follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #57
smudge

Drives: Supercharged GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Mapping wasn't as we'd hoped. Issues with the MAP sensor not liking the Sprintex/ECUTEK setup which is the same for the boys in the States so ECUTEK are looking into that for Mark, and the IAT's are very, very high even on a 15 second dyno run
I've got the car back for a show tomorrow at Brands Hatch so I spent the day giving her a well needed clean

Mark has worked some great magic so far and I've got a decent map with 7000krpm to play with. The drive home was just insane. Pulls like an absolute train and triple digit speeds come far quicker than I expected

But then back to Mark Monday for some more tweaking before we release a final number, but it may not be what we were hoping for...yet
smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #58
smudge

Time for an update

So as with the other thread I put up explaining the demise of my FA20, we suffered a small end failure with the HKS Stroker kit on piston 4 which caused the rod to windmill round inside the crank case and just destroy everything

After all this, I quickly fell out of love with the Boxer engine and began to look at alternatives. It seemed like the right time to do some research on V8's which has always been a dream of mine to put into the 86.

After lusting after an LS engine swap for ages, I came to the conclusion that I just couldn't justify putting another £20,000 into the car when I can use a 1UZ engine from Lexus which is a strong, reliable block that can give really good numbers with some forced induction.

So I started to work out how much I could sell all my engine parts for and it worked out almost exactly what I needed to complete a supercharged 1UZ swap *I'll be using the services of Nev at Driftmoto right next to Brands Hatch who has a wealth of knowledge putting these engines into various cars. Here's 1 that he's built for his drift Corolla, currently running around 800bhp on ITB's

We'll be developing a kit with Rotrex so that will keep costs down while we essentially do the R&D for a "bolt on" supercharger kit for the 1UZ engine. This should boost it to around 400bhp+ which is plenty for the little 86 *

I've been struggling to move some of the more expensive parts such as the Sprintex 335 supercharger and HKS Stroker kit, but things look to be just about falling into place *finger's crossed!

On the subject of HKS, Mark at Abbey Motorsport has been absolutely superb in talking with Maz and HKS to get a resolution that suits me. We have agreed to a replacement stroker kit which will be sold brand new to someone along with the cams. HKS were also discussing giving me a replacement crank case but this would obviously be useless to me now so they have very kindly agreed to compensate me for part of the cost of the crank case, to go towards my new project. I really can't thank Mark, Maz and HKS enough for helping me get the perfect resolution to this difficult situation!

The next few months will be spent getting everything sorted for the 1UZ swap. First thing is to send the block off to the blasters to get soda-blasted down and painted to make it look nice and neat. Then Nev and I will be spending most weekends getting it all put together and running.

Updates might be a bit slow during the install process simply due to the fact it's a completely custom project, but it'll be so worth it!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #59
smudge

I've been ITCHING to play with the car since she's been home, but haven't really had the time and the parts I do have to fit all came with an issue of some sort...

Finally got round to fitting my rails to my Sparco Circuit II bucket seat

I was ready to take the drivers seat out and put this in but remembered that Nev who is doing my V8 conversion is a rather large chap....he might get stuck! So I think I'll hold off on that

So I decided to fit my NRG steering wheel, quick release and hub, but realised that I'd ordered the wrong bloody hub!**it was too short to fit over the plug for the airbag on the clock spring, but @Tarmac*sorted me out by sending me the correct part! Such a gem
I sent the wheel off to be retrimmed in suede with purple stitching and I'm really please with the result*

And then installed it today, love how it matches the colour of the interior

It sticks out a fair bit further than the OEM wheel, but I like having it close to me when driving, especially on track. The steering rake is fully out towards me with this picture taken, so can adjust it to a nice distance

And then removed the wheel using the quick release so no one can nick it whilst the car is on my driveway

Engine and supercharger are finally finished. Rotrex took their sweet time making the charger which has delayed the whole project by nearly a month! Will be getting some pictures of all that next weekend
The Following User Says Thank You to smudge For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #60
smudge

Yesterday involves a 470mile round trip to see the guys in action at TSS and also collect one of my favourite mods for the car so far*

We originally ordered this towards the end of last year, only to be told that the mould wasn't right and it could take up 6 months for it to be rectified! So I got my money back and waited for updates. Gladly, Chris @ Tarmac Sportz*messaged me about 6 weeks ago, money was paid again and the waiting game began...I had to collect it from Chris as we didn't want to send it through the UK parcel network with it being such a large and fragile item - thankfully it's in PERFECT condition

AMS VIS Racing carbon bootlid*

Time for a test fit. Old boot off

New boot on

Absolutely LOVE it! Couple of shots from the same angles to compare before and after

Fitment is basically perfect, just a shame they forgot to cut the whole on the underside of the boot where the wiring grommet goes so I've got to find someone that can cut carbon nicely for me now, as I don't dare touch this with anything sharp!
Koj (04-05-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #61
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Crap, that was a brutal failure.

Can't fault you in the U; they seem to be really good engines, ligt for what they are too if I recall.

I so want that deck lid for my BRZ, it's perfect!
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #62
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Loving it. Your old supercharger is a tune away from running again.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dream20b For This Useful Post:
smudge (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #63
smudge

Ooooooh look what turned up today

Rotrex supercharger which should be pushing around 1bar of boost to the V8 for upwards of 450bhp! Next step is to bolt this onto the engine and start playing with pipework to find the best routes and space for this to fit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smudge For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (04-05-2016), Koj (04-05-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #64
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

which model is that? Cxx

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #65
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream20b View Post
which model is that? Cxx
Custom made dude
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #66
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Oh nice. Didn't know they did that!

Old 04-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #67
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream20b View Post
Oh nice. Didn't know they did that!
They do when you know the owner
Dream20b (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #68
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Very excited to see the finished product on the boot. Did you install a plate/lights to see how it looks?

I've been considering this option for a while.

Thanks!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #69
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Very excited to see the finished product on the boot. Did you install a plate/lights to see how it looks?

I've been considering this option for a while.

Thanks!
That was merely a test fit bud, keeping it safe and sound inside the house until the car is finished. I'd cry if anything happened to it while the V8 is being installed

We seem to be missing the plate that houses the button to open the boot which covers the lights etc so waiting for that to come as well
Old 04-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #70
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
They do when you know the owner
Plug life
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote