follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #183
barney

Drives: 91 mx5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First off - way to man up neutral! I haven't read the whole thread through so forgive me if my opinion has already been expressed by others. I grew up on RWD my kids haven't. I've let them drive my roadster and their first impressions were how responsive (twitchy) it was - no ABS no TCS, no stability control. There is a whole generation (or two) of drivers that have no idea what a GOOD handling RWD car feels like. At the end of the day - you're OK- and that's what's important. Perhaps a little damaged in area of pride but we've all been there. I was involved in a wreck a few years ago - wasn't my fault - but what I remember most about it was the my conversation with the firefighter at the scene. He asked me what year my car was - I told him. He replied that it was in excellent shape and that I must have been pissed. I responded "no - its just a car - I'll get another..."
The Following User Says Thank You to barney For This Useful Post:
SVTSHC (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #184
mkxr

Drives: honda fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I wonder when the NHTSA and IIHS are gonna test this car b/c that does not look like a 15-25mph collision. If it was, this is a pretty shitty built car as far as crashing is concerned.
Keep in mind that front end of the car met with a pole, instead of a wall or another car, so all of the force was concentrated in a smaller area. Physics is a bi**h sometimes,
The Following User Says Thank You to mkxr For This Useful Post:
RRnold (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #185
ChrisH

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. I must've hit the clutch pedal at some point because the car was still running when I stopped. Both airbags deployed. My passenger said he didn't even touch the airbag, I grazed it a little bit and it felt like I got hit in the face with a soft pillow. I must've been going 15-20mph at the impact. I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.

I'm 24 years old, been driving since 16, and this is my first accident/ticket. I was ticketed for "failure to maintain reasonable control", which honestly was extremely generous given the circumstances. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete ass out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.
Hi Neutral,

relax, a car can be replaced. So good to hear that you are o.k.

I am not very concerned about you, as people like you, who understand their mistakes, will sure show a steep learning curve! I wrecked my fathers car many many years ago in the winter, and it helped my to become both, a careful and experienced sports driver. Because I want to be able to handle every situation in my car. And I don't want to wreck a car again.

I guess the pole that the car hit was standing at the INNER side of the corner, right? This would be typically for OVERsteer.
The main difference to FWD-understeer is, that you need to compensate it by active steering in the opposite direction.
This is - by the way - helpful, even if you never intend to drift or if you drive a FWD car, as it can happen to any car under certain circumstances.

See this little video from an Audi driver (yes, no RWD-BMW!), who get's surprised by oil on the road: the car oversteers! He reacts right by steering to the left, but he is a little too slow. When the car comes back to track he should quickly reduce the steering back to neutral, but he is a little to slow, too. Therefore the cars end swings over in the other side. Then the same again - until he finally manages to catch the car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqxbmOK3dwc"] - YouTube[/ame]

I would highly recommend to take time in next winter and look for a totally empty parking lot covered completely with snow and learn how to react on a rear axle loosing traction. This is at the same time learning how to drift a car - which is so much fun. And managing an oversteering car is absolutely necessary to become a good driver!
Actually I had written a little lecture how to take the first steps on snow - but unfortunately its all in German. (But I guess you don't speak German??)
Well, maybe someone here has something similar in English?

So, take it easy, shit happens. Start your way in a steep learning curve and become an experienced, careful, and very good driver!
ChrisH
Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #186
ChrisH

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkxr View Post
Keep in mind that front end of the car met with a pole, instead of a wall or another car, so all of the force was concentrated in a smaller area. Physics is a bi**h sometimes,
I agree, that's why it is so much more dangerous to hit a tree than another car.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #187
MrFRsLa

Drives: 2012 Camry SE, 95 Honda Civic
Garage
"I'm rollin hard, now under control
then wrapped the EIGHTY 6 round a telephone pole
i looked at ma car and i said "oh brother"
i'll throw it in the gutter and go buy another" -Eazy E
Old 06-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #188
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Glad to hear everyone's alright; sorry to hear that you had to learn a (RWD) lesson the hard way.

One thing; you've taken that corner a million times, how fast do you usually push it through there? (google maps?) Thats no 15mph bruise.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #189
Travis

Drives: FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
1st 86!.....wrecked....

On a more serious note stop being babies over turning traction control off. It is a performance car and people will drive them as they are designed to be driven. Props to neutral for manning up and accepting it. I guarantee you there will many more of these in near future
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #190
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Dear OP,

Please stick to FWD.
-- Niki Lauda
The Following User Says Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
feedbag (06-18-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #191
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Hear that sound? It's all of our insurance premiums going up..
Let the first person who has NEVER done anything foolish or stupid cast the first stone...

That must be you Dionysus.

Last edited by DEC1; 06-16-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #192
jesseps

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
Sucks that that happened. At least you are fine. This is my first RWD car also and I am never turning off the VSC/TRAC, until I learn how to properly handle the car. One thing, I am dreading is winter, I just hope the SNOW option on the FR-S does work properly.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #193
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
Honestly, the negative comments don't bother me. I expected nothing but hate from this thread, so the fact that most of the comments seem to be coming from real humans is insanely uplifting for me. It's so easy for people to type hateful things from the safety of their computer monitors. I look forward to meeting some of you "real" people out there in the future. You guys are some seriously cool people. Thanks everyone...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neutral For This Useful Post:
MrFRsLa (06-16-2012), TuxedoCartman (06-16-2012), YukiHachiRoku (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #194
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkxr View Post
Yeah that's true and you can see the residue from the utility pole indicating where most of the impact occurred. I just saw a 40mph crash test so the amount of damage does make sense.

However, I still believe the FR-S/GT86 is a bit on the fragile side.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scRlPmBU4Ik"]New86 turbo D1GP Crash Debut #lovecars #D1GP #drifting #GT86 #FR-S - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #195
Davyator

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No worries

Don't feel bad. It could have happened to anyone!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #196
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
You're not the first, and you will not be the last. When I was 19 I wrecked a 1993 twin turbo RX-7 at 90 mph and almost died (thank God the car impacted from on the rear from a 720*spin and crumpled like an acrodrion)
You don't realize how lucky you are. Just after high school there were a couple of guys 1 year ahead of me who went hauling ass around town in a '93 RX-7 while running from a cop.

They took a corner too fast, swiped a truck and spun out into a lightpole...the car burst into flames and burned both occupants to death. The parents of the cars owner sued the shit out of Mazda claiming it shouldn't have combusted as easily as it did.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (06-16-2012)

Closed Thread