follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

Register and become an FT86Club.com member. You will see fewer ads

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #99
FT_86_SM_GP
Senior Member
 
FT_86_SM_GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Lawn moweR
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 549
Thanks: 690
Thanked 370 Times in 210 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Super photo of the two black 86's and nice videos, thanks.

I assume that you guys know that your Michelin Cup race number is on the number plate cover-ups, and if one uses the Michelin Cup website, it's easy to match race numbers to names...
Just sayin'
I am indifferent, but for the safety and privacy of LostSalad, updated!
Thank you Sir
Name:  12998644_1538788103084006_2917273522160325781_n (1).jpg
Views: 379
Size:  207.1 KB
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #100
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member
 
Fish Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Location: Nelspruit, South Africa
Posts: 1,217
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
I am indifferent, but for the safety and privacy of LostSalad, updated!
Thank you Sir
Attachment 135855
Oh wow, I actually wasn't meaning this forum, but at events, and there's nothing anyone can do about it because you have to display your number there, and the info's on the web, so if anyone really wants to find out, they can.

BTW, I'm totally indifferent too.
My outlook is - if you can't accept the consequences, then don't do it, and trying to hide the true facts is fraud.
__________________
Fish Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #101
FT_86_SM_GP
Senior Member
 
FT_86_SM_GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Lawn moweR
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 549
Thanks: 690
Thanked 370 Times in 210 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
I've entered, and I'm really looking forward to this event.

If you think Red Star's hard work with 13 corners in 4.2 kms, then consider that VKC's got 14 corners in 1.1 kms!!
That really suits me and my car well, so I'm hoping for a good result, and I'd love to get another class win.

I'm going to drive up on Saturday, put in some track time at Midvaal in the afternoon, and stay with my son who lives in Meyerton.

As I understand it, there's minimal warm-up and practice time.
We each get 4 runs, 2 clockwise and 2 anti-clockwise, each run consisting of a warm-up lap, two timed laps, and a cool-down lap.

Which means that you must start warming up your car at least 5 mins before the start, and you'll be caning it on cold tyres.

Search YouTube for Carl van As's videos from last year, they're titled Michelin Cup round 2 session 1, and session 2 and here's what the track looks like
I plan on doing some research on this track,

It looks very compact, I wonder if suspension should be set up for less over steer,

Eg. Decrease camber at the rear (Or increase 'negative camber') to get less oversteer....
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #102
LostSalad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Toyota 86 - Charcoal Grey
Location: South Africa
Posts: 193
Thanks: 110
Thanked 95 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Super photo of the two black 86's and nice videos, thanks.

I assume that you guys know that your Michelin Cup race number is on the number plate cover-ups, and if one uses the Michelin Cup website, it's easy to match race numbers to names...
Just sayin'
**sigh** just can't win hey.... well, too late now! They always want your Michelin Cup # on the side windows as well, so it's a bit hard to participate and not have this problem . I think I need to pop the rivots on my license plate so I can just remove them properly...

Thanks for posting up the comparison times @FT_86_SM_GP! Didn't Riel manage to break into the 14's though? That's what we heard after his first run....

LostSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #103
LostSalad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Toyota 86 - Charcoal Grey
Location: South Africa
Posts: 193
Thanks: 110
Thanked 95 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
I've entered, and I'm really looking forward to this event.

If you think Red Star's hard work with 13 corners in 4.2 kms, then consider that VKC's got 14 corners in 1.1 kms!!
That really suits me and my car well, so I'm hoping for a good result, and I'd love to get another class win.

I'm going to drive up on Saturday, put in some track time at Midvaal in the afternoon, and stay with my son who lives in Meyerton.

As I understand it, there's minimal warm-up and practice time.
We each get 4 runs, 2 clockwise and 2 anti-clockwise, each run consisting of a warm-up lap, two timed laps, and a cool-down lap.

Which means that you must start warming up your car at least 5 mins before the start, and you'll be caning it on cold tyres.

Search YouTube for Carl van As's videos from last year, they're titled Michelin Cup round 2 session 1, and session 2 and here's what the track looks like
That looks super twisty - time for the 86 to shine . I'm just worried that my stock engine won't put out enough torque to haul ass out of the corners. I have a feeling that the cornering speeds I can achieve on street tyres will mean a serious rev drop in 2nd... but 1st will probably be too short and aggressive (instability / oversteer).

16 laps total in the day? It's time to pay attention and adapt quickly......
LostSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #104
FT_86_SM_GP
Senior Member
 
FT_86_SM_GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Lawn moweR
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 549
Thanks: 690
Thanked 370 Times in 210 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Round 5 - Vereeniging Kart Circuit

Had a fun driving experience on the Go Kart Track yesterday,

Great atmosphere, healthy competition, and relatively clean venue/facilities.

