follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
An interesting warranty experience.

I'm not sure why i'm making this thread now (since this happened 6 months ago) but it just hit me how weird this experience at the dealer was.

So like most early '13 model's, I had the infamous rear deck rattle where you have to take apart the entire C-pillar and remove the rear deck just to get access to it. I also happened to have a broken third brake light casing due to the previous owner tinting the back window and whoever did the tint broke the casing. So I specifically tell the dealership that the rattle is NOT coming from the broken brake light casing but from the rear deck.

Lo' and behold, when I go retrieve my car what do I see? A brand new 3rd brake light casing. Wasn't even mad because that thing should have never been covered under warranty and I was actually happy they fixed it.

So has anyone else ever had anything that SHOULDN'T have been covered under warranty covered? Oh, I also still have the stinking rear deck rattle.
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Waiting for someone to chime in with blown FI motor that was replaced under warranty, along with transmission .

Wouldn't that be nice.

Cool story, they might have covered that out of goodwill and due to this being a safety thing with the third break light.
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to df.dima For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Freetime

Drives: Raven Manual FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
I'm not sure why i'm making this thread now (since this happened 6 months ago) but it just hit me how weird this experience at the dealer was.

So like most early '13 model's, I had the infamous rear deck rattle where you have to take apart the entire C-pillar and remove the rear deck just to get access to it. I also happened to have a broken third brake light casing due to the previous owner tinting the back window and whoever did the tint broke the casing. So I specifically tell the dealership that the rattle is NOT coming from the broken brake light casing but from the rear deck.

Lo' and behold, when I go retrieve my car what do I see? A brand new 3rd brake light casing. Wasn't even mad because that thing should have never been covered under warranty and I was actually happy they fixed it.

So has anyone else ever had anything that SHOULDN'T have been covered under warranty covered? Oh, I also still have the stinking rear deck rattle.
soo... you're saying they DIDN'T do the rear deck rattle fix, they just replaced your third brake light. Just like you told them wasn't the problem. Sounds like you got the shaft cause they didn't want to do the work.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freetime For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
soo... you're saying they DIDN'T do the rear deck rattle fix, they just replaced your third brake light. Just like you told them wasn't the problem. Sounds like you got the shaft cause they didn't want to do the work.
Yep that's what I am thinking. I bet they just fixed the 3rd brake light as a scapegoat instead of taking the time to pull apart the rear deck. Looking at the DIY fix, it seems pretty straight forward but time consuming.

Buttt what confuses me the most is that in order to replace to 3rd brake light casing, you have to pull apart the rear deck anyways ... sooo WTF?!
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
Yep that's what I am thinking. I bet they just fixed the 3rd brake light as a scapegoat instead of taking the time to pull apart the rear deck. Looking at the DIY fix, it seems pretty straight forward but time consuming.

Buttt what confuses me the most is that in order to replace to 3rd brake light casing, you have to pull apart the rear deck anyways ... sooo WTF?!
Actually the third brake light can slide right out lol. Unless it's the three legs....

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote