follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
Baldoak
BRZ N02

Drives: 2013 A/T Subaru BRZ Limited, SWP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
First Track Day? First Top Tip: JUST GO ALREADY!

I'm 1/2 of a YouTube channel called Minute Rice Channel, and we decided that we'd heard enough about the magic of driving on the track and wanted to find out what it was like for ourselves... so we went! The most important thing we learned? We should have gone sooner.

We produced a video and wanted to share it with anyone who might be feeling like they aren't ready, or that their car is not up to snuff.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agvT43wRdFs"]Essential first track day tip: JUST GO ALREADY - YouTube[/ame]

Please subscribe, comment, share, or contact us if you think you have a car, event, or subject that could be a fun feature for the show. Thanks for taking a look! We hope you're feeling inspired to finally get out to the track.

Custom handmade stickers
Baldoak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baldoak For This Useful Post:
batlwagn (05-20-2016), BigFatFlip (05-20-2016), Racecomp Engineering (05-20-2016), Shark_Bait88 (05-20-2016), VMRamos (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
We should have gone sooner.
This is exactly what I try to impart to all the Toyobaru kids in my area. You don't need a bunch of upgrades for your car to handle the track. Change your brake fluid, some new pads are probably a good idea too, but otherwise the cars do great stock. JUST GO!
Baldoak (05-20-2016), CSG Mike (05-20-2016), jjaisli (05-20-2016), Racecomp Engineering (05-20-2016), Takumi788 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Glad you enjoyed your first track day - it's addicting.

Next time I'd try one with instructors for your novice group. Not only do you learn more, but it eliminates the on-track idiocy you witnessed (passing without point bys). Dangerous situation and a close call in your case. That kind of behavior gets squashed out early in instructed novice groups, so if you pick the right organizations to run with, it's a non-issue even as you advance upward.

Also it sucked that you were black flagged multiple times for leaking fuel, but any fluids on track creates a dangerous situation for others (i.e., unexpected fluids in the middle of corners) so it was probably necessary.

A lot of the issues you encountered were out of the norm - hope you keep coming out!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-22-2016), strat61caster (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
Baldoak
BRZ N02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Glad you enjoyed your first track day - it's addicting.

Next time I'd try one with instructors for your novice group. Not only do you learn more, but it eliminates the on-track idiocy you witnessed (passing without point bys). Dangerous situation and a close call in your case. That kind of behavior gets squashed out early in instructed novice groups, so if you pick the right organizations to run with, it's a non-issue even as you advance upward.

Also it sucked that you were black flagged multiple times for leaking fuel, but any fluids on track creates a dangerous situation for others (i.e., unexpected fluids in the middle of corners) so it was probably necessary.

A lot of the issues you encountered were out of the norm - hope you keep coming out!
We had talked about going out for some instructed HPDE in the future, so thank you for bringing that up. There was a lot of fun to be had even with all the hang ups, and I think having some professional instruction could really enhance the whole experience. Next time we'll be taking a little bit more of a track-oriented car too (BRZ/Evo).

Custom handmade stickers
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldoak For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
VMRamos

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
That was a great video! I appreciate the time you spent putting that content together, and the message behind it! Now I just have to find some free time from school and work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VMRamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I tell everybody that wants to go that it is a life changer. It changes the way you think about your car. It changes the way you look at modifying your car. The shiny, pretty things you wanted for the street are substituted with thoughts of brake endurance, tire compounds, fluid coolers, safety and reliability.

I sold my 300 whp 240sx that I loved after I participated in my first track day. It was a solid street car. I built it for reliability and thought I had thought of everything. I ended up only being able to participate for a half of the day bc of car problems. Problems I never would have had on the street. There is something about pushing a car to its limits for 20-30 mins straight that re-shapes what you think is cool. On the street its turbo kits and flashy wheels. On the track its cooling components and high temp brake fluid. Be prepared to change your bookmarked future car parts list, bc after a track day, all those shiny parts seem irrelevant.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
Baldoak (05-20-2016), DarkSunrise (05-21-2016), Deep Six (05-21-2016), jjaisli (05-20-2016), Pat (05-21-2016), Shark_Bait88 (05-20-2016), soulreapersteve (05-20-2016), strat61caster (05-20-2016), TkTk (05-22-2016), Ultramaroon (05-21-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Baldoak
BRZ N02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
On the street its turbo kits and flashy wheels. On the track its cooling components and high temp brake fluid. Be prepared to change your bookmarked future car parts list, bc after a track day, all those shiny parts seem irrelevant.

That's a neat perspective - I think there's probably a lot of people out there who just assume that you need to have some monster to participate at a track, and don't look any further... and when you see what's cool on the streets it paints an inaccurate picture of what a real track/race car is about. I've personally gone down the showy road with my BRZ as a daily driver, but I have huge appreciation for any purpose-built machine, and this track experience has opened my eyes to different approaches to my build.

Glad you liked the video!

Custom handmade stickers
Old 05-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Saw it when you posted it. So glad to see more local people just getting out there and doing it.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I just don't see being into cars, modifying them and not taking them to the track or autox to use them and, more importantly, learning to actually drive them well.
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e1_griego For This Useful Post:
Baldoak (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Agreed!
A. Get out there
B. Splurge on a group with a reputation for good instructors or find a reputable private instructor to hire for the day
C. Ride along with said instructor (especially if he drives what some would qualify as a 'shitbox') and realize you're a long way from driving at your car's potential
D. Have fun

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-22-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
atlbrz

Drives: Hyper Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As other have hinted, letting a newby out on a track without an instructor is irresponsible. People crash cars and get killed. Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you can drive fast. Particularly at tracks like Road Atlanta. You need an instructor for safety and to improve your driving skills. I learned something new from every instructor. People are in a hurry to drive solo, but hold out. You will continue improving your skills for years if your ego doesn't get in the way.
atlbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
This is exactly what I try to impart to all the Toyobaru kids in my area. You don't need a bunch of upgrades for your car to handle the track. Change your brake fluid, some new pads are probably a good idea too, but otherwise the cars do great stock. JUST GO!
These cars are designed to just drive on the track with no mods, it's even marketed to do that. Braking is the most important since on local tracks you don't need speed you need handling and braking.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:58 AM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,183 Times in 6,838 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbrz View Post
As other have hinted, letting a newby out on a track without an instructor is irresponsible. People crash cars and get killed. Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you can drive fast. Particularly at tracks like Road Atlanta. You need an instructor for safety and to improve your driving skills. I learned something new from every instructor. People are in a hurry to drive solo, but hold out. You will continue improving your skills for years if your ego doesn't get in the way.
Very few people are willing to actually hire a professional instructor. Pro instruction is not cheap, but it is well worth the money.

Now, that being said, even an experienced driver/volunteer instructor sitting shotgun is far, far better than nothing.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #13
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
C. Ride along with said instructor (especially if he drives what some would qualify as a 'shitbox') and realize you're a long way from driving at your car's potential
My favorite! My second HPDE my instructor took me out in his 2001-ish Hyundai Accent hatchback. Only mods were the leaking power steering, which was removed. The way he made that turd dance will forever be etched in my brain!
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BatStig For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-22-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 04:37 AM   #14
SoCalArgento

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Nice video!
Any one have any recommendations to any good organizations for first time track drivers here in SoCal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote