follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #309
6pack

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
My Rydeen Duo works with 6V, so it was really easy to hook up with SVXdc's simplest harness: RCA + 6V red wire. (no 12V needed, no relay)

As SVXdc says on page 6 on this thread:
"The Rydeen Duo and MINy cameras have dual taps on their power wire -- one near the camera and another near the HU... (click to read)"

David Carter's (SVXdc) excellent writeup:
http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16p-operation.htm

On the other hand, if you have a 12V only camera, than you'll probably need this good patch (12V + Relay) from http://autoharnesshouse.com/19867.html
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #310
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
Any thoughts on how [PAC Audio's CAM-TY11 harness] compares to the SVXdc harness?
I haven't seen one in person, but from various pictures around the 'net, theirs provides the CGND (ground) and +6V leads, like mine.

Pictures of the initial version of PAC's harness show they originally only passed through the parking brake signal from car to HU...

Name:  PAC CAM-TY11 old.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  61.2 KB Name:  PAC CAM-TY11 old 2.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  39.8 KB

(red lead with label). BTW, the core wire of their RCA cable is also red.

Later pics (like your Amazon link) show PAC's now passes through all of the other pins -- everything except for the 4 pins for the camera (RCA jack, CGND, and 6V).

BRZ and GT86 don't need all of those other leads passed through. Most FR-S models don't even need the parking brake pin connected.

On both versions, they don't ground the HU's parking brake input. You would want that if you also plan to do one of the VSS hacks to bypass the in-motion lockouts.

PAC's harnesses appear to have cheaper-quality Chinese shells and terminals (like autoharnesshouse's), where I'm using OEM-quality Japanese connector shells and terminals.

As 6pack suggested, if you choose a camera that works from 6V, it's easiest (and best) to simply power the camera from the HU's 6V lead.

If you have a camera that needs more than 6V, I think it's better to grab 12V from the car's Option Connector harness.

One of these days, I'll work out a circuit you could use for a solid-state switch (transistor) instead of a relay.

ADDED: I forgot to mention: PAC's instructions say "no reverse trigger is needed." That's true for BRZ and GT86, but not correct for FR-S models. That's one of the reasons I ask people what car and HU they have -- so I can determine whether they'll also need the extra reverse gear signal lead.

ADDED: I've heard from at least one BRZ owner from outside North America whose car did not have the reverse gear signal lead present on the factory harness, but his factory-fitted HU did not have rear camera capability (no display).

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-04-2015 at 10:43 PM.
SVXdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SVXdc For This Useful Post:
tracerit (03-01-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #311
Vroomin86

Drives: 2015 Fire
Quick bump, anyone here ever try this camera?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-Sc...f99769&vxp=mtr
Vroomin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #312
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Ok so i have a pioneer 5100nex and a Rydeen Miny camera. I connected the power and ground to the amplifier as other people have recommended but i can't figure out where to connect the reverse light wire.

I read a previous post that said connect it to a red and blue striped wire down by the steering wheel footwell in the panel down there. But now I am finding other posts saying that its the orange and white striped wire while others still say it is the pink wire.

upon connecting the red and blue wire the camera is always on and I can't turn it off no matter what i do. It won't even let me interact with any other function of my headunit.

Worst yet every write up says splice a different wire and they all seem to be getting it to work.

I know that the violet and white striped wire on my radio is supposed to go to the reverse lights can someone please tell me.

what wire do i need to splice into to get my camera to switch over when its in revers and switch back when it comes out of reverse?
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #313
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade7588 View Post
Ok so i have a pioneer 5100nex and a Rydeen Miny camera. I connected the power and ground to the amplifier as other people have recommended but i can't figure out where to connect the reverse light wire.

I read a previous post that said connect it to a red and blue striped wire down by the steering wheel footwell in the panel down there. But now I am finding other posts saying that its the orange and white striped wire while others still say it is the pink wire.

upon connecting the red and blue wire the camera is always on and I can't turn it off no matter what i do. It won't even let me interact with any other function of my headunit.

Worst yet every write up says splice a different wire and they all seem to be getting it to work.

I know that the violet and white striped wire on my radio is supposed to go to the reverse lights can someone please tell me.

what wire do i need to splice into to get my camera to switch over when its in revers and switch back when it comes out of reverse?
Pink wire, pin 5. It is the fifth wire from the top on the left most row of the big connector under the panel where the hood release is. Did this last night.

HOWEVER, if you have a BRZ you shouldn't need to do this. Only the FR-S needs this; the BRZ has this connection to start with. Check in your head unit diagnostic screen to be sure.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #314
greencounty

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Here's a picture:
http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/1/pr.../7549tut13.JPG
1969 Mustang Fastback 4MT - Royal Maroon
greencounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #315
Mx5racer

Drives: 97 Miata / 15 BRZ limited 6MT WRB
Garage
thanks for all the help
I am going to get this done this week
Mx5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:44 AM   #316
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
Any thoughts on how this compares to the SVXdc harness?
PAC CAM-TY11

I confirm that I was able to use this PAC harness on to install the Rydeen on my '15 BRZ Series Blue (Limited).

