being said a family member is looking to find a new home for his 2002 Z3 M with randy forbes modifications. Pretty tempted to look into that because I would only have to pay up $12k and its only got 50k miles. The thing flies too. Pretty sure the S54 engine was rated at 320~hp.

have a lot of choices to make but either way thanks again for the info.
If you think there is a possibility that you might ever want to go to a track with the 370z, i would recommend you get a 2013+ for the oil cooler. The nismo is also heavily cosmetic changes without real performance benefit. The claimed HP increase is dubious. The suspension is a lot stiffer, which makes daily driving uncomfortable but it doesn't actually improve lap times. It's probably overdamped.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #89
strat61caster
-

Quote:
in a sense I am right that the Nismo might not be an easy find. Having to travel far to buy a regular car isn't something I'd want to do if I could avoid it.
Back to back you say the car is rare but not worth traveling for? For the right car, I would absolutely travel across the country for it. Hell I've heavily researched importing a car from Europe or Japan (I can't take that kind of financial risk at this point though, it's about $5k end to end on top of the price of the car and there's tons of pitfalls). It's up to the OP, but positing that a NISMO 370Z is a unicorn just isn't true for the average American who can afford a $30k purchase.

Meanwhile there's guys down here paying double to triple what you would pay for a Nissan Skyline. There are some real unicorns out there, a Z won't be one until after I'm retired in about half a century. And that goes for any Z.

The only thing I'm jealous of is your healthcare.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #90
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Appreciate the real response. Unless the 2017 models just "wow" me I am almost dead set on a 2012~ nismo. But that being said a family member is looking to find a new home for his 2002 Z3 M with randy forbes modifications. Pretty tempted to look into that because I would only have to pay up $12k and its only got 50k miles. The thing flies too. Pretty sure the S54 engine was rated at 320~hp.

have a lot of choices to make but either way thanks again for the info.
That's a good deal for an S54 Roadster provided it's in good condition. If it'a coupe your Uncle doesn't know what it's worth, there's only 2 M Coupes with S54's for sale under $50k in the country.

Be sure you can afford the maintenance, that's a delicate engine that could cost a pretty penny to put back together. The S52 has a better reliability rating but is down ~80hp.

http://www.mroadsterbuyersguide.com/...stUpdated+desc

http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/lis...G=1&EngineID=1
Braeden (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #91
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Back to back you say the car is rare

The only thing I'm jealous of is your healthcare.

I don't know what the car is. To be honest it's not a model I have ever had any interest in. Nissan is plagued with ugly styling IMHO. Most of their cars "Have a big bum", quoting my wife LOL. Please don't assume I know anything about Nismo Z's other than that they are the top of the line package therefore probably sell the least volume when new.

Perhaps it's worth a long trip to get a truly rare/desirable car. For me at least, a Nissan Z is not that car. I have looked at used GT-r's in the past even thought I dont have sufficient space for a 4th car in the house. The best deals in Canada seemed to be in Montreal. There's no way I would buy a normal car 350 mi away even though they typically ask $5-$10K less in Quebec. Oh and the GTR is still pretty ugly though the performance makes it forgivable.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #92
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't know what the car is. To be honest it's not a model I have ever had any interest in. Nissan is plagued with ugly styling IMHO. Most of their cars "Have a big bum", quoting my wife LOL. Please don't assume I know anything about Nismo Z's other than that they are the top of the line package therefore probably sell the least volume when new.

Perhaps it's worth a long trip to get a truly rare/desirable car. For me at least, a Nissan Z is not that car. I have looked at used GT-r's in the past even thought I dont have sufficient space for a 4th car in the house. The best deals in Canada seemed to be in Montreal. There's no way I would buy a normal car 350 mi away even though they typically ask $5-$10K less in Quebec. Oh and the GTR is still pretty ugly though the performance makes it forgivable.
You won't travel 350 miles for a $10,000 discount? Must be nice to have your kind of money
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-06-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #93
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
You won't travel 350 miles for a $10,000 discount? Must be nice to have your kind of money
I am not poor, that's for sure. I am also 52 years old.

I'd still try to get the best deal, but to reiterate, it is not desirable to buy out of province (or state in your case) and far away when consumer laws vary from location to location. I am guessing we are talking a huge amount of money to replace a bad engine.

Last edited by wbradley; 07-06-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #94
strat61caster
-

Quote:
There's no way I would buy a normal car 350 mi away even though they typically ask $5-$10K less in Quebec.
I'd take that roadtrip for those savings in a fucking heartbeat.

20 mpg = <$150 on gas, maybe 200 canada bucks
700 miles = 12 hours driving

Wake up early, meet mid-day, inspect car, purchase, drive home. I've done it before to sell something for much less than $5k in my pocket. $5k/14 hours (breaks, lunch, inspection and test drive time) = $358/hour.

But, you do you.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #95
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
I'd take that roadtrip for those savings in a fucking heartbeat.

20 mpg = <$150 on gas, maybe 200 canada bucks
700 miles = 12 hours driving

Wake up early, meet mid-day, inspect car, purchase, drive home. I've done it before to sell something for much less than $5k in my pocket. $5k/14 hours (breaks, lunch, inspection and test drive time) = $358/hour.

But, you do you.

I have done that many time for collectible pinball machines. In fact a fewof those machines were sold to pay for the FR-S, as I was getting bored of restoring, fixing, cleaning, dragging in and out of the basement 300 lbs, etc.

But a pinball machine is something I can fully test and inspect and afford repairs for no matter what.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #96
Braeden

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's a good deal for an S54 Roadster provided it's in good condition. If it'a coupe your Uncle doesn't know what it's worth, there's only 2 M Coupes with S54's for sale under $50k in the country.

Be sure you can afford the maintenance, that's a delicate engine that could cost a pretty penny to put back together. The S52 has a better reliability rating but is down ~80hp.

http://www.mroadsterbuyersguide.com/...stUpdated+desc

http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/lis...G=1&EngineID=1
Thanks for the info. I believe the coupe is the really rare one. I've seen roadsters with similar mileage for $20k. For some reason the coupe isire rare suppose the supply was less
Braeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #97
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I believe the coupe is the really rare one. I've seen roadsters with similar mileage for $20k. For some reason the coupe isire rare suppose the supply was less
S52 and non-M coupes are still rather reasonable at ~$20k and ~$10k respectively for driver level cars, only a bit more expensive than their soft top counterparts. There were at least a few thousand shipped over here to satisfy the relatively low demand for a shooting brake.

The S54 M Coupe is practically a unicorn with only 678 brought into the United States in total, the right color combo and low mileage sees asking prices north of $60k.
chaoskaze (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #98
Braeden

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
S52 and non-M coupes are still rather reasonable at ~$20k and ~$10k respectively for driver level cars, only a bit more expensive than their soft top counterparts. There were at least a few thousand shipped over here to satisfy the relatively low demand for a shooting brake.

The S54 M Coupe is practically a unicorn with only 678 brought into the United States in total, the right color combo and low mileage sees asking prices north of $60k.
There is supposedly someone in my new neighborhood with a Laguna Seca S54 M Coupe. They're cool because they're rare but I prefer the Z4 Coupe. However that being said I prefer the Z3 Roadster.

Interesting numbers thanks again. Love learning new stuff
Braeden is offline   Reply With Quote