follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #43
nayrk

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just broke last night :(

Mine just broke off yesterday while I got off work to put the sunshade away. I was hearing a few cracks here and there for a few days before but I didn't figure out where it was from... now I know.
nayrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #44
nayrk

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Getting it replaced! Warranty coveres it!

For all those with broken sun visors (in the future, hopefully not), Penske Toyota Downey in Downey, California will cover it under warranty no questions asked hassle free.
nayrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #45
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My passenger side broke early last week. I'm going in this weekend to see if they'll cover it under warranty. If they don't, that'll suck but I want it on record so that if Toyota sees enough of these things maybe they'll do something.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #46
ntr0py

Drives: '13 FR-S Asphalt M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1

Just happened to me too. 2013 FR-S wth 25K miles on it. Passenger side sun visor popped off while I was removing my sunshade. I also noticed that the plastic mount on my driver side sun visor is half cracked. So it's about to go too. Brought it to the dealership this morning and they replaced both of them on the warranty.

I hope this is not an every 3 year sort of thing...

The service advisor said that there's no new part number for the sun visors on the FR-S but they had issues in the past with the Camry and had to make a new part. Is history repeating itself?
ntr0py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #47
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I previously broke my driver side visor, which was replaced under warranty. I just broke my passenger side mirror, and I'm out of warranty. *groan*
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #48
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm going to try making a little triangular stiffener to go between the visor base plate and the car roof. Just need to get some 1/16" Al plate.

I have this feeling there is too much flex between the base plate and the roof and sun shades exacerbate it.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #49
P86RAVES

Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
My passenger side broke early last week. I'm going in this weekend to see if they'll cover it under warranty. If they don't, that'll suck but I want it on record so that if Toyota sees enough of these things maybe they'll do something.
Mine will be replaced under warranty.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM   #50
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I was going to be a smart ass and ask what the hell you guys were doing to break these then I realized where those of you that have real places are and understood the issue.
Move to where the sun isn't so freakin' intense and the visors will last forever.
Cole (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #51
cycleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I was going to be a smart ass and ask what the hell you guys were doing to break these then I realized where those of you that have real places are and understood the issue.
Move to where the sun isn't so freakin' intense and the visors will last forever.
I hate being cold! Having frost on my windshield this past week was traumatic.

Plus it's fun to send friends in cold and icy places pictures of playing on the beach on Christmas!
The Following User Says Thank You to cycleboy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #52
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Or don't be a clod and be careful taking your sunshade out. I really don't see how being a klutz and breaking a part means you are entitled to a warranty replacement. Toyota/Subaru didn't break it you did, buy a new one.

I'm not trying to be mean but having dealt with "warranty issues" for many years it just galls me when people think somebody else is supposed to be responsible for their mistake.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #53
cycleboy

It has nothing to do with being a klutz or ripping the damn shade off. It has everything to do with a poorly designed part that has a weak point.

I take great car of my car and I'm careful to not push the visor up too hard to hold up the shade. The shade is made of thin nylon and isn't pushing back hard on the visor.

Perhaps try fully understanding the issue before assuming it was user error! Typical attitude of someone at a dealer, assuming anything broken couldn't possibly be a design flaw.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #54
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't now and never have worked at a car dealer. I have handled hundreds of warranty issues on other consumer products though. I can say that well over half of those issues were due to user error of one sort or another and if the item had only been used the way the product spec manager had intended it would never have broken. I'm not saying that this isn't a light duty part and has a propensity to be damaged easily, I'm saying that the users are breaking them and shouldn't expect somebody else to pay for their "misuse."
Old 02-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #55
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My hinge broke in the same spot on both sides. Did I magically get clutzier on this car? I never broke sunshade hinges on my last car...

I reported the first hinge on a survey I received in the mail (I'm guessing it was one of those Initial Quality Surveys from JD Power).
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #56
P86RAVES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Or don't be a clod and be careful taking your sunshade out. I really don't see how being a klutz and breaking a part means you are entitled to a warranty replacement. Toyota/Subaru didn't break it you did, buy a new one.

I'm not trying to be mean but having dealt with "warranty issues" for many years it just galls me when people think somebody else is supposed to be responsible for their mistake.
Don't see how much pull force is the maximum in the user manual, but I doubt a tinkerbells tug should snap the thing from it's mount.

If I come across a cheap spring scale I'll measure it.