follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #155
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramick View Post
If they removed it improperly then they could have caused it. It's hard to prove if you don't have evidence it was correct before the shop worked on it. Once you have it it'll never go away until you replace the bumper.
Sadly this is a brand new bumper with the issue But I never looked at my old bumper closely enough to know if it was like this before I was hit
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #156
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Anyone try this method to fix the gap? I'm just not picturing how this would actually work and fix the issue.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASuMrplh7_c"]FRS/Gt86/BRZ Bumper Gap Fix!!! - YouTube[/ame]
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dj2020 For This Useful Post:
Bramick (06-06-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #157
blackfireball5

Drives: Scion FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I did the Quik Latch fix on mine. Looks pretty good. And I'm gonna try the zip tie trick from the link above. ☺️

Use code TWW-BOO5TED when shopping at Wheelwell to receive 10% off your order.
blackfireball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #158
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Okay, this is what I did for the dreaded bumper gap. It's not perfect but much improved. I did not want to do the Quik Latch method...at least not yet and I did not want to get a new bumper cover with paint match and still end up having the same problem.

I drilled a small hole as shown on the bumper cover. Please disregard the small hole I drilled in the black headlight bracket. I did not end up using this hole.

I then ran twine through the newly drilled bumper hole. The twine was then run between the headlight and fender liner up to the black bracket you see here. I used a zip tie to connect the twine to the black bracket as shown. The zip tie serves to put tension on the twine and pull the bumper up and in. It's a balance, pull too tight and the twine or zip tie will snap but not tight enough, the bumper will pop out or sag.

Ive driven the last two days and it's holding up. I may change to something stronger than twine and maybe use thicker zip ties if this breaks. The twine is currently rubbing against some sharp edges on the chassis and I believe will eventually fail but this was simply just a little proof of concept project. It's not a polished solution but the gap was getting bad.

Here's the finished look. Not perfect but much improved.

I'm all ears if any of you have suggestions to improve on this.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dj2020 For This Useful Post:
8R6 (07-12-2016), FRSGT86 (07-11-2016), microbionic (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #159
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
yea...i don't give a crap anymore after pulling the front bumper off multiple times. It's like growing old and accepting grey hairs and wrinkles. Just mash the sucker back on and start driving.

You'll only notice it if you look closely...which no one ever does.
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
taiguy (07-11-2016), tonytduc (07-12-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #160
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Maybe this? http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...45&postcount=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #161
Veeoh

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Revival time? I'm guessing there is still no real solution to this?? So heartbreaking �� I've been deciding so hard on getting new headlights just because of this reason. My driver side is sagging and I have to push out and push up to get it to be a "bit" better but will sag off right away. I said screw it and ordered my lights so I'm gonna be taking off my bumper for the first time since owning it. Bout to hot glue gun those damn pins in!! ����
Veeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #162
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeoh View Post
Revival time? I'm guessing there is still no real solution to this?? So heartbreaking �� I've been deciding so hard on getting new headlights just because of this reason. My driver side is sagging and I have to push out and push up to get it to be a "bit" better but will sag off right away. I said screw it and ordered my lights so I'm gonna be taking off my bumper for the first time since owning it. Bout to hot glue gun those damn pins in!! ����
Didn't go back to see if mentioned in this thread but there is an solution with 100% reported success rate.
Look through this:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108535
Veeoh (06-08-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #163
shodan

Drives: MY15 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Has this been addressed in the 2017 models?
shodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #164
wutangbrz

Drives: 2015 dgm brz
I had this happen recently for the first time after owning the car since 2015. I fixed it by unbolting the headlight bumper bracket from the side and then pushing it in to the right position and then rebolting it. If i remember correctly it was 2-3 bolts right on the end near the fender.
wutangbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #165
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
After 3 years of bumper gap I decided to replace the bumper, mainly because the bumper tabs were in no shaped to ever work properly again. I also decided that there was a good bit of "droop" with the lower attachment of the plastic shelf underneath. Seeing the "threaded rod" fix made me think that I could take out a good bit of horizontal play and pull the bumper back up...at least cheat it upward a bit to help keep it from pulling down and putting excess weight on the upper tabs. I was able to pull up at least 1/2" to 3/4" of play. The TRD front lip added weight too, so I think it worked out for the best.

Wanted new headlights anyway, and since new headlights meant removing the bumper it seemed like a good time to do it all. The new lights fit perfectly and work well after having an adapter made for the new wiring. Made the threaded rod hangers but attached them in a different spot than the ones on this thread. Where I attached them didn't require drilling into the plastic shelf and there was a natural hole already there. 1/4 inch stainless steel rod is plenty sturdy and won't rust, along with the stainless washers and lock nuts. Hardest part was drilling into the crash bar, I think I ruined several (cheap) drill bits in the process.

New bumper along with new side attachment pieces made for a very secure fit, everything went into place and did not move again. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions that I picked up in this admittedly old thread, but I think it's good to have lots of ideas in one place for others who will certainly run into the same problems.
Attached Images

cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfordart For This Useful Post:
TheBRZsKnees (07-25-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #166
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_86 View Post
ok guys just as mentioned two posts above, he is correct only subaru gives a shit about your car in the tsb world, subaru does have a tsb not only that it's been out since LAST year. so if any subaru dealer says they dont know what your talking about then shame on them and convince them to do the right thing. Of course this does not include Canada sorry. SOA issues tsb's under there own and not other countries. the tsb# 12-139-12.

Brkt corner F RH part #57707ca001
Brkt corner F LH part #57707ca011

as to the guy with experience with plastic. they only reason i showed skepticism, is due to the fact of where you live compared to where i live im from texas the only other place hotter than us is surrounding states to the left. im going by what your profile location states.
1. Does my car need to be under warranty to get this tsb done?

2. Has anyone tried this with success? I think further in this thread one person said it did not work, but wondering if we can get a larger sample size...

Thanks all
covance is offline   Reply With Quote