It was the first time i've been on a Go Kart track, so didn't do anything crazy,
Eg. Try to cut corners etc like the pro's (In the Scoobies)

1.140km | 14 Corners | Bumpy track | Cool Temps

We were allowed 1 warm up lap, and 2/3 hot laps per session
(Approx 4 laps per session)

We ended up doing 3 sessions Clockwise and 2 sessions counter clockwise for the day.

Here's some footage of my laps,
(I am struggling with white balance on my GoPro, excuse the poor visibility)

(Clockwise Session 3, Hot Lap 2)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4f0B7PSZk"]Michelin Cup ZA 2016 - VKC Clockwise Toyota 86 - white balance at 5500k - YouTube[/ame]

(Counter Clockwise Session 1, Hot Lap 2)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMxvX6n85sE"]Toyota 86 - Michelin Cup ZA - VKC - Counter Clockwise - YouTube[/ame]

My best times for the day were:

Clockwise 1:00.804
Counter Clockwise 1:01.827

I was nervous for this event, as I was fearful of spinning out due to our cars naturally oversteering, (given this tight track)

In terms of preparation for this event, I did the following:

1) Wheel alignment done at SupaQuick Menlyn
The technician(Hein) was knowledgeable and experienced with the 86,
(Hein used to work at Autoquip Centurion, don't waste your time going to Autoquip Centurion, their current technician changed my front camber from -1.2 to -1.2....I told him that's not a change...and he referred me to Hein at SupaQuick Menlyn),

Hein managed to set up my camber at the Front at -1.4deg
0.05deg toe
Rear camber at -2deg (I have rear adjustable control arms)
(I made my rear -2 ,to counter act a little oversteer)

2) Polyurethane bushings and mounts
Went for a check up with Lee Irving on Saturday morning,
Got a few more polyurethane bushing inserts, and made sure my LSD bushings / mounts were secure and tight,

3) Changed from Nitrogen to Oxygen
I initially had my Toyo R888's fitted at Mintys Rosebank, who filled it with Nitrogen, and maintained it that way.

As a noob, I learn't that Nitrogen takes longer to warm up (Although it gives you better mileage etc). So I ended up going to a tyre shop and having then remove the Nitrogen and add good old oxygen.

4) New stickers (Michelin Cup Race number)
Picked up these bad boy stickers from a bike store "86"
The spacing and alignment wasn't the best, but it does the job, lol
Name:  13102685_1543759139253569_3618595650556203271_n.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  62.7 KB



During the morning session, my tyres only kinda heated up on my second hot lap, but it did the job.

I also monitored the pressure and kept it around 1.8bar all round

I had a close battle with my class competitor Wikus, who runs an incredible handling Caddy,

I beat him in the first round (clockwise) and he beat me in the second round (Counter clockwise), so it was down to the difference between the round , and I ended up winning overall by approx 0:00.400 (Down to fractions of a second!)
Who needs to watch Formula 1, when you have an action packed day at the Michelin Cup

But damn, I watched the highlights of the Russian GP, entertaining! lol
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #105
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member
 
Fish Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Location: Nelspruit, South Africa
Posts: 1,217
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
Had a fun driving experience on the Go Kart Track yesterday,

Great atmosphere, healthy competition, and relatively clean venue/facilities.

It was the first time i've been on a Go Kart track, so didn't do anything crazy,
Eg. Try to cut corners etc like the pro's (In the Scoobies)

1.140km | 14 Corners | Bumpy track | Cool Temps

We were allowed 1 warm up lap, and 2/3 hot laps per session
(Approx 4 laps per session)

We ended up doing 3 sessions Clockwise and 2 sessions counter clockwise for the day.

Here's some footage of my laps,
(I am struggling with white balance on my GoPro, excuse the poor visibility)

(Clockwise Session 3, Hot Lap 2)


(Counter Clockwise Session 1, Hot Lap 2)


My best times for the day were:

Clockwise 1:00.804
Counter Clockwise 1:01.827

I was nervous for this event, as I was fearful of spinning out due to our cars naturally oversteering, (given this tight track)

In terms of preparation for this event, I did the following:

1) Wheel alignment done at SupaQuick Menlyn
The technician(Hein) was knowledgeable and experienced with the 86,
(Hein used to work at Autoquip Centurion, don't waste your time going to Autoquip Centurion, their current technician changed my front camber from -1.2 to -1.2....I told him that's not a change...and he referred me to Hein at SupaQuick Menlyn),

Hein managed to set up my camber at the Front at -1.4deg
0.05deg toe
Rear camber at -2deg (I have rear adjustable control arms)
(I made my rear -2 ,to counter act a little oversteer)

2) Polyurethane bushings and mounts
Went for a check up with Lee Irving on Saturday morning,
Got a few more polyurethane bushing inserts, and made sure my LSD bushings / mounts were secure and tight,

3) Changed from Nitrogen to Oxygen
I initially had my Toyo R888's fitted at Mintys Rosebank, who filled it with Nitrogen, and maintained it that way.

