follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #29
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"If i ever feel underpowered I can always throw in a small low-mounted,low psi turbo", unfortunately, as most turbo kits come with their own header to place turbine in exhaust path, investment in header will go down the drain, as normal headers are usable only if NA, or if supercharged (as SC goes on intake, not exhaust).
Hence i advise to choose NA/SC -OR- turbo and stick to it, to not have pay for something redundant later.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
proffesorGLIVE (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #30
proffesorGLIVE

Drives: Euro GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@churchx

Thanks! I understand that. And the chances are minimal for me going fi so I'll stick to NA. And even though I wrote turbo I would probably go sc IF I ever decide. But let's ignore that post to avoid confusion. Its NA only for me. me contemplating fi is only fighting the mod bug. I got sick with mod/buy bug once with my guitars and amps.. I ain't going down that road with a car hehe
proffesorGLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #31
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proffesorGLIVE View Post
so maybe I'll go flywheel and pulleys just for the feel factor. And let me introduce my ginger rocket to you guys. Shes very thankful for your advice and opinions.
Very nice car. I have to recommend against both lightweight flywheel and pulleys. No issues doing one or the other but i seems nearly everyone who has done both have blown their engines.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
proffesorGLIVE (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #32
proffesorGLIVE

Drives: Euro GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Lynxis

thanks! damn.. blown engine is far from my desire I guess it has to do with dynamic balancing of the engine rotating parts or something if I think about it (not a car mechanic). I'll leave those anyway.

Hey guys I know this thread has derailed from the topic a bit but if you don't mind I have a question about intake. I know general opinion is stock is good. Is this still true?
proffesorGLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to proffesorGLIVE For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #33
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proffesorGLIVE View Post
@Lynxis

thanks! damn.. blown engine is far from my desire I guess it has to do with dynamic balancing of the engine rotating parts or something if I think about it (not a car mechanic). I'll leave those anyway.

Hey guys I know this thread has derailed from the topic a bit but if you don't mind I have a question about intake. I know general opinion is stock is good. Is this still true?
Yes, just get a high flow panel filter and you can get up to 80% of the gains of an expensive, high end intake for a fraction of the cost. We are talking about the difference of 2whp tops so it's pretty hard to justify the cost of a high end intake when a filter will get you most of the way there. Just search a few threads for intake and filter dyno testing to find good brands but I recall K&N and Blitz make great filters.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, header