It does have wires for all the pins which is definitely overkill and bulky but I needed it asap so I ordered through amazon prime.

The one I got is updated from the one in the post above as they changed the color from the 6V wire from yellow to Red which matches the Rydeen cable colors. It also includes a male yellow RCA connector that comes from the other side of the harness. You could connect the two RCA plugs to pass through the video signal as any other wire.

I implemented the Parking Brake bypass hack by cutting the parking brake cable on pin 6 and connecting the radio facing half directly to the lose ground cable from the harness. The Rydeen camera ground is plugged back in the trunk area so the harness' one is not needed and free for this.

On another note, this camera has gone down in price a lot. Got it for $70 new. It is really good quality with heavy metal casing, not plastic and for the OEM look it was the best option available from those I researched. Beware of an eBay seller listing some new ones "without box" as they are knock off that don't work with 6V.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #317
greencounty

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
I implemented the Parking Brake bypass hack by cutting the parking brake cable on pin 6 and connecting the radio facing half directly to the lose ground cable from the harness. The Rydeen camera ground is plugged back in the trunk area so the harness' one is not needed and free for this.
Just as a note, the autoharnesshouse kit has the parking brake already bypassed. That is what I used for my install and it works well!
1969 Mustang Fastback 4MT - Royal Maroon
greencounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #318
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
On another note, this camera has gone down in price a lot. Got it for $70 new. It is really good quality with heavy metal casing, not plastic and for the OEM look it was the best option available from those I researched. Beware of an eBay seller listing some new ones "without box" as they are knock off that don't work with 6V.
DO NOT buy a Rydeen Duo camera from this eBay vendor. It's a knock off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rydeen-ZH07-...AAAOSwe-FU8Pq9

I and another forum member purchased cameras from him and they will not run on 6V. A genuine Rydeen camera should also have a serial#/model# sticker on it. Ours did not. You can read about it here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ght=rydeen+duo
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #319
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
DO NOT buy a Rydeen Duo camera from this eBay vendor. It's a knock off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rydeen-ZH07-...AAAOSwe-FU8Pq9

I and another forum member purchased cameras from him and they will not run on 6V. A genuine Rydeen camera should also have a serial#/model# sticker on it. Ours did not. You can read about it here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ght=rydeen+duo
Correct! that is the vendor I was referring to. I remembered reading that thread as I almost bought it from him and though I would point it out. It is listed for like $50 and comes up as the cheapest option so a lot of people are getting it. I have reported the listing but it has not been taken down.

Mine came with the retail box, has a serial number and worked with out issues on the 6V pin.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:49 AM   #320
Chillz

Drives: Asphalt FR-S & S14
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can you guys confirm that Rydeen Duo's that have been recently purchased still work with 6V even though the specs say 9-16V? I just want to make sure there have been no changes by the manufacturer over the years. Also, those that have recently purchased it and successfully installed it with the 6V source, where did you buy it from?
Chillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:35 AM   #321
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
what about this one on amazon

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GQTYG3Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_titl e_1&smid=A3S5JX6S4LCKI6"]Amazon.com : Rydeen RYD ZH07150B Universal Mini Camera, CMOS III NightVision Technology : Point And Shoot Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo[/ame]
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:13 AM   #322
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillz View Post
Can you guys confirm that Rydeen Duo's that have been recently purchased still work with 6V even though the specs say 9-16V? I just want to make sure there have been no changes by the manufacturer over the years. Also, those that have recently purchased it and successfully installed it with the 6V source, where did you buy it from?
After I purchased the knock off Rydeen Duo from eBay I contacted Rydeen about the camera. Here's the reply from Rydeen's director of sales and marketing:
"We do not sell to any On Line merchants and if a product is missing a serial number it will not have a warranty no matter what it's origin is. Unlike Costco, we do not sell "bulk" items. Sorry, I can't be of more assistance but when you buy products from ebay you are taking a risk. Good luck with your purchase."

I found out that the only authorized Rydeen online vendors are Al & Ed's AutoSound and Crutchfield. Al & Ed's is mainly a brick & mortar chain of car stereo installation shops and also has an online store. Rydeen may be giving them a pass due to the volume of cameras they purchase for their own installs. http://www.al-eds.com/Rydeen-Mobile-...0B-p22239.html

Crutchfield sells the Rydeen MINy but not the Duo. http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...en_camera.html

So where are ebay and Amazon vendors getting their Rydeen Duo cameras from? They may be gray market cameras and may or may not work with 6V.

You can do like I did and use AutoHarnessHouse's wire harness. This harness uses a 6-volt relay and the 12-volt accessory power provided to the stock head unit to provide a 12-volt output and composite video input for any standard automobile backup camera. http://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867.html
The FR-S also needs the reverse trigger wire.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 03-17-2016 at 06:24 AM.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote