follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #239
hamlet

Drives: blue brz, silver R8 5.2, orange s2K
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Awesome opinion my man! Can you tell us why it needs 50HP more from the factory? How is it lacking in daily driving that you can't accomplish everything you need to do? I just did a 30km highway jaunt today with my car today, and had no issues keeping up with or passing people. Drop a gear or two and you're gone. Or is it an ego thing? Is that why it needs the power?
A car isn't always about "need", especially a sports car. A prius keeps up and can pass people on the highway, too, but I don't want one. For a car that is marketed at the emotional aspect of driving, it is underpowered. Before I supercharged mine I was always frustrated when I accelerated, wanting more. There's no ego involved, as the joy of having that extra power has nothing to do with passing anyone else. Now my car is supercharged and it has 80hp more than what it had stock. It's PERFECT. I don't need any more power than it that. It's still not a "fast" car, as 280hp still will get beat at the drag strip by many cars, but I don't care. Most people don't have the time, money, or experience to know how to go down the aftermarket FI route, so the factory should solve the issue.
hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #240
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
A car isn't always about "need", especially a sports car. A prius keeps up and can pass people on the highway, too, but I don't want one. For a car that is marketed at the emotional aspect of driving, it is underpowered. Before I supercharged mine I was always frustrated when I accelerated, wanting more. There's no ego involved, as the joy of having that extra power has nothing to do with passing anyone else. Now my car is supercharged and it has 80hp more than what it had stock. It's PERFECT. I don't need any more power than it that. It's still not a "fast" car, as 280hp still will get beat at the drag strip by many cars, but I don't care. Most people don't have the time, money, or experience to know how to go down the aftermarket FI route, so the factory should solve the issue.
I think you're confusing problems (issues) with Tada's/Toyobaru's design goals for the car.

Absolute power was set at 200 WHP/150TQ. That amount wasn't enough for you, me, some forum goers and some members of the auto press, but for thousands of other buyers who enjoy the car stock, it is not a problem at all. 0-60 in the 6 second range is totally fine for hooning around the street and breaking loose low-grip stock tires at sane speeds.

Being able to load up and loosen 200-300 TW tires with 250 WHP is a personal goal of some of us. Toyobaru determined this should be solved by the aftermarket. In our cases, it was. Plan worked. It sounds to me like the designers would prefer to "add lightness" than 50-80 more whp.

One off concepts like this shooting brake are usually made to see how the public reacts to them. We'll see how all that lands.

Last edited by DAEMANO; 05-18-2016 at 03:02 PM.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Blokatos (05-19-2016), Cole (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #241
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Were your lap times suffering because of "only" 200hp? Funny that I have no issues with acceleration. Probably because that's not what this car is made for, but you know better than the engineers and designers of this car.

Did you want to go fast in a straight line? If so, there are multiple other cars better suited to this.

Another funny story, is that a friend of mine goes faster around a track in his near stock FRS (FP and tune, plus, it's an AT) than another local does in his turbo charged FRS. Maybe the problem/wants/needs with your car have less to do with the car and they lie with something else.

Edit: not to mention, with more power/turbo/supercharger from the factory, costs go up and then the target market can't afford the car. But, power was never what the twins were about. More about dat feel when you hit dat apex tho
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #242
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,392 Times in 4,818 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Were your lap times suffering because of "only" 200hp? Funny that I have no issues with acceleration. Probably because that's not what this car is made for, but you know better than the engineers and designers of this car.

Did you want to go fast in a straight line? If so, there are multiple other cars better suited to this.

Another funny story, is that a friend of mine goes faster around a track in his near stock FRS (FP and tune, plus, it's an AT) than another local does in his turbo charged FRS. Maybe the problem/wants/needs with your car have less to do with the car and they lie with something else.
Mustang GT $32k 400ft/lbs TQ... dollar for TQ is great. (Corners like a pig but eh you know who cares about speed exiting the turn)..

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #243
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Mustang GT $32k 400ft/lbs TQ... dollar for TQ is great. (Corners like a pig but eh you know who cares about speed exiting the turn)..

It actually doesn't handle that poorly though. It's a whole lot more car, and only a bit of a sacrifice in handling versus the twins. The ecoboost is actually on my short list of next cars to consider once I'm out of my FRS.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #244
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,392 Times in 4,818 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It actually doesn't handle that poorly though. It's a whole lot more car, and only a bit of a sacrifice in handling versus the twins. The ecoboost is actually on my short list of next cars to consider once I'm out of my FRS.
I test drove one. The body roll was real. I was comfortable at about 2/3 the speed of the BRZ in the same exact turn. The TQ definitely put a smile on my face though. Great for drag racing.

p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #245
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I think you're confusing problems (issues) with Tada's/Toyobaru's design goals for the car.

Absolute power was set at 200 WHP/150TQ.
except it's not 200 WHP, it's 200 hp at the crank.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #246
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I test drove one. The body roll was real. I was comfortable at about 2/3 the speed of the BRZ in the same exact turn. The TQ definitely put a smile on my face though. Great for drag racing.

Kind of the point I'm making

It's not a bad option by any means. You just need to have realistic expectations. Haven't driven or been a passenger in an ecoboost yet, and I'm sure expecting it to handle better than the GT. Which is cool, I'm totally willing to sacrifice a bit of handling for more power, comfort and features.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #247
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
except it's not 200 WHP, it's 200 hp at the crank.....
Typo man, BHP, not WHP.

The internet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-18-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #248
hamlet

Drives: blue brz, silver R8 5.2, orange s2K
Quote:

Edit: not to mention, with more power/turbo/supercharger from the factory, costs go up and then the target market can't afford the car. But, power was never what the twins were about. More about dat feel when you hit dat apex tho
So you're trolling me. OK. Fine. Did I mention lap times? I'm glad you enjoy your 200hp version of the Fr-S. I like mine better with 280hp. Like I said, it isn't an ego thing and I don't mind being passed by other faster cars. I would argue that more of these cars would sell with a bit more power. Not to go faster on the track, but because it's more fun to drive that way (in my opinion).
for what it's worth, I never tracked it pre-SC so I have no basis for comparison but I doubt that I'm a good enough driver to make much of a difference in my lap time either way
hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #249
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,495 Times in 5,008 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Being able to load up and loosen 200-300 TW tires with 250 WHP is a personal goal of some of us.

So my OEM car has 250whp because I can slide around on my 245 RE71Rs just as easily as I did on the stock Michelin's? Guess I got a secret TRD prototype that slipped out of the factory.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-18-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #250
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

So my OEM car has 250whp because I can slide around on my 245 RE71Rs just as easily as I did on the stock Michelin's? Guess I got a secret TRD prototype that slipped out of the factory.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #251
FR-S Future Owner
Grand Touring Fan

Drives: 98 2.2L Camry, 87 2.0L Camry Wgn
Garage
ichitaka05,

When might we see a Shooting Brake version in the US? Thanks!

FR-S Future Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Future Owner For This Useful Post:
Guff (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #252
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Future Owner View Post
ichitaka05,

When might we see a Shooting Brake version in the US? Thanks!

My guess is between don't hold your breath and never.
Still just a concept even for those places that would be more likely to get it. I will give you good odds it never even sees production.
Cole (05-24-2016), funwheeldrive (05-24-2016), Guff (05-24-2016)