As a noob, I learn't that Nitrogen takes longer to warm up (Although it gives you better mileage etc). So I ended up going to a tyre shop and having then remove the Nitrogen and add good old oxygen.

4) New stickers (Michelin Cup Race number)
Picked up these bad boy stickers from a bike store "86"
The spacing and alignment wasn't the best, but it does the job, lol
Attachment 136405



During the morning session, my tyres only kinda heated up on my second hot lap, but it did the job.

I also monitored the pressure and kept it around 1.8bar all round

I had a close battle with my class competitor Wikus, who runs an incredible handling Caddy,

I beat him in the first round (clockwise) and he beat me in the second round (Counter clockwise), so it was down to the difference between the round , and I ended up winning overall by approx 0:00.400 (Down to fractions of a second!)
Who needs to watch Formula 1, when you have an action packed day at the Michelin Cup

But damn, I watched the highlights of the Russian GP, entertaining! lol
Well done Shiren, you drove like a ninja yesterday.
I've said it before - you've come so far so quickly!!

Oh, and he won his class, again Whoop, whoop!!
__________________
Fish Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #106
LostSalad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Drives: Toyota 86 - Charcoal Grey
Location: South Africa
Posts: 193
Thanks: 110
Thanked 95 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
My best times for the day were:

Clockwise 1:00.804
Counter Clockwise 1:01.827
Let me just emphasise this right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
I was nervous for this event, as I was fearful of spinning out due to our cars naturally oversteering, (given this tight track)
Strangely enough, I was worried about understeer. People looked at me funny when I told them that (because of the nature of our cars). But I have a tendency to brake too late or try and carry too much speed through corners (and get on the power too early). Add a low-grip surface to the mix and it's like trying to corner hard on the skidpan (minus the antics).

Driving on such a confined track is REALLY educational! The amount of car dynamics at play in such a short space of time is just great
LostSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:16 AM   #107
sav
Official anti-BS squad
 
sav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,368
Thanks: 379
Thanked 453 Times in 310 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
The technician(Hein) was knowledgeable and experienced with the 86
Thanks for the heads up. Been using Hein for years and he's simply brilliant.
__________________
Toyota 86 High 6MT (Satin Pearl White)
95RON SAV Tuned
sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #108
FT_86_SM_GP
Senior Member
 
FT_86_SM_GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Lawn moweR
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 549
Thanks: 690
Thanked 370 Times in 210 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Been using Hein for years and he's simply brilliant.
He is passionate about what he does, and what he does, he does very very well.

He went ahead and added positive Toe at the front and rear of my car, which made it a little more stable, given my specific application around a go kart track, (He also gave me the technical break down and science behind it, which was very impressive).

Other suspension shops (Autoquip Fourways) could only take my front camber to -1.2deg , and he manages to take to -1.4deg (Without drilling etc)


He spent just under an hour setting up my wheel alignment, but I felt a noticeable difference after driving it, and it gave me confidence around the tight bends.
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #109
sav
Official anti-BS squad
 
sav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,368
Thanks: 379
Thanked 453 Times in 310 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Yep, had some long chats with him - he studies the mechanics and physics behind the various settings in his spare time.

Same thing on my Forester - after installing the coilovers and raising it a bit, it had a ton of positive camber at the back. -1 after he was finished.

I'm running 0 toe on the 86 btw and more camber front than rear. Suits my needs and preference. I can confirm that it's stable at >220 on a private test track.
__________________
Toyota 86 High 6MT (Satin Pearl White)
95RON SAV Tuned
sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #110
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member
 
Fish Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Location: Nelspruit, South Africa
Posts: 1,217
Thanks: 621
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
...on a private test track.
Really???
Attached Images
 
__________________
Fish Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #111
FT_86_SM_GP
Senior Member
 
FT_86_SM_GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Lawn moweR
Location: Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 549
Thanks: 690
Thanked 370 Times in 210 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Watching Wayne Hay drive around VKC was a special sight,
He drove incredibly fast, while keeping smooth and precise


He was doing 55sec laps from session 1, crazy driving skill
And won the day overall as the fastest driver

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21n7UfEgj5s"]Vereeniging Kart Circuit Michelin cup 2016 - YouTube[/ame]
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:35 AM   #112
sav
Official anti-BS squad
 
sav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,368
Thanks: 379
Thanked 453 Times in 310 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Really???
__________________
Toyota 86 High 6MT (Satin Pearl White)
95RON SAV Tuned
sav is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
86EXPO 2015 Beers & Boxers August 14th, 2015 Events@Ptuning Mid-Atlantic 24 07-26-2016 11:18 AM
86 and parts for sale - Gauteng Matt_RSA AFRICA 9 06-18-2014 11:21 AM
Nissan to enter 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans + 2015 FIA WEC mav1178 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 1 05-23-2014 10:47 PM
Where to get springs in Gauteng? Moe AFRICA 5 01-12-2014 03:35 PM
BRZ owners in Gauteng? Scoobydude AFRICA 11 10-27-2013 05:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.