follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2016, 05:03 AM   #2885
DeaconRoc

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm looking to get a roll centre correction kit. The two options I have are the whiteline kit and a summit racing kit. I've added pictures below showing the difference between the two. The summit kit is bigger and chunkier so I believe it will correct for more of a drop and be more robust. It's also over twice the price. My question is is it worth it? Will the summit kit being bigger and chunkier be worth the over double cost?

Summit left, whiteline right:-

Appreciate any feedback I can get.
DeaconRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #2886
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconRoc View Post
I'm looking to get a roll centre correction kit. The two options I have are the whiteline kit and a summit racing kit. I've added pictures below showing the difference between the two. The summit kit is bigger and chunkier so I believe it will correct for more of a drop and be more robust. It's also over twice the price. My question is is it worth it? Will the summit kit being bigger and chunkier be worth the over double cost?

Summit left, whiteline right:-

Appreciate any feedback I can get.
Angled one is legit much beefier too. Not sure why Whiteline made theirs straight...

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:41 AM   #2887
DeaconRoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Angled one is legit much beefier too. Not sure why Whiteline made theirs straight...
Yeah being angled should help with more correction ss I understand it - worth over double though?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #2888
solidONE

Quote:
Yeah being angled should help with more correction ss I understand it - worth over double though?
I suppose it would depend on how much you plan on lowering your car and what you're planning to do with it. Though it does sound quite expensive.

Here's just from looking at the 2 tie rod ends.

Whiteline: Aside from the slightly longer stud on the ball joint it appears to be nearly the same as the factory tie rod.

Summit: The entire assembly looks to be thicker and possibly stronger than the factory or whiteline unit. Also, the ball joint location is shifted upward rather than just a lengthened stud on the ball joint to account for the geometry changed due to lowering. I'm sure if you emailed the company producing this part they will tell you all about why this is superior to their competitors lower priced part.

Is it worth double the cost, which is probably north of $400USD for the set? I'd think it will really depend on what you are trying to do and how you've set up your car. Is it slammed? Do you beat on it so hard that you'd benefit from a part like this (drifting)? What is the warranty being offered?

Last edited by solidONE; 05-01-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:41 AM   #2889
DeaconRoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I suppose it would depend on how much you plan on lowering your car and what you're planning to do with it. Though it does sound quite expensive.

Here's just from looking at the 2 tie rod ends.

Whiteline: Aside from the slightly longer stud on the ball joint it appears to be nearly the same as the factory tie rod.

Summit: The entire assembly looks to be thicker and possibly stronger than the factory or whiteline unit. Also, the ball joint location is shifted upward rather than just a lengthened stud on the ball joint to account for the geometry changed due to lowering. I'm sure if you emailed the company producing this part they will tell you all about why this is superior to their competitors lower priced part.

Is it worth double the cost, which is probably north of $400USD for the set? I'd think it will really depend on what you are trying to do and how you've set up your car. Is it slammed? Do you beat on it so hard that you'd benefit from a part like this (drifting)? What is the warranty being offered?
I'm lowered between about 40 and 50mm. I use the car for a daily driver, fast road and sprinting. I do around 6 events per year usually. The warranty is the same on both - 1 year.

The whiteline kit is around $250 and the summit kit around $550.

I can see that the summit kit is better but I can't work out whether it's overkill for my use and so not worth the cost?

Last edited by DeaconRoc; 05-02-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #2890
solidONE

Quote:
I'm lowered between about 40 and 50mm. I use the car for a daily driver, fast road and sprinting. I do around 6 events per year usually. The warranty is the same on both - 1 year.

The whiteline kit is around $250 and the summit kit around $550.

I can see that the summit kit is better but I can't work out whether it's overkill for my use and so not worth the cost?
It's probably a good idea to ask the specs on the 2 kits. I'm sure there is range each kit is designed for. Then you can decide if it worthwhile.

The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
DeaconRoc (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #2891
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,310 Times in 2,985 Posts
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Never seen the Summit roll center kit...neat. Do they have specs on how far they relocate the balljoint?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 AM   #2892
DeaconRoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Never seen the Summit roll center kit...neat. Do they have specs on how far they relocate the balljoint?

- Andrew
I have emailed to ask for specs. I'll update with any info I get.

From the looks of it would you agree the summit kit should do a better job than the whiteline kit Andrew and be worth the extra cost?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #2893
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
I have emailed to ask for specs. I'll update with any info I get.

From the looks of it would you agree the summit kit should do a better job than the whiteline kit Andrew and be worth the extra cost?
It certainly does look beefier. Do you have a side shot of the WL and Summit balljoints (not tie rod ends) next to each other?

- Andrew
Old 05-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #2894
DeaconRoc

Quote:
It certainly does look beefier. Do you have a side shot of the WL and Summit balljoints (not tie rod ends) next to each other?

- Andrew
Only the two pictures I posted I'm afraid.

I think I am leaning towards the summit kit as it does look like it'll take more abuse and correct more for the amount I'm lowered. The price is the big sticking point though - I am struggling a little with it being worth over twice the price of the whiteline kit and whether it will be overkill for fast road use and the 6 days of sprints I do.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:43 AM   #2895
DeaconRoc

Quote:

- Andrew
I managed to get a picture of the two ball joints side by side:-

I know it's only based on the pictures but would you recommend the summit kit over the whiteline considering the price difference Andrew?
The Following User Says Thank You to DeaconRoc For This Useful Post:
solidONE (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #2896
Racecomp Engineering

If you're lowered a lot, then yes it would make a more noticeable difference. I can't tell you if it's worth the extra money though.

- Anrew
Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #2897
DeaconRoc

Quote:
If you're lowered a lot, then yes it would make a more noticeable difference. I can't tell you if it's worth the extra money though.

- Anrew
I'm lowered around 40mm. Although my wallet says no I think everything is pointing to the summit kit as the one to go for.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #2898
solidONE

Quote:
I'm lowered around 40mm. Although my wallet says no I think everything is pointing to the summit kit as the one to go for.
If you really don't want to spend that money and want eliminate some of the bumpsteer or correct roll center... you can always raise the car a bit too. lol

edit: @DeaconRoc any word on the specs of the Summit kit?

Last edited by solidONE; 05-06-2016 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
DeaconRoc (05-05-2016), Racecomp Engineering (05-04-